Splended

Newbie questions about selling on ebay

Hi!

I'm new at selling on ebay, so I have some newbie questions that I hope someone can help me out with. It's not possible to sell on Norwegian ebay (ebay.no) so I listed some items on ebay.com 2 days ago. English is not my native language and I suspect that I have done something wrong when I made the listings.

1. My listings have very few veiwings in my opinion. Since it's a worldwide auction site I expected more. When I Google search similar

items listed on ebay they show up instantly, but not mine. I even have problem finding my own items when I search ebay.com!

I included Worldwide shipping and placed the items in the right category so now I scratch my head.

Maybe my asking price is set too high, but I should at least have more than 20 veiws per item in 48 hours?

2. Regarding shipping: I often see listings with Worldwide shipping that excludes certain countries. I didn't find the option to exclude

countries when I made my listing. My options were USA or Worldwide only.

3. A customer is asking me over and over to reduse both starting price AND shipping price on one item. I suspect that I soon will

want to prevent him (block him?) from bidding/buying and from contacting me again. How do I do that?

I feel a bit lost here and hope that someone has the time to guide me a bit.

That's all for now. Thanks!

PS! I posted a link to my listings in the trade section on Tamiyaclub's main page. Look for username "Splended".

Since you're in the correct forum, why not post links to your eBay items so we can have a look at what you've done?

You can also plug your auctions on radiostyrt.no to attract local buyers.

I'm no expert on selling on eBay, but I've done my fair share of buying ;-)

Hi,

Ads all look fine to me, in fact I recognise the wheels and screw bags from my saved search mails!

I am on ebay.com.au and they came up in general searches no problems.

Do you have many people watching your items?

Maybe to attract collectors, or at least people who know what they are looking you might want to include the Tamiya part number in the title. I always search by those when looking for something specific.

Shipping options is different for every local variant of eBay, but you can always spell it out in the text of your ad.

Blocking people, a quick google:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Block-Certain-Bidders-From-Bidding-on-Your-eBay-Auction-/10000000004889627/g.html

Using ebay is always a bit of an adventure, there is one born every minute as they say.

Keep in mind that the last few minutes (probably seconds!!) of an auction is where the action takes place.

Also, I guess, the items you have listed are pretty specific, so maybe 10 views a day is to be expected.

To get views up you need more general terms in the title, (eg RC car), but views may not equal buyers.

I have had some equally specific items sell on ebay, sometimes not selling for 2 attempts, but then a buying frenzy on the 3rd. Go figure. I also still have a few things that I listed again and again but they just never sold.

Good luck!

Cristian..

PS, your English is better than most people I know!

Since you're in the correct forum, why not post links to your eBay items so we can have a look at what you've done?

You can also plug your auctions on radiostyrt.no to attract local buyers.

I'm no expert on selling on eBay, but I've done my fair share of buying ;-)

Thanks, I'll do just that!

"I'm no expert on selling on eBay, but I've done my fair share of buying ;-)" Me too ;-)

Hi!

I'm new at selling on ebay, so I have some newbie questions that I hope someone can help me out with. It's not possible to sell on Norwegian ebay (ebay.no) so I listed some items on ebay.com 2 days ago. English is not my native language and I suspect that I have done something wrong when I made the listings.

1. My listings have very few veiwings in my opinion. Since it's a worldwide auction site I expected more. When I Google search similar

items listed on ebay they show up instantly, but not mine. I even have problem finding my own items when I search ebay.com!

I included Worldwide shipping and placed the items in the right category so now I scratch my head.

Maybe my asking price is set too high, but I should at least have more than 20 veiws per item in 48 hours?

2. Regarding shipping: I often see listings with Worldwide shipping that excludes certain countries. I didn't find the option to exclude

countries when I made my listing. My options were USA or Worldwide only.

3. A customer is asking me over and over to reduse both starting price AND shipping price on one item. I suspect that I soon will

want to prevent him (block him?) from bidding/buying and from contacting me again. How do I do that?

I feel a bit lost here and hope that someone has the time to guide me a bit.

That's all for now. Thanks!

PS! I posted a link to my listings in the trade section on Tamiyaclub's main page. Look for username "Splended".

"Ads all look fine to me, in fact I recognise the wheels and screw bags from my saved search mails!". Good to know.

"I am on ebay.com.au and they came up in general searches no problems". Also good to know. I have to refine my search a bit before they show up. Maybe it's the way I search and not the way I listed them?

"Do you have many people watching your items?" Less than 30 veiws per item, but 4 watchers on some of them.

"Maybe to attract collectors, or at least people who know what they are looking you might want to include the Tamiya part number in the title. I always search by those when looking for something specific". Good idea. I'll try that next time.

"Shipping options is different for every local variant of eBay, but you can always spell it out in the text of your ad". Guess I'll have to do that.

"Also, I guess, the items you have listed are pretty specific, so maybe 10 views a day is to be expected". Hmmm... seems that my expectations were a bit unrealistic then. I thought that worldwide listing would generate at least hundred viewings per item.

"I have had some equally specific items sell on ebay, sometimes not selling for 2 attempts, but then a buying frenzy on the 3rd. Go figure. I also still have a few things that I listed again and again but they just never sold". I guess it's all normal then.

"PS, your English is better than most people I know!". Thanks! It took me about an hour to write the post ;-)

Thanks a lot for your input, Cristian! Two more days to go before the first listings end.

Great advice, I'd add to it and suggest you write out your own terms and conditions, keep it simple but then just copy it onto the end of every auction. Mine request the buyer pays or contacts me within 48hrs of the end of the auction... it really bugs me when someone wins and then doesn't pay you for ages! I also encourage people to contact me with any questions and state that by bidding on my items, they are agreeing to my terms.

It probably has no legal standing as far as eBay is concerned but it gives me some back up when the muppets complain because they could be bothered to read the whole description.

Great advice, I'd add to it and suggest you write out your own terms and conditions, keep it simple but then just copy it onto the end of every auction. Mine request the buyer pays or contacts me within 48hrs of the end of the auction... it really bugs me when someone wins and then doesn't pay you for ages! I also encourage people to contact me with any questions and state that by bidding on my items, they are agreeing to my terms.

It probably has no legal standing as far as eBay is concerned but it gives me some back up when the muppets complain because they could be bothered to read the whole description.

Ahh, you're right! I absolutely should have asked the bidders/buyers to pay within 48 hours. Totally forgot about that. Thanks!