Sign in to follow this  
gravetxt-1

Grim Reaper not running properly any ideas?

Hi guys I tested my latest truck build aka Grim Reaper yesterday it is a modified Juggernaut 1 you may have seen my showroom updates.

Truck runs beautiful but often gets jittery on the power moving forward plus reverse will not work at all at times takes several gradual pushes on the throttle to get it moving.

Real shame as when it does run it runs perfectly. Any ideas?

Electrics on my truck;

Entire drivetrain to stock Jugg 2 specs so 15T pinions as of Jugg 2

Tamiya sport tuned motor x2

Tamiya teu-106 bk twin motor esc (heatsinks run cool to the touch, no flashing red light to indicate overheating, esc does not switch itself off)

Ansmann 3700 mAh 7.2 v battery (tried 2000 mAh as well did not solve issue. Both sticks are well used maybe an issue?)

Bog standard Hitec ranger 2n 40mhz 2 channel radio set (cheap but reliable have had many of these sets) brand new AA batterys installed

Hitec hp-2rnb receiver (do not have a separate bec uses on board bec)

Hitec hs 645 mg servo (2 wheel steer)

My stock txt-1 ran same set up except it had stock 540 motors and hs 645 servo x2 4ws and had no issues at all. Ran previous version of teu-106 bk though maybe something in that?

Will appreciate any advice you guys can give.

Alex.

I think it's the lack of bec lots of juice there with the twin motors and twin high torque servos think it may just be struggling without.

@ dyahipfakta I have just one servo as truck is two wheel steer but does seem likely this is the cause.

I have a battery holder for four AA battery's is it simply a case of hooking battery holder to another separate on/ off switch and plug into the battery socket on the receiver?

So the servo will be powered by the AA battery's do they also give power to the receiver or does receiver still take its power from the NiCad?

Ok guys ran the truck today with the battery box into the receiver and has not worked running issues are still there. Any suggestions?

Am tempted to order a new NiCad don't want to waste my money though I will see what you guys think first.

what battery connectors? Tamiya-JST type are garbage. Go wit Deans T-type or traxxas

Could be the battery is flat, and or the ESC has sen better days and is overworked in this setup

Yes my battery has the standard Tamiya connectors what I mean is can a worn out battery cause the running issues I have?

Esc is brand new it looks like teu-106 bk cannot handle sport tuned motors x2.

If you wanted to eliminate the BEC / ESC, you could always try with an old school MSC (3 step mechanical speedo). This will tell you if the battery has had it or not. If it works ok on an MSC, then the ESC probably can't handle the power. If it doesn't work on the MSC, then the battery has had it.

BEC output of the TEU 106 BK is 6V and can provide a max. current of 2 amps. I had two nearly dead NiMH batteries were the ESC was repeatedly cutting off power. I was able to revive them by repeated discharging and charging cycles.