Sign in to follow this  
tamiya.mad

Changing gear on a blazer

Hi

I have a blazer that i have just restored, i want to give it a test run before i put it on the shelf.!!

I have a shift gate, do i just start off in first upto full speed, then return to zero throttle and then shift to 2nd upto full throttle then return to zero throttle, shift to third and then upto full throttle?

Thought i had better ask you guys before i wreck something

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers

Ben

Also what are these cars like for cornering because i don't wanna roll it!!!!

Hi Ben, Can we see a picture? The more Blazers the better.

Now I dont own a Blazer but I do have 3 hilux's. I don't tend the change gears like you would in your real 1:1 car. I usually, have a shift gate and just select the gear I want and go. To change gear I return to the neutral position but still on that gear. Not centre stick if you do this it often grinds. Once the truck has stopped I select the new gear I want and watch the truck trundle off.

Its very hard to change gears on these older gearboxes whilst the truck is running without crunching them. The more modern Hi-lifts do it easily.

As for cornering; well brace yourself for a bumpy ride. What surface are you thinking? On grass where mine are usually driven or compact mud in the woods they bounce around a lot if cornering at speed. I think it would be quite diffucult to roll one though as they really dont have that much power but it might be possible in 3rd in the right conditions.

Best way is just to get out there and give it a run, you'll soon find out how it likes to drive.

Hope this helped,

Marcus

Hi Marcus

Mechanically she is finished but i haven't started the bodywork yet and i am still after a few bits (just rear lights- I hope), I will post a few pics of what i have done so far when i have some!!!, i really should have taken some pics of the restoration!!

I am only going to run her once on tarmac because i restored her to be a shelfer, she is my pride and joy and basically i cant afford another to play with :D

Thanks for the response, i hope to finish her this year but my wife and i have just had a baby girl so we will have to see

Take it easy

Ben