SRB Bloke

Vintage SRB meet YES or NO

Right then, this weekend I went to the first of what we hope is an annual event 'DT02 meet at SHRCCC'

What a great day out.

But it got me thinking, how cool would it be to see a track of Rough Riders, then Sand Scorchers then Ford Rangers then Super Champs.

The images that came in to my head were awesome, but then I thought who would do it, one crash or roll on a modern track and you'll be loosing bits and breaking things.

So I decided that I need to try and find a BEACH venue,

my first question is:

Would anyone be interested?

2nd question:

Would you pay an entrance fee and how much (I think I'll have to try and find some private beach land and then build a track for the actual event)

3rd question:

Does anyone have any ideas for a location, I've spoken to 3 council's today none if which would let me fence off part of their beach for an event.

I know it would be difficult to set up a one off temporary track with transponders etc but it may be possible. I think I could organise it once I found a venue.? I'd be looking at a 1 or 2 day event, all the usual stuff burger vans, prizes, maybe a raffle.

The real concept here is an SRB event, so any ideas as to were to hold it, beach or not, would be much appreciated.I've got a few more places to try before I run out of ideas..

Steve

• Like 1

What a great idea, I would definitely support this and be willing to pay.

Sorry no ideas where it could be held as I couldn't live much further from the coast.

Maybe allow lexan shells though!!

Rich

Great idea need to get one 1st though :) here on island they fence off beach for volley ball and beach football each year so is possible

Great idea need to get one 1st though :) here on island they fence off beach for volley ball and beach football each year so is possible

That sounds interesting exactly where are you? which council would it be.. Its thier approval I'd need.

Isle of wight road trip it is then Andy..... I'd be up for this although I agree that lexan shells would be a great alternative to shells that people have spent hours trying to get correct although saying that I have a ranger and a suoer champ that would get an outing for this one. No idea on location though sorry. We had a bit of a meet at brean sands a couple of years back but it wasn't fenced off. Great fun

I am well up for this. I have a reasonable amount of track I could bring as well.

The best beach I know for RC is Pendine Sands in North Wales. Huge area of compact sand which dries during the day but no dunes. Convenient Loos and Cafe.

Other beaches that I've enjoyed are Ingoldmells in South Lincs and Uphill Beach in Weston Super Mare.

Getting a fenced off section is a great idea because dogs are a real problem.

J

Hey John. I think you'll find that Pendine sands is south wales?? Tenby way :-D

• Like 1

I am well up for this. I have a reasonable amount of track I could bring as well.

The best beach I know for RC is Pendine Sands in North Wales. Huge area of compact sand which dries during the day but no dunes. Convenient Loos and Cafe.

Other beaches that I've enjoyed are Ingoldmells in South Lincs and Uphill Beach in Weston Super Mare.

Getting a fenced off section is a great idea because dogs are a real problem.

J

isle of wight council or maybe ryde isle of wight town council

Thanks guys, afew good points have come up here...

Bodyshells : I think lexan is a great idea, but I'd let everyone make thier own decision... But ranger and champ races I'd like the original shells in some form or another..

Location : Some good ideas there I'll look in to those, its been said that I should just fence off a beach without permission. But thats too risky, we could get kicked off which would be very annoying after all the effort.

As you can imagine setting up a temporary full on track could be very difficult or EXPENSIVE, for example buying the transponders set-up etc. (i'm hoping to find one on ebay). The orange net fencing will be approx £150-£200 to fence off a big enough area.

All I need to know is that there would be a big enough interest, super gripper has told me how awkward these things are to arrange with BIG success...

So this idea maybe a way off but is definately something I'd like to continue to explore...

Keep giving me as many ideas as you have... we'll get there in the end

IF YOU HAVE ANY INTEREST IN ATTENDING AN SRB EVENT THEN LET ME KNOW..... 'THANKS' THE MORE INTEREST THE BIGGER CHANCE OF IT HAPPENING..!!!!

A transponder set-up like the AMB Mylaps is around £3000 mate, so you need to look at cheaper systems (Although they are all expensive). If you were racing you can just manually count the laps (like we did with Sand scorchers back in the day) There is a lot of free software (This one is very good http://www.rctiming.com/) that allows you to do this, you just put number stickers on the cars and when they cross the line press the corresponding number. You dont get exact lap times but as long as you press the numbers in order to when they cross the line (And you pay attention) you will be fine. :)

As to the event, I like the idea, but I dont own an old SRB anymore (although if anyone wants to sell me a basher one for cheap, I could be in). BTW I think the shells should all be proper shells not lexan else whats the point, you may as well run dt02s with scorcher / rough Rider lexan shells.... actually maybe that could be another class...

Oh god, I've been there the last 3 years as well... I don't know why I typed 'north'. Pendine Sands is South Wales. :-s

Hi, I be more than happy going to an all SRB Event.

What about a grass setup for a track? I guess that be easier to source than an area than a beach. Some established off-road tracks ie Kidderminster are alright for the SRB's as they are not too rough.

