cain1

paint removal

whats the the best , easiest , safest (for the bodyshell not me) way to remove old pait from my ranger body or any other body come to think of it lol .

thanks

Options

Soak in brake fluid - takes days , if not weeks dependent upon the paints used and number of layers

Orange boxed oven pride oven cleaner (put body in the supplied bag, pour in the oven cleaner and leave overnight/ 24 hours with occasional turning of the bag).

I've never had success with brake fluid, oven pride has worked every time for me ( the orange boxed one. !)

I like using dettol (version with chloroxylenol in it), its fairly quick (only a few hours) and doesn't seem to me to affect the plastic as much as brake fluid. Its not cheap, about on par here in Australia with brake fluid. I've not got much experience with oven cleaner, but it seems to be quicker while oven cleaner can be had for a lot less.

Depends on the paint used - my latest Clod Buster shell wouldn't budge with my usual oven cleaner method so i got the brake fluid out and voilĂ  - the paint is coming off - never had any success with brake fluid before...

I am going to give the Dettol method a go for my next resto.

excellent, if you can post some before and after pics please. Also make sure you were gloves, the dettol stinks and makes wifes wary of you!

I keep a five gallon bucket full of superclean automotive degreaser. its in a purple container and usually sold in 1 gallon juggs.

dunk the parts and let it sit for a few days.

I have used this for hundreds of parts over the years and have never damaged any.

Pure carwash soap does the job, doesn't ruine the lexan and the stickers.

Tricky to find but if you go in a carwash probably the owner can give you some.

Ma

There is a product available in the UK called Modelstrip, which is specifically designed for removing paint from plastic models. I used it on a 20 year old king Tiger body without any side effects (me or the shell) at all, and it works within 24hrs.

There is a product available in the UK called Modelstrip, which is specifically designed for removing paint from plastic models. I used it on a 20 year old king Tiger body without any side effects (me or the shell) at all, and it works within 24hrs.

This sounds really interesting. Who is the manufacturer of this product?

I've always used caustic soda but I have a shell I'm trying to strip and it just wont touch it. I tried Oven Brite (similar to Oven Pride) but that hasn't worked either.

Help!

I use desolvit graffiti remover on hard bodies, takes the paint off very quickly but DO NOT use it on lexan as it will melt it. So far I've used it on a 30 Sand Scorcher and a 25 year old Blackfoot shell with no side effects.

Take a look at the results in my thread here: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=69984

I've always used caustic soda but I have a shell I'm trying to strip and it just wont touch it. I tried Oven Brite (similar to Oven Pride) but that hasn't worked either.

Help!

The cheaper Oven Brite doesn't work in my experience, the pukka orange boxed oven pride does though. You'll instantly notice it's about twice the viscosity of the other ;)