IBIFTKH

Rob's projects (latest - Willy's Brat, Hazard Willy, WW2 cutaway)

Lol!

Must admit I'm not keen on the 'crush all those pesky Hondas' idea!

Maybe it would be better if Wild Wendy didn't drive the Jugg, just in case...!

• Like 1

Thinking about the driver, Perhaps turn Wild Willy in something like Big Bill.
photo1_zps187a3c29.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Erich :)

10 hours ago, Cesco said:

Thinking about the driver, Perhaps turn Wild Willy in something like Big Bill.

Frank, Bill looks pretty cool. Any idea where I could get one of those?

• Like 1

I have no idea, was it not the same guy that made the Wendys? toymkr73? If so they are not available anymore.

But there are a lot of handy guys here with 3D printing, so I think someone should be able to make something similar. Someone like Magic or King Customs?
Or craft one yourself from a Wild Willy.

We all know Wild Willy loves his M38 Jeep. Rumour has it that Willy petitioned Mr Tamiya, in person, for 15 years to get his Jeep back. Eventually, impressed by Willy's dedication and Samurai-esque refusal to accept defeat, Tamiya-San granted Willy's plea and the Wild Willy 2 was born. Basically, if Willy had a backside, he'd have 'M38' tattooed upon it.

But Willy's not getting any younger, and driving around in an open Jeep in all weathers doesn't always appeal as much as when Willy was in his youth. Sometimes Willy wishes for something with a few more modern conveniences like, say, a roof. And although Tamiya-San has recognised Willy's contribution and has given him several new rides as rewards, Willy is at heart a Jeep guy.

So when Willy decided to build a new ride he had a few basic criteria to meet. It had to be a Jeep, with a roof, and it had to be a Tamiya body. Oh, and preferably it would fit on the trusty WR-02 chassis.

Ah...... um, Willy, you know that won't work, right?

Wrong...

DSCF7825b

Hope you like it!

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 16

Thanks guys, glad you like it. And yeah, a daft back story adds a little bit of fun, or at least that's my excuse!

A couple of bits I didn't mention earlier. The chassis has the usual minor hop-ups - fully ball-raced, steel pinion, oil shocks, alloy wheelie wheel and gearbox brace. The body is attached with home-made 'stealth' mounts, basically shortened body posts, plastic sheet and magnets. The lights can be switched on and off via the third channel on the radio (I found a couple of Turnigy remote switches in my spares box and put them to good use!). Willy's helmet colour scheme is meant to be similar to the M38 box art and there's a mini-servo embedded in his shoulders so his head turns with the steering :D

• Like 1

Very cool idea amd great execution as always, loving the attention to detail.

• Like 1

Rob, you did it again! That body looks like it was always meant tot be for the WR-02. Another great idea Rob.

Thanks guys. Frank, I had to stretch the WR-02 chassis a little to make the body fit.

DSCF7865

And cos I can't resist, a pic with the old original :)

DSCF7856

and a more recent cousin

DSCF7849

cheers,

Rob

• Like 6

The back story and the build are both great!  You're a genius Rob! :)

• Like 1

Oh my - when I saw the Jeep shell and the WR-02 wheels, my first reaction was: "He did it! He did it!" Amazing work, per usual ;)

I had to smile at the Ken Block-style City Turbo, too!

• Like 1

This is my WBO2016 build, it has its own build thread but as everything I've built over the last couple of years is in this thread, I wanted to add a couple of pics here too.

DSCF8059DSCF8055

DSCF8062DSCF8052

If you're interested the build thread is here

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 4

It looks great Rob!

Funny, I just bought a beaten up Bullhead. Gonna take a while before I begin on that one, have first 4-5 other projects to finish.

Bye the way. Looks like you need to build something so Willy can get in that huge monster. I mean that thing is huge, 2 1/2 Willys high...!

• Like 1

Very nice Rob, I like what you've done with the axle guards, and the body looks great on it as well.

• Like 1

Thanks gents. I think you're right, Willy's going to need a step-ladder!

The axle guards were partly your fault! After your suggestion I bought some beefier 6mm tubing for the links, so the original 5mm was spare. I'm not a big fan of the stock plastic axle guards (and it would have been more money to spend!). I drilled out the holes so I could use M4 bar and sleeved it with the 5mm tube. That still looked a bit puny but I had some 8mm tube lying around. It's a slightly loose fit over the 5mm but it gives a nice chunky look.

Just a small update on a couple of old favourites. 

Thanks to Nobbi1977 I now have a 'proper' 1/32 Wild Saurus. Now those of you who weren't familiar with the original can see what my project was based on - and where I went wrong!! (Box art on the 1/32 is a sort of sand colour but this one had to be matt black like big brother.)

2s60swp.jpg

2q2et8m.jpg

24v4lua.jpg

In other news, Willy's Scorcher tribute finally has some sand paddle tyres (and alloy wheels) ;) 

Although they look nice the tyres don't seem great quality, the rubber seems much thinner than you'd expect in an off-road tyre. I've fitted some Schumacher 2.2 truck/truggy foam inserts so they support the weight of the truck better, but I wouldn't expect them to last long in regular use.

wb8bye.jpg

2ibyc12.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 3

Hi Rob. Was this the set of alu wheels with paddle tyres that was offered on Ebay a couple of weeks ago?

Because then I know who beat me in the last minute or so of the auction :P

• Like 1

:lol: 

Well they got a good home. I know I was thinking when I lost the auction I hoped someone else from Tamiyaclub got them like someone like yourself. They look great under the Willy Scorcer. 

Just came across this recently. Your wild willy action figures look amazing! Do you use Tamiya paints or just any paint? Any tips for painting willy?

• Like 1

Thank you. I use Halfords primer and Games Workshop acrylic paint, but that's more because it's easily available locally. As part of the paint range they sell some nice washes (basically thinned paint) which are great for shading.

For tips about painting Willy it's hard to beat Fabrizio's guide here - https://www.tamiyaclub.com/willy.asp

I'll just add the obvious bits - good quality paint and brushes, good light. Take your time and enjoy it. If there's anything I can help with, PM me any time.

cheers,

Rob

• Like 2