Sign in to follow this  
BadWagon

Hot Shot Restoration and ReRe Parts

Hey fellas, here my dilemma, I'm restoring a vintage Hot Shot for my oldest son (Mac) for Christmas. I picked up 2 vintage Hot Shot beaters to make one complete car out of.

My plan was to upgrade the cups and dog bones to the re re parts, but upon assembly yesterday the gearboxes don't wanna close. The case halves don't go together, there is a gap.

So, my question is, do I need the re re gear cases to use with the re re cups? The e clips are thicker, so I'm assuming that's where the issue is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vintage Hot Shot serie uses the C-clips in the diff cups. C-clips are very very thin.
Re-re Hot Shot serie uses the E-clips that are thicker than C-clips. In fact the re-re gearboxes halves are slightly different from the original one to match with the E-clips.
If you want to use E-clips you must switch to new re-re gearbox halves or you must use C-clips.
The diff cups joints are identical in both series (only the outer diameter of the cup changes) so the problem is the configuration clip/halve.

Max

PS Another solution is that you can shave the diff bigger gears to give the right clearance but I would avoid this job. You must be a clocks repairer.

As kontermax has said , just put in the C clips onto the new cups . Or if you want to use the E clips " you will have to get the new gearbox's " .

I have done both on different cars . old gearbox with C clips with new cups etc & new gearbox's with the E clips on an old car .

If the c clips weren't such a pita I'd just use them. But at least the e clips are easy to remove.

C-clips are an inferno to put in and remove... :-S

Max

I find the C clips easy to put on , But a bug ger to get off .

As i push the C clips down the cup shaft & bang it's on ..