ddaenen1

Finally a Dyna Storm!

Thanks for the tips! Very helpfull. I will need some more time to get into this.

In the mean time, I finally made it to complete the electronics. The previous owner had extended the servo cable and i'm not in favour of such practices so i removed the extension and soldered the servo cables to the terminals which i had first removed from the connector housing. A work of patience but turned out fine.

The pics:

DS10.jpg

DS12.jpg

DS11.jpg

All in all, not much more i can do at this point in time than continueing my quest to find a body and decals and finding the few parts that i would replace if i find them although they would only be mainly for cosmetical reasons as the car runs great in its current condition.

Still contemplating the ***** body option but there is no rush as long as i haven't sourced the decals. I do have my eye on an Acto Power Pink which i will get if the price is fair but only then. Otherwise the 02H stays in, maybe not as close to the original as the Acto Powerpink but close enough, me thinks.

• Like 1

I suggest you the ***** body waiting to find an original one and some decals from other makes.

Max

• Like 1

I have to agree, it took me an age and a lot of money just to get a decal set, a body set I'm yet to see for sale! The ***** body is great, at least, the one i have is superb, and you can always just add some nice TRF decals etc till an original one may pop up?

lee

I suggest you the ***** body waiting to find an original one and some decals from other makes.

Max

***** body ordered today :) Any tips to get the masking between blue and black correct without the decals?

my mate is restoring his dyna storm as well. he has most of the decals with the exception on the white strips.
what he has done is downloaded a picture of the decals http://s125.photobucket.com/user/94eg/media/rc/DynaStormDecals.jpg.html then he is going to cut the white strips from white vinyl sheet.

might help you out masking up

Tamiya tape, it'll bend well down the sidings and blow in the white strip after the first two colors, you'll need to back the blue beforehand mind, simples! Be nicer having those strips in paint IMO!

lee

Just paint the white stripe into the body so you don't have to worry about it.

Just paint the white stripe into the body so you don't have to worry about it.

That would be great but i don't have the skills to do that. I can do a good spray paint job but masking is not one of my specialties. At least not yet. If i would decide to go for it anyways, what would be the correct approach? First the white strips and then the blue and last the black?

1st: Mask the windows and the thin white stripe (cut long strips of masking tape with a straight edge)

2nd: Mask over everything that is going to be black

3rd: Lay down your coats of blue till it's almost evenly opaque when held to the light (more is better with PS16)

4th: Pull up all the black area masking and lay down coats of black until it's even when held to the light (yes back the PS16 with black so it's not transparent)

5th: Pull up the white stripe masks and lay down your white paint until it's as opaque as possible when held up to the light (don't spray the entire shell white)

6th: Pull up the window masks and you're done

Remember this is just a Kamtec shell so don't worry about having to put original stickers on it later. Just get some TRF stickers or something and you will be good.

I will reverse a couple of passages.

- Mask everything you need to mask.

- Paint the metallic Blue.

- Paint with white. This will urns your blue lighter.

- Unmask the black parts and re mask the blue/white parts.

- paint black parts.

Max

1st: Mask the windows and the thin white stripe (cut long strips of masking tape with a straight edge)

2nd: Mask over everything that is going to be black

3rd: Lay down your coats of blue till it's almost evenly opaque when held to the light (more is better with PS16)

4th: Pull up all the black area masking and lay down coats of black until it's even when held to the light (yes back the PS16 with black so it's not transparent)

5th: Pull up the white stripe masks and lay down your white paint until it's as opaque as possible when held up to the light (don't spray the entire shell white)

6th: Pull up the window masks and you're done

Remember this is just a Kamtec shell so don't worry about having to put original stickers on it later. Just get some TRF stickers or something and you will be good.

I would not back PS16 with a light color. Looks weird.

Id back the blue with a silver, but its all different opinions that make it interesting.

lee

I would be most interested what the best colour is to back PS16 as i have just started working on my Avante 2K1 body which is also going to be PS16. I didn't back the 1988 Avante sheel though and that turned out very well.

It's best if it's not backed with anything. Thick layers of PS16 look amazing deep blue. Light backings will highlight any uneven spots in your painting. Also the underside of your parts will look terrible. Especially the Dyna Storm's wing which is mostly exposed underside.

I just needed to share this with all of you! My patience has been rewarded i'm exstatic! :D :D :D

Wondering why? Here is why:

IMG_0955.jpeg

All on its way to me! So i will now have an original body and decals for the shelf and a ***** body for running. Excellent!

• Like 4

Killer find my good man, glad you found one, you'll love doing the box art on this!

lee

My stuff came in today! :) As already mentioned in another thread, the body is not in very good shape but the decals are excellent and the motor also. This has made me think, should i keep the Dynatech 02H in or go for the Acto pink rere? My mind says spare the 02H and put the pink in but what about performance. Will i notice the difference?

Going to pick up the retoration of the DS again today and have decided on the motor. I will put the rere acto pink in (until i find an affordable original acto pink) and i will most likely install the Dyntech 02H in the Astute. This way, all the vintage have a vintage motor :)

A quick update. I did the black painting today on the body. Need to prep it now for the PS-16 and here the question: i know i need the fron and side windows. Do you also need to mask the small side window in the back?

Oh and on the side, i installed the rere Pink Acto in it instead of the Dyntech 02H but i have an original Acto Power pink on its way to me.

I just done the ones you get the decals for ie front and sides.

I didn't do it on my red one never noticed until it was dry :( :(

What i am after as i can't see it on the decal sheet, is if the 2 decals of the small side windows in the rear are also transparent. IF not, no need to bother with masking these small areas.

No they are just solid black. Nothing to mask.

For the big windows, you definitely want to install the outer stickers BEFORE masking them on the inside. The lines on the body do not perfectly match the sticker, and you will have a better opportunity to keep your tape edges inside the black window boarder with the decals already in place. This is what I did and it worked great. No light bleeding around the edges of the window decals.

• Like 1

Muchos Gracias 94eg! Exactly what i wanted to know. I am just a little weary about removing the overspray foil from the body to put on the window decals. Maybe i will make a copy of the decals, cut them out in paper and stick them on the foil with tape. I guess that will work too, not?

i use a black marker on the outside, draw round the windows until it can be seen on the inside then mask it off.

but your way would work just as well

• Like 1