Sign in to follow this  
simensays

TC members - stick or wheel control?

What do people on tamiyaclub prefere? The old stick controllers or the more modern wheel control?

When I bought my first Tamiya car in many year this xmas, the dude behind the counter, told me to forget about the stick control and that nobody used that anymore. I was alway very comfortable with the sticks - but I ended up buying the "wheeler". I have grown to like it, but I sometimes think about getting the old stick out of the closet. I saw some action photos the other day in someones showroom, there was a pic of three or four TC members driving their cars - and they were all using sticks!

Is this to keep it "vintage" or is it simply preffered? What do you use?

I grew up on sticks but went to wheel radios. Now when I use a stick radio I have a hard time controlling the car. there is no right or wrong, its all a matter of personal preference. From what I understand is that Masami Hirosaki uses a stick radio.

Jim

I had a acoms steerwheel in 1986, it was a copy of an old KO radio from a few years earlier.. so they arent exactly new..

it you are in the UK you would be forgiven for thinking so tho...

no one had a steerwheel when i had mine in 86, no one in the uk i mean, well, very rare.. sticks were the big thing in racing back in the day and still are used a lot, but certainly at my local club there are more people using steerwheels now..

I used a stick radio (Futaba) way back in the 1980s and figured they were the best. When getting back into RC, I was determined to get a stick radio. However, I ened up with an RTR car which came with a wheel radio. I figured I'd eventually get used to it. I never even noticed. It was only after running thru the first pack that I realized I didn't have to think about the wheel. It just worked. n But, I'm equally comfortable using a stick radio. My 5 year old son can use both too.

Had always sticks in the past, but when I came back to the RC hobby 3 years ago with a Yokomo Tourer everybody told me to buy a wheel RC and so I did. Didnt drive very much with it, so still I guess I drive better with sticks, also since 90% of the used cars I buy come with stick most of my cars have it.

IMHO to an vintage Tamiya old sticks match much better, with their vintage looking Tx, huge Rx and servos, nothing more suitable than an old dark green![:0] Acoms... [;)]

I find the stick radios hard to use on cars for somw reason. I do OK with them on my airplanes though. The wheel radios just feel more natural to me on both my cars and boats.

Just my $.02 (unadjusted for inflation)

I've used a stick radio since 1990. Earlier in the month I decided to take the plunge and try a steerwheel transmitter. When I turned up to the racetrack and went for a bit of a practice it was slightly awkward for the first 2 laps. After that it just 'clicked' and I would say that it has made no difference either way in terms of my overall performance. I will probably use the steering wheel only for my racing and continue using my numerous old stick radios for recreational truck use.

i used stick transmitters as a kid,later on as a teenager racing boats i used sticks & wheels.now i use both types but i preffer wheel

radios.my favorites are airtronics wheel transmitters.... sanja.

I have always used sticks since i started about 6 years ago. I have a wheel one on my emaxx but dont think much of it to be honest. I think i will always use sticks. Unfortunately, you cant buy a decent (mid priced) stick controller here in the uk. You can either pay around £200-300 or £5-15! Still, the cheaps ones are alright and does the job.

I cannot cope with steerwheel transmitters, i dont think its so much the steering but the trigger throttle, I will stick with sticks (excuse the pun[:P])

I've raced with sticks for 20 years, so they are perfectly natural to me. I have tried wheel transmitters though. The steering is no problem, I found remembering to push the trigger forwards to brake was what messed me up. Too much time was spent trying to remember to push the trigger forwards when I approached the corners, so I stuck with sticks.

Masami Hirosaka uses a KO Esprit II stick radio, but then he can also run at racing speed driving with his feet - its very impressive to watch.

Me and Masami use the same transmitter!

Can get round ok with a wheel, but like Terry I've been using sticks for over 20 years now.(I just started young before you get any ideas!)

The club I race at here in Canada I am the only one using sticks, but doesn't stop me winning the A from time to time....

You are all a bit behind the times...

I've been using the Brown Thought Controller since about 1985.

It hasn't won me any races but has made all my hair drop out.

1955_doc_d.jpg

I've always used a stick radio, and actually all those days the same model: an Acoms Techniplus Alpha (27mHz). On holiday a few years ago, I met a guy with a Wild Dagger and a wheel radio. I grabbed the thing and it immediately went fine, it took only a few seconds before I really drove as well as usual. Now my brother got a car with a wheel radio and I held the thing and it works just fine.

I don't even think I care. Though stick is prefered as I am more used to it and I can hold the transmitter with 2 hands. [;)]

Here is what I run:

Cars, truck: Gun with a wheel

Tank 4ch: Stick

Tank 2ch: Gun - Hitech - I use the trim button on the handle for firing the gun.

Bruiser -Stick -but I want to try a 3ch gun.

I have started back in 1980 with sticks for averything I ran - cars, boats and planes. Nearing the end of I think 1996 I got a KO Propo Precious and later a Mars. These I use on my 1:10 on and off road racing cars. Still like the sticks for offroad crawling, boats and (obvious) planes.

JAkes

I've been driving hobby grade RC vehicles since the 80s. Back then, everyone used sticks. I got used to it, though many of my newer transmitters have steering wheels. I have no problem switching back and forth.

I think if I had the choice starting out, I would have gone straight to the steering wheel type. It is easier to learn and easier to hold. However, the sticks have some nice advantages. You can quickly snap the steering hard over one way or the other, and if you have a mechanical speed control, you can jam it into reverse while traveling forward. When the streets are wet or playing in the dirt, slamming it into reverse produces some wild spins.

I'm teaching my 3 year primarily with steering wheel type transmitters.

myturn.jpg

lunchbox.jpg

I use both stick and wheel.

I found that when I want to play, I feel better with stick.

When I want to race, I go on wheel. I have more control in steering

and brake with it.

Roby