TWINSET

58588 1/10 RC Toyota FJ Cruiser (CC-01 chassis)

Sounds interesting;

From TamiyaBlog

58588 1/10 RC Toyota FJ Cruiser (CC-01 chassis)
Popular in an individual style reflecting the image of a great car Land Cruiser FJ40 Toyota FJ Cruiser appeared in the CC-01 chassis!
Launched as a private vehicle in North America in 2006 , to hold the deep-rooted fan is released in Japan in 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser. It has the image of a great car Land Cruiser FJ40 that has been loved all over the world, front down cormorant oval grille and round headlights, fender it leaves paste has been reproduced the very best in polycarbonate design etc.

Is that one of these?

2008_.jpg

Or a rerelease of this

Seen loads of FJ's on the roads in Florida when I've been over there - strange looking vehicle but supposedly quite luxurious.

Don't know why but it reminds me a little bit of the Renault Avantime !

Jeez thats one ugly mother - looks like something scraphead challenge put together :(

• Like 1

The 1:1 is going out of production soon per the automotive press. The chassis/drivetrain is the best feature of this vehicle as most of the bits are recycled from the Tacoma/Hilux.

The body is a real problem. It has four doors, but the rear doors won't open unless the front doors are opened first. Also, none of the second row side windows or the rear window open; only the first row side windows open.

I think the early launch price on this car was around $26k is the USA. For that price it was equipped with a V6 and 4WD, which was a relative bargain.

When I first read about it I liked the chassis and drive train, but the halfway body styling and real world usability made it a no-go for me. Personally I think this vehicle is quite ugly and fell short of its potential. If it had more Jeep styling like the original FJ40 and more utility, I might have bought at the early price. This was a weak attempt by Toyota to cash in on some of the retro styling craze seen in other vehicles like the PT Cruiser, Chevy SSR, and Mustang/Camaro/Charger/Challenger.

As you might guess, with no love for the 1:1 I won't be getting one of these...

• Like 1

Strange mix of curves and angles - the bulge over the rear wheelarch looks like a slip of the mouse on the CAD design

Wow this is awesome news! I've wanted an FJ body for my CC-01 since I first got it. But all of the toy-grade options are out of production and the ones still available are way overpriced.

I hope it's a hard body, but I'm guessing it will be Lexan. Either way, it's awesome news.

yup the retro new 2010 one :)

Welcome back Wills !

Where I come from, every man and his dog has a 4WD and so does his little sister. The FJ is pretty popular here becuase it really performs, it's not over priced and it is really practical for fishing, camping, surfing etc. I don't mind the Plastic Prado but I heard the styling was based on the head shape of a Staffie / Pit Bull. :huh:

Is it just me...the 1/10 version looks much better than the 1/1...maybe is those big chunky tires. For looks, the jeep wins handsdown, but for reliabilty...you know the answer.

Quite a few 1:1 FJ Cruisers here on the roads in Australia too. I must admit, when i first layed eyes on the orange one it almost caused me to crash, hideous. I don't mind them now I gotten used to them.

I've seen a blue one in the UK, assume it must have been an import. I pointed it out to the Mrs but she wasn't particularly interested!

I like them; they're kinda funky.

What we (or I, but I'm assuming the feeling is pretty mutual) really want is a decent hardbody alternative to the Pajero which is so old now. They still look good and they keep re-releasing them, so they (Tamiya) must realise what their customers are wanting? Instead we get another Lexan bubble with Toyota badges, not exactly exciting is it?!

I can't say I like the looks of it, and I won't be adding one to my collection, but I am very pleased to see Tamiya bringing out more shells for the CC01 chassis. Perhaps they will bring out something more desirable next time?

They're all over the place in my neck of the woods. My neighbor has a blue one. Myself, I'm biased against them, because a rather nasty middle-aged woman backed into my Miata while driving one a couple years back. Made a nice gouge in my bumper. Good thing she had decent insurance...

i like them in real life , i wonder if its a hard body or lexan. if its ABS lots of rccrawler guys will be on it just for the body

Welcome back Wills !

hullo gents! Haha yay finally able o get back online :)

i like them in real life , i wonder if its a hard body or lexan. if its ABS lots of rccrawler guys will be on it just for the body

Lexan.

& others have already made hard bodies of suitable size.

The body is a real problem. It has four doors, but the rear doors won't open unless the front doors are opened first. Also, none of the second row side windows or the rear window open; only the first row side windows open.

meh, nobody complains same about the RX8... ;)

On this big island the FJcruiser seems to be outselling the Prado IMHO

(been looking & can't find as many used Prado of 2-3yrs age)

Stock it looks undertyred but with a decent lift & some larger 3X" rubber it's menacingly imposing in traffic.

Looks good being so chunky big in real life, not sure about RC size

being small & low down, looking down at it. Hopefully the sculptors

have made suitable unscale adjustments to look better small.

unfortunately my bet is that this will be in Lexan :(

I actually do prefer this version to the original FJ (sorry), on a positive note it is great to see Tamiya bring out new vehicles that fans have been looking for. Even in Lexan it will still have some great details I am sure.

James.

I really liked the 1:1 when it came out because it sold me on the premise of an inexpensive, no nonsense off-roader. You could actually get it with steel wheels and a manual! (I guess you still can). Best of all they're based on the SWB LC120 platform. Only problem is now they've become really expensive and, at least around here, so many are not fulling the measure of they're creation. They've been turned into commuter glam-mobiles owned by folks who treat them as fashion accessories....sorry for the rant :D

Still though,i'm glad to see a modern bodied CC01 with accurate suspension. i.e. IFS on the FJ40, Bronco, etc.

@Reilluor, lol, I never was big on reading all the fine print :)

These are huge in the Middle East, there are a lot of people driving them here because they are fairly well priced, the service and spares network is big and also because the Toy-mota reliability is prevalent.

I personally am not to fond of them because of the door setup, the first versions had this really corny, false, plastic checker-plate surfaces on the interior and also because they have a really bad, large blindspot on on them. This was cured somewhat in the new, upper-spec versions that came with a reverse camera.

The upper-spec also comes with a rear diff-locker which makes them very capable in the sand. This in itself is a drawcard especially in a manual version. They will go where you want them to in a soft sand environment, particularly if you have the right tyre combo.

I wont be getting one myself, I have recently acquired an Axial Honcho SCX10, first Axial product I have owned, and from a crawling and trail perspective, this thing is leaps and bounds ahead of any Tamiya product (out the box). But it does lack the scale appearance and build attraction of Tamiyas

Strange mix of curves and angles - the bulge over the rear wheelarch looks like a slip of the mouse on the CAD design

Look get to the point David - its just UGLY

• Like 1

Tamiyablog has pictures from the fair showing the FJ Cruiser. Is it lexan or hardbody, anyone?

I think the Cruiser looks great :-)