Daves956

HOR motorcycles

The hang on rider motorcycles are just too much fun. There are a few really essential upgrades to look into if your going to run them very often. After the obvious bearings and battery stuff. The Ali gearbox is a must to keep the chain from loosening up and coming off, the oval washers to keep the frame from splitting too. The one that surprised me was the ali wheels. I figured they were just bling but the drivability difference is huge.

I run the black Suzuki all the time but the Honda is a shelfer. I'm going to be trying a few more mods but figured I'd pass on what I've already found.

DSCN0356.jpg'

I've not really paid much attention too these until your post Daves956. Seen a few vids of the modern RC bikes but they didnt impress me as the handling isn't very realistically with their gyros. This HOR thread interested me enough to look up some YouTube clips and wow, the handling and engineering are amazing. There's a build up clip that shows how intricate the steering/driver mechanism is and the amount of articulation the figure has... so now I'm tempted to get one but I have a dilemma... I really like the idea of building a new kit, getting it working and watching it run, but I have no where to run the thing! It'd be a pricey shelf queen and I'm not really a shelf queen kind of guy... but I'm still tempted :)

Have you got any more pics or clips of your bikes?

I'll post pictures of the latest one in the next couple of days. I run mine in the parking lot here and it draws a crowd every time. A friend has a couple and we race them in the street in front of his house. Unless your looking for top speed you can run them just about anywhere. A good motor ESC combo is the EZrun 12 turn brushless that sells for around 50 US. I run mine on Flysky so not much cost there either.

I was at work this morning and got a call asking about how to ship a package and save some cost by combining orders. It was from Kyosho USA, I'm liking that a lot.

I picked up the latest one on Ebay and it was used and had issues. Missing fairing full replacement was 6 dollars, a new full rider also 6, handlebars and all the black parts 3. All the steering pieces and rider movement pieces were a wopping 10. I also went for the bling chrome chassis and swing arm for 11. Now it's like building a brand new one with additions of my own choosing.

This one will be a Kenny Roberts YZR500 and in the end it'll be like a 300 or 400 dollar bike at a fraction of the cost. Not a shelf queen, but a runner with chassis protection on all the points that ever get scraped up.

A couple more really good upgrades are the GPW14 high grip tires for around 20. ali gearbox 18 or so and the oval washers 8. With these and ali wheels they are unbelievably stable. I had the NSR out a couple days ago and put it down because of deep sand once and then when the battery was dead, so not bad for 25 minutes or so.

The other plus is that all the leftovers from this project are going to a buddy with a lot of bits and pieces already so he can build another one. He wants all the black and I wanted the YZR, so it all worked out great.

Kyosho is putting out a better set of tires in the next couple of months, the GPW14b's. Not really needed in my opinion but I'll be glad to try them out anyway. :D

The red Suzuki is the black bike with the primer rider in a previous picture. I like the red.

The latest one was completely stripped and a few of the harder to find items were kept. The chrome frame and swing arm are pretty easy to deal with. There are really just a few sub assemblies to deal with and it's easy work. The upper servo mount and driver actuators are probably the most difficult and took about a half hour. They really are easy and don't have that many parts.

The black 3 spoke wheels are for the Suzuki and the ali ones on it go to gold or yellow for the YZR. Gearbox is done and all that's left of the frame is maybe 6 screws to tie it all together.DSCN0364.jpg

the fairing, tank and fenders are all primarily yellow and the graphics are ready once the black is done. I need to dress up the front forks just a bit.

Hopefully this shows the plan for this one.

DSCN0365.jpg

Right now I only have one motor I like, so I swapped it into the Honda and tried it out with some power. It pulls the front end up with ease and runs great still. One minor mishap, I didn't let go fast enough and it flipped but didn't even get a scratch. :lol:

I like them a lot. Think my favourite is the Honda. Time to start dropping hints for Christmas :)

I like them a lot. Think my favourite is the Honda. Time to start dropping hints for Christmas :)

There's more than 10 available at 120 US on Ebay with 20 in shipping from Hong Kong. That's a really good price for NIB.

Thanks for sharing! That Yamaha looks great! Did you make the decals yourself or are they available somewhere?

Thanks for sharing! That Yamaha looks great! Did you make the decals yourself or are they available somewhere?

Thanks, I was looking for reference photos on the web and there were scans of the bike and rider decal sheets for the Yamaha. The graphics needed to be fixed but it sure beat doing it from scratch.

The Suzuki is all from scratch but it's one of the riders I grew up watching so it was a fun build. The YZR is probably my favorite, Kenny Roberts was just unstoppable on it and it was the bike I wanted to do the most.

It came out really great! The YZR sure is a classic.

Not really into rc-bikes but stumbled across a NIB Nouva faor and it was a treat to build. After reading your thread I need one of these too;)

Could you tell me where you found the originals for the Yamaha decals?

It came out really great! The YZR sure is a classic.

