Sign in to follow this  
Grubby

vinyl cut plotters

Hi does anyone use plotters for making vinyl decals or for paint masking as i am thinking of buying one for paint masking only really looking for a hobby one & just really want to know if they are worth the money.

Thanks Rich

Vinyl plotters are great stuff. As long as you realise that before you can actually plot something, alot of work to generate a plotter-worthy drawing. Plotters are all about vector-based drawings and any bitmap needs to be converted beforehand which is in many cases a labour-intensive process.

Just for the record, i do not own one but my brother has a signing-business and he has several vinyl printers and plotters.

you'll need to buy Adobe Illustrator (or another similar vector program) and learn the pen tool!!

while you can 'trace' and image, it won't be suitable for the plotter unless it's clean, and the traces are no where close to clean.

Ordered a KNK Zing for the wife for christmas.as she makes cards etc.

Kind of hope i could use it for making my own decals!

Not sounding as easy as i first thought.

I had a Stika cutter a few years back and it was dead handy for cutting masks, but it only cut, no printing http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=15165&id=169

It came with some pretty good software, and I could convert most clipart or online graphics into black/white images and import them

These were all done with basic software;

Image and text copied from www.headblade.com
img169_28022004165949_3.jpg

True-Type fonts and clipart bonnet masks
img169_15052004193931_3.jpg

Stickers this time, fonts and clipart
img169_31102004001504_1.jpg

Freehand doodling
img169_30082004174211_2.jpg

Cut squares for mask and yellow vinyl for wing sticker
img169_23042006140941_2.jpg

More Squares

squaresII.jpg

Jeep logo on door copied from RCCrawler
img169_21012006181204_1.jpg

External sticker
img169_23042006170714_1.jpg

True Type Fonts again, even the skull - came from a 'wingdings' type set

ddigg1.jpg

ddigg2.jpg

Hi Grubby,

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and how often you will use it. I use one for work and spent $6000 AUD over 12yrs ago and am still using it (daily usage too), so a good one will last a long time. Which also means don't shy away from buying a second Roland or Mamaki as these are well build. I buy consumables cheap from ebay too, with out any issue and much cheaper than what a sign supply shop. On that, there are only 3 main consumables you need to worry about, the knife, the knife holder (it has bearings in it, and they can wear, reducing accuracy), and the cutting strip.

Cutters are much cheaper now too, and there are cheaper versions on ebay and the like now. There are also hobby cutters (I think they are aimed at the scrap booking market), that are reasonably priced as well and usually come with some sort of software, but don't quote me on that. Make sure you get different angled cutting blades, as they make a big difference if you are cutting small stuff, reflective etc. Setup properly you can cut fairly small text, around 3 to 4 mm high, but it can be tedious. If you buy second hand, test that it can cuts nice and straight when cutting squares etc.

Vinyl cut lettering is what I prefer on my restores, as you can get bright and durable colours, see pic below. You also don't need illustrator, there is dedicated vinyl cutting software like Signblazer and Artcut (I think many of the cheap ones on ebay come with art cut, its not great, but does the job). They are not really as powerful as illustrator overall, but many have advantages for sign making such as good converters when dealing with bitmaps and the ability to separate colours as well. Also check out coreldraw (thats what I use), its not cheap, but even an older copy would do.

regards

Johann

Renault-Mk-226.jpg

What do vinyl printers cost, especially ones that can print white on clear sheets?

I'm more interested in making decal sheets like Parma and XXXMain do; cutting is not that important to me...

What do vinyl printers cost, especially ones that can print white on clear sheets?

I'm more interested in making decal sheets like Parma and XXXMain do; cutting is not that important to me...

Professional quality printers start at about the price of a nice new car and go up from there. Ability to print white is very rare; most inkjet printers are CMYK or CMYK plus a couple other colors to increase the gamut.

For printing white on clear vinyl, it's still much more cost-effective to screen print, especially for lower volumes. Of course, you can always cut white vinyl and apply it without any clear backing, as well.