A transponder set-up like the AMB Mylaps is around £3000 mate, so you need to look at cheaper systems (Although they are all expensive). If you were racing you can just manually count the laps (like we did with Sand scorchers back in the day) There is a lot of free software (This one is very good http://www.rctiming.com/) that allows you to do this, you just put number stickers on the cars and when they cross the line press the corresponding number. You dont get exact lap times but as long as you press the numbers in order to when they cross the line (And you pay attention) you will be fine. :)

As to the event, I like the idea, but I dont own an old SRB anymore (although if anyone wants to sell me a basher one for cheap, I could be in). BTW I think the shells should all be proper shells not lexan else whats the point, you may as well run dt02s with scorcher / rough Rider lexan shells.... actually maybe that could be another class...

Thats exactly what my back-up plan was going to be for the racing, thanks for the software link.....

I agree on the bodyshell idea, but didn't want to force people in to running a re-re or vintage shell etc.. I don't want to put people off from coming.

Great idea, but you may well run into issues with public liability insurance if you run as a organised event. Winter months, whilst cold and often wet, do present themselves with empty beaches. A bit of organised course building in a quiet spot would soon have an informal session set up.

Hi, I be more than happy going to an all SRB Event.

What about a grass setup for a track? I guess that be easier to source than an area than a beach. Some established off-road tracks ie Kidderminster are alright for the SRB's as they are not too rough.

I'm open to suggestions.... anyone else know 'Kiddie' well or got any pics...? and you're right it would be easier to arrange..

Great idea, but you may well run into issues with public liability insurance if you run as a organised event. Winter months, whilst cold and often wet, do present themselves with empty beaches. A bit of organised course building in a quiet spot would soon have an informal session set up.

I know what you mean and its why two councils I spoke to wanted over £5000 to have an area of beach, and the health and saftey regs for putting up the fencing were absolutly ridiculous... :(

Maybe what we need is private land rather than public - anyone know someone that works at a sand quarry?

By the way, I'd be happy to run my Frankenscorcher with it's re-re hard shell, but not my Mk1 :)

I'm going to do a bit more research, but you are spot on private land would definately be better... My idea won't work without the right venue, maybe a more informal SRB event would be more likely...

Anyone lives in Sand Banks with a beach front property :)

SRB Bloke,

As far as transponders go, you could approach one of the RC shops/tracks and ask to 'rent' their set up. This is what happens at most events here in Thailand as only a couple of tracks have a full set of transponders, so they loan them out for race meetings.

This sounds like a great event and I sincerely hope you can get it going!

Steve.

This sounds a great idea, im sure it will give you a major headache getting it going, but i hope you pull it off, I think you might end up having it on either private land or at an RC club. I don't have an original scorcher but i do own a re-re, how about a separate class for re-re's.

WOW SRB's racing against each other off road would be RC Nirvana.

Has to be using a factory shell which you can get the complete bodyset from Hong Kong for £30 posted.

I've raced at Ipswich RC club before with a TA-02 Truck near the Orwell Bridge. Also they have the Tarmac circuit for racing Tamiya Mini's and 1:10 Touring cars. I could contact them to see if they could lay on something.

http://www.coastalrc.webspace.virginmedia.com/homepage.htm

• Like 1

Count me in for a SRB meeting Steve.

The DT02 Challenge was a great laugh and has given me a taste for racing "unsuitable" cars round a track ;)

It might be worth contacting Evoman (Malcom) about using the Kidderminster off road track. I'm sure he's organised race meets for there before.

I'm open to suggestions.... anyone else know 'Kiddie' well or got any pics...? and you're right it would be easier to arrange..

This comes to mind ;-

and ;-

I video'd them both myself when I was there in 2007.

You certainly got my attention by posting this topic ;)

Best Regards,

Alistair G.

• Like 1

Well I've a big response to this topic on hear and private pm's/emails.....

THANK YOU TO EVERY ONE...

It seems the concept is great, but a full on beach event isn't possible without a huge expense and masses of health and saftey rubbish. The only that will happen is a private venue that has lots of sand..

Big events need large numbers to attend and it seems that no matter how hard the organisers try, turn outs are very low these days.

Back in 2009 there were loads of TC members at the annual event, last year you only needed two hands to count the numbers that actually showed up.

So I'm considering a more informal event, but still need to find a venue, I'm thinking maybe Kiddie, but I have contacted a few bigger venues/clubs and am waiting for a reply. But I haven't heard back from Kiddie yet either...

Keep those ideas and signs of interest coming.....

cheers

Steve

Try to use some social networking and other vintage RC sites to promote the event Steve. I'm pretty sure John's Iconic RC site would raise some interest on Facebook and Youtube etc. The DT event looked to be a success and I'm sure that a lot of members here would love to be a part of this.

If I'm in the UK when you hold this event, count me in!

Regards,

Steve.