Not really into rc-bikes but stumbled across a NIB Nouva faor and it was a treat to build. After reading your thread I need one of these too;)

Could you tell me where you found the originals for the Yamaha decals?

I did a google image search for Kenny Roberts decals and there they were.

The bikes are great fun and there are all sorts of hopups for them too.

I'm running 1000 MAH 2S 20C Ares lipos in all mine, real light weight and around 14 dollars each. They give about 25 minutes of run time.

Dave I would love to see one of these decaled up with a Barry Sheene rider figure . Old School I know but Barry was the rider back in the days of my youth . One of these liveried up as the 1979 Heron - Suzuki Team Bike that came second to Kenny Roberts at Silverston would be very cool .

Dave I would love to see one of these decaled up with a Barry Sheene rider figure . Old School I know but Barry was the rider back in the days of my youth . One of these liveried up as the 1979 Heron - Suzuki Team Bike that came second to Kenny Roberts at Silverston would be very cool .

From everything I'm finding for that one, it looks a lot like the Mamola Suzuki. I bit more yellow details and very different helmet. Maybe like this for starters

LategreatBarrySheene.jpg

From everything I'm finding for that one, it looks a lot like the Mamola Suzuki. I bit more yellow details and very different helmet. Maybe like this for starters

LategreatBarrySheene.jpg

good starting point - at least you have the famous number 7 :D. IMO Sheene was the better Rider but Roberts had the better machine that season .

good starting point - at least you have the famous number 7 :D. IMO Sheene was the better Rider but Roberts had the better machine that season .

I know what you mean, Roberts was pretty unstoppable for quite a while. I liked watching anybody that really challenged him. That's why I did the Randy Mamola Suzuki. I'd like to kinda redo the Rothmans Honda as a #2 fast Eddie Lawson

I know what you mean, Roberts was pretty unstoppable for quite a while. I liked watching anybody that really challenged him. That's why I did the Randy Mamola Suzuki. I'd like to kinda redo the Rothmans Honda as a #2 fast Eddie Lawson

Sheene's only problem was that he was almost too competitive and as a result slightly crazy IMO . He rode 100 % on the edge 100 % of the time with no margin for error - kinda how Senna drove . As a result he crashed too often and that cost him championships he should have won . To me he will always be a legend though .

Sheene's only problem was that he was almost too competitive and as a result slightly crazy IMO . He rode 100 % on the edge 100 % of the time with no margin for error - kinda how Senna drove . As a result he crashed too often and that cost him championships he should have won . To me he will always be a legend though .

The bikes are really quite reasonably priced :D

The bikes are really quite reasonably priced :D

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I already have too many projects and ideas :lol:

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I already have too many projects and ideas :lol:

Now your just trying to convince yourself. The motorcycle bug has already bitten you and sooner or later you'll be doing wheelies down the street. ;)

Sheene was my favourite too. As it happens I got to chat with one of his mechanics a few years ago. Through my previous job I was lucky enough to help out on the Suzuki bike stand at the 2005 NEC bike show. Chatting and swapping stories with the mech guys one of the nicest was an older chap called Martin (can't remember his last name) and it turns out he was one of the main mechanics/designer that worked on Sheene's race team from back in the 70's. He'd been with the company since then and risen to a high executive position in Suzuki GB but was still a genuine, everyday nice bloke and very entertaining to talk to.

Sheene would be a good one to do, the bike and rider graphics are all over the place.

Sheene was my favourite too. As it happens I got to chat with one of his mechanics a few years ago. Through my previous job I was lucky enough to help out on the Suzuki bike stand at the 2005 NEC bike show. Chatting and swapping stories with the mech guys one of the nicest was an older chap called Martin (can't remember his last name) and it turns out he was one of the main mechanics/designer that worked on Sheene's race team from back in the 70's. He'd been with the company since then and risen to a high executive position in Suzuki GB but was still a genuine, everyday nice bloke and very entertaining to talk to.

I was born in Batley , West Yorkshire and grew up with the Padgetts lads . As kids we went to loads of race meetings . Steve Parrish and Mick Grant are also friends of mine . I never raced ( too big and heavy lol ) but I have ridden some of the Honda team bikes on test days - totally awesum .

I made a little progress but still need to stuff the electronics into the Yamaha. There's a few little details before they're all ready to run but nothing major. The Suzuki is on original tires waiting for Customs to release the high grip tires for it so it's at a disadvantage. With that said...I really like seeing all three together like this.

DSCN0368.jpg

• Like 1

Well even geared down the Suzuki with the hard tires and 9000kv isn't a good thing...unless your into speed wobbles. It took the crash pretty well considering everything that made contact with the asphalt.

On the other side of it I couldn't help but think about the movie Mad Max and laugh. Something about scooter trash and a rider loosing his lower arm and what was in his hand at the time came to mind. :o

DSCN0369.jpg