Sign in to follow this  
GTodd

Toyota Hilux / Monster Racer (King Cab) re-fresh - July 2018 Update!!!

the king cab is my all time favourite. I have owned one for nearly 25 years.
two years ago I restored the chassis all I need now is a body for it.

Schumacher has some nice tires, but no measurements.

Found a set of original Tamiya Front Tires for sale!!! Now if only I could get find a set of rears!!!!! These will be for the shelf and the prolines for bashing.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

The front end is together. Sorry its taking a while. I try to clean each screw and nut too. trying to make it look as close to new as possible.

Skipped ahead and refreshed the original shocks too. The Hicaps are going on my childhood Top Force.

PS
Props to Vintage-Tamiya parts. They have the uber rare Monster Racer only front tires. I ordered them on Monday, got them today. That's impressive as I live In the great old USA!!!!!!

zkj2.jpg

0ill.jpg

just been on vintage Tamiya they don't have the front ribbed tyres. ******.

your hilux is looking good.

here is a pic of mines

010_zps3ad9ca35.jpg

it has taken ages to get it this far, since this picture it has been fitted with hicaps and a pink motor from a dyna storm.

I hate to think how much I have spent getting it this far.

• Like 3

Whats the story of the M1 Garand rifle diagram? The Hilux is looking H.O.T.

I also collect military fire arms. I have a couple M1s dating from WWII and Korea. The table is also used for my weapon maintenance, the other rc table is currently being occupied by a Tamiya 1/12 Martini 935 model.

Nice productive weekend, waiting for the Giants game to come on.

Attached the rear suspension arms to the chassis plate, assembled the gear box, and mounted the gear box to the chassis. I hope you all enjoy my new back ground idea enjoy.

7jz2.jpg

dy0w.jpg

Guts ready to go back in the gear box

x3xv.jpg

Ready to go!!

8l12.jpg

6v3p.jpg

• Like 2

Done!!!!!!!!!!!! Updated pictures tomorrow. Next will be my Top Force.

Im sorry for the delay, i have a bad habit of not updating these threads I start:

Calling this done, ordered some all terain tires to use as a runner, and NOS front ribs for the front.

hwkp.jpg

vddx.jpg

e8ux.jpg

w3ka.jpg

igk1.jpg

vc8o.jpg

• Like 3

People like to say these diffs are week. Please show me. Ive had this hilux and my Astute since new. Never once did i have one melt or slip. If built as perscribed you will have zero issues. Maybe someone back in the day installed a modifled 4 turn triple. I couldnt see any diff lasting with those old beasts.

Ive been running this 10.5 brushless for a year with no issues. Currently running three shims on each side. I like this method of adjustment because once it is set some screw or nut wont come loose causing slip.

Plus i have spare trans just incase the Astute or Hilux experience a failure.

Sorry to bring up an older thread (very nice HMR BTW :)) but what tyres are you guys now running on the rear?

I would like to find something with a mini pin but looking like PL Gladiators might be my only option (that's if they will fit)?

Hello AGAIN. I figured Id do a little update seeing how imageshack wiped out al of my old pics.

I just added the stealth transmision(!) and pieced together some Hicaps from spares I had in the toolbox.  I still stand behind the standard trans and diff. I Didnt have a problem for 25 years. I recently went to rebuild the differential again and I was out of parts and couldnt find spares. Enter the stealth!  I purchased the stealth off a certian auction site and the stealth kit for the chassis from Radio Controlled Customs.  Its like a brand new truck again with the added ease of tuning and a slipper clutch.  Id rather have used a DS trans but they are imposible to find now too. Im having tons of fun blasting around the back yard with my son and I taking turns. Its being powered by a 13.5 Novak Brushless (man I miss novak) powered by a old fashion 5000 mah 7.2v pack as I havent found a lipo to fit.  Future plans: Tires for the local indoor clay track, proline Trencher T 2.2" All Terrain Truck Tires for bashing, TBG Body and new decals, and all the new parts from Ampro.  None is needed right now. Haing way too much fun!!! Next project, getting my childhood Top Force going, im just waiting for the shocks to arrive.

2ip5ie.jpg

2nn9ty.jpg

• Like 4

My son and I have been having a blast with this!!! Too much fun. I think I'm going to put the big bores shocks on it. Maybe a little Overkill but the current setup is too bouncy, needs more cushion. The stealth trans, man it is good. Reminds me of the DS trans.

• Like 1

Wow I havent updated this since July 18, going to start a new thread.