Sign in to follow this  
StuartUK

Noob question (plugs on the ESC/Battery)

Hi all,

Looking to buy the Lipo & Lifepo4 batteries...
They have 5.5mm bullet connectors on the end. I read this is a good thing...

I'll be using the Tamiya TEU-105BK ESC, which has a Tamiya style plug. Also read that the Tamiya plug aint very good!

Soooooooooo, am guessing I cant buy a converter cable, and if I could, it probably wouldn't work too well or melt ?

Soooooooooo, in terms of swapping connectors on the ESC, is it a case of asking someone who is good with soldering to fit some 5.5mm plugs onto the ESC ?
Simple as that, and then i'm good to run & charge ok, need nothing more, etc ????

I use deans plugs, they are easy to solder and take high current, you are correct when you say the tamiya plug or an adapter would melt.

Just take your time and do one wire at a time, keeping the other covered with insulation to prevent shorting the circuit.

cheers for the reply... I only mention the 5.5mm bullet connectors as I cant see batteries with deans style connectors for sale!! (buying Turnigy batteries from HobbyKing)

I was hoping that before the ESC is fitted, I could get the Tamiya end off, and then fit the pieces onto the red/black cable....
If a battery comes with a 5.5mm bullet connector, is it worth me getting 5.5mm to Deans converters ? (if the exist)

I also use Deans plugs and have all my ESC's / Lipos converted to that standard but i am unsure i would go to Deans again. They are indeed easy to solder and imho better than separate 5.5mm bullet connectors as they keep the wires together and the 2 terminals cannot touch in any case but the disavantage is that they are difficult to plug in and pull out. There are other plugs that have the same advantages but are easier in connecting/disconnecting such as EC3 or 6.5mm castle connectors.

if the 5.5mm bullet connectors have the outer shielding, would that help ?

Doh, got it wrong....

These Turnigy Lipo Batteries I am looking at come with 4mm bullet connectors! (and another cable, no idea what that is ?)

Sooooooooooooo...

If my ESC has the standard Tamiya plug on it, what bits or converters do I need to buy to make this battery fit/connect

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9505__Turnigy_3600mAh_3S_30C_Lipo_Pack.html

Battery size is: 137 x 43 x 24mm , so I assume that will fit into the battery slot of a TT-02/TT-01 ? (I do note that the Tamiya style nimh batteries seem to be 130x45x22mm) hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !

A couple things about the TEU-105BK:

- The input voltage is listed as 6.6V to 7.2V in the instruction manual, so using a 3S (11.1V) LiPo with it might damage it because the voltage is too high. Also, that voltage is a bit high for brushed Tamiya motors.

- The low voltage cutoff feature of the ESC is meant for LiFe batteries, not LiPo. The Tamiya USA description on their web page indicates suitable for lithium ion technologies, and technically both LiFe and LiPo are categorized as lithium ion technology, but the cutoff voltages are not the same between the two types. You'll need an external alarm or cutoff to use a LiPo with this ESC.

The best thing you can do with the Tamiya ESC is chop the Molex/Tamiya white connector off it and replace it with either a Dean's connector or 4mm bullets like what is shown on the battery pack you linked. Over time you're likely going to accumulate several cars and several batteries; you may as well standardize on a connector that allows you to swap batteries between cars easily, and the car that draws the highest current will dictate the connector choice. Either buy a bag of HXT 4.0mm bullet connectors to terminate all your ESCs and batteries, or buy a bag of Dean's connectors. Either approach works.

The pack you link to is a "soft" pack and is generally not recommended for surface vehicles just because it is more susceptible to puncturing than a hard case. I have to admit that I'm experimenting with running soft packs to reduce weight in some of my cars, but I'm accepting that risk and taking a few extra precautions to do it. There are hard case LiPos available from the same vendor (search "hardcase"), so take a look at 2S models. Also, I'd suggest going for at least 4000mAh and 40C continuous discharge anticipating future cars and more powerful motor systems -- having a battery you can move from car to car makes good economic sense, so invest a little extra initially.

• Like 1

your a great help beans, thank you! :) :)

I got my head around NimH, as ESC's and batt's can come with standard Tamiya connectors... So trying to understand the Lipo/Lifepo4 is taking its toll on me!
My problem is I cant get my head around all the different connector types (deans, 3/4/5mm style, ec5, transxas, etc)....

I guess i'm trying to keep it simple by utilising the ESC that came with the car (TEU-105BK), and instead of using NimH, I would like to go down the road of Lipo.

Understood about the hardcase, and now the 2S (if I understand correctly, 30C is normal power and 40C is the full on throttle kind of power output to the motor ?)

To hopefully finalise my battery setup, would be most grateful for your input on these 3 batteries (2 lipo, 1 is Lifepo4). I'll be buying 2 batteries... All "Turnigy" brand.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21004__Turnigy_4000mAh_2S_30C_hardcase_pack_ROAR_APPROVED_.html

4000mah - 30C to 40C, ROAR approved, hardcase and has HXT4mm connector.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21002__Turnigy_5200mAh_2S_30C_Hard_Case_Car_Lipo_Pack_ROAR_APPROