StuartUK

Recommend a toolkit please ?

Hey all,

I'll need to buy a tool kit, so recommendations most grateful please....
Don't want to spend loads of money, but as a guess, I need:

Shell cutter

Pliers

screwdrivers

don't think I would need anything else ? Have seen the Tamiya Basic tool set and the screwdriver set, but were talking nearly £40 for the 2 :(

Any ebay specials for £10-£15 that peeps know of ?

cheers

Stu

**Update**
Just reading a post on RC-Racer, would appear I only need to buy a Cutter ?
As I have normal screw drivers, and the wrench and hex head come with the TT02 as I just read.... Got a sharp knife already :)
Anyone got a shell cutter they want to sell ?! :D

• Like 1

This is the best screwdriver I've ever owned - it's done all my RC for years and I use it as my primary DIY too, I even use it in a drill as an electric screwdriver

screws2.jpg

For 'shell cutter's I use curved scissors for lexan and Swann Morton scalpels
Scissors; http://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-curved-models-body-scissors/rc-car-products/11640

Scalpels; http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.Xswann+morton&_nkw=swann+morton&_sacat=0&_from=R40

For small pliers, something like http://www.maplin.co.uk/rolson-5-part-miniature-plier-set-105mm-31557 - they're £5 upwards on eBay, Maplin also sell them individually, but the 5 pack usually comes in a zip-up case

If you want cheap, try Aldi too, although their screwdriver bits aren't up to much.

If I had to reserve money for good quality tools, it'd be for screwdrivers - a duff screwdriver bit knackers screw heads so it's worth investing in a half decent one

• Like 1

I have to use a combo of Lexan scissors and a very sharp blade for the really tight spots when cutting shells. I have found the "rounded end" lexan scissors work quite well at cutting straight lines so there isn't much of a need for 2 pairs of lexan scissors. The scissors are about $15 USD so not expensive.

Whatever hand tools you get, just make sure the tips are really strong. A lot of the RC screws are hard enough to rough up your bits. I honestly VERY rarely use hand tools anymore. I use a hand electric screwdriver for pretty much everything. My local hardware store has a wall of chucks for that fit right in the hand screwdriver with hex all the way down to .50 with tips that stronger than anything I have seen at the hobby store, they are sturdy and that way you can buy just the tips you need. I realize that doesn't totally help you, I am just offering how I work on my cars. I would rather invest in an electric screwdriver with some good bits / inserts, and then buy a budget screw and hex driver bag for hand tools.

TWINSET brought up some important ones I didn't think of.. I use my mini-needle nose pliers a lot. I also use flush cutters quite a bit too. Flush cutters also help when you are trying to thread a ball connector on the end of a damper rod without marring up the damper rod, just lots of uses!

cheers guys :)

My screwdriver sets are the ones I use in IT (many different heads, long, etc etc)

cheers for the advice again ! :)

If you are looking for hex tip drivers then the turnigy items from hobby king are pretty good, but really only of use if you replace a lot tamiya screws for stainless hex hardware.

Curved toe nail scissors cut lexan absolutely fine and are a very good curve for wheel arches of tourer/rally shells.

Swan and Morton no3 scalpel handle with no 11 / 15 blades work well on lexan too -score then snap method.

Tamiya's little kit spanner is good for 95% of the nuts, some cars need a flat spanner in tight spaces.

Needle nose pliers for e clips - pound shop /cheap hardware store are sufficient.

I'm using the Tamiya RC Tool Set - 8pcs #74085 and Tamiya Non-Scratch Long Nose Pliers" #74065.

The cross-head drivers in the tool sets are JIS (Japanese) heads and will fit much better into the typical Tamiya screws than western Philips drivers. I've never stripped a screw with them, and they provide an excellent feel for torque - especially when driving screws into plastic. Use the thicker extra handle only for situations where more torque is necessary.

The non-scratch pliers are essential when assembling oil dampers. Don't you just hate it if you accidentally scratch the piston shafts with your regular pliers and a towel? Not the case with the Tamiya pliers.

Tamiya tools may not be the cheapest. But they're totally worth their reasonable price, without going insanely expensive.

• Like 2

not sure mentioned already...a good soldering iron and a rimmer. you may get by with a small pair of siccors [spel] instead of a rimmer. And some small 1 inch or 25mm brush to clean your rc . a dirty rc does not mean you run them hard but just shows lack of care....in my book. a bunch of small zip ties and good double sided taps are always handy in your war chest.

• Like 1

I ordered a pair of lexan scisscors (curved).... will use my screwdriver and plier set I got already (for computers), guy in the office has got a soldering kit :)

Got a reamer coming too......

and if I correct, the Tamiya SuperStock RZ comes with a cleaning brush thing.....
got zip ties already too (small) :) :)

double sided tape, now I need that!

I ordered a pair of lexan scisscors (curved).... will use my screwdriver and plier set I got already (for computers), guy in the office has got a soldering kit :)

Got a reamer coming too......

and if I correct, the Tamiya SuperStock RZ comes with a cleaning brush thing.....

got zip ties already too (small) :) :)

double sided tape, now I need that!

Go for a rubberized rather than foam tape if you can find it, we have a 3M brand here is Australia that is brilliant, holds very well, but is removable without falling apart like the foam stuff does

Go for a rubberized rather than foam tape if you can find it, we have a 3M brand here is Australia that is brilliant, holds very well, but is removable without falling apart like the foam stuff does

Do you have a link or picture to this tape? I have been using the black foam stuff that is used for applying car trims and badges so far. Cheers

Hey all,

I'll need to buy a tool kit, so recommendations most grateful please....

Don't want to spend loads of money, but as a guess, I need:

Shell cutter

Pliers

screwdrivers

don't think I would need anything else ? Have seen the Tamiya Basic tool set and the screwdriver set, but were talking nearly £40 for the 2 :(

Any ebay specials for £10-£15 that peeps know of ?

cheers

Stu

**Update**

Just reading a post on RC-Racer, would appear I only need to buy a Cutter ?

As I have normal screw drivers, and the wrench and hex head come with the TT02 as I just read.... Got a sharp knife already :)

Anyone got a shell cutter they want to sell ?! :D

Seems like your mostly sorted Stu but on a general note keep your eyes peeled in Aldi . Every now and again they do some excellent tools at great prices .

• Like 1

I realise the OP was looking for simple and cheap but I thought this might be useful to someone. Here is a pair of cutter pliers I find really useful when the kits are mostly plastic.

20131125_214031.jpg

I use these to snip off the flashings before trimming with a knife. I find, particularly with the thicker flashings, you can easily slip when trimming through a large chunk of flashing. With this, most of the flashing is snipped off leaving very little to trim. Since there is very little to trim, it is easy to trim it off cleanly.

20131125_214129.jpg

Another thing that is very useful, if you use Deans connectors, is a set of round nose pliers. You drill a shallow hole on the side, in-between the metal connectors (being careful not to hit the metal) on each half of the connectors. The hole diameter should be the same the ends of your pliers. Since Deans connectors are really difficult to separate, you use the round nose pliers to separate the connectors.

post-33401-0-90798300-1385381169_thumb.j

post-33401-0-67504000-1385381188_thumb.j

• Like 1

you thought a pair of prier and a screw driver, and you will be all set.:-D

Now you know what tools and bits you need...what about the tool box that you will need to properly house, store, protect, transport and easy to access. This could be a spin off hobby by it self.;-)

Thanks for that but it seems not available in the UK :( unless someone can tell me other wise :)

I realise the OP was looking for simple and cheap but I thought this might be useful to someone. Here is a pair of cutter pliers I find really useful when the kits are mostly plastic.

attachicon.gif20131125_214031.jpg

I use these to snip off the flashings before trimming with a knife. I find, particularly with the thicker flashings, you can easily slip when trimming through a large chunk of flashing. With this, most of the flashing is snipped off leaving very little to trim. Since there is very little to trim, it is easy to trim it off cleanly.

attachicon.gif20131125_214129.jpg

Another thing that is very useful, if you use Deans connectors, is a set of round nose pliers. You drill a shallow hole on the side, in-between the metal connectors (being careful not to hit the metal) on each half of the connectors. The hole diameter should be the same the ends of your pliers. Since Deans connectors are really difficult to separate, you use the round nose pliers to separate the connectors.

Agree with this, when I was last into RC I bought myself this set, which have been fantastic

tool01.jpg

You can get the same set under different name here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Small-Pliers-Precision-Jewelry-Craft-Long-Combination-Side-Top-Cutting-Bent-/400523848651?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&var=&hash=item5d4114ebcb whats more you can get them for £1.99 each ;)

I've been using Integy hex drivers, body scissors, and reamers.

When it comes to lexan bodies, IMHO, the most useful tool that exists is a Dremel and an assortment of sanding drums. Make the rough cuts with the scissors and then sand off the rest. Learned this from one of the old timers at the track who pointed out there are small enough drums so you will never create a sharp cut which will concentrate stress and create a point where the shell will start ripping.

Aldi still have some sets of exacto knife copys Stu . Brand is workzone . Decent quality tools going by the ones I've bought in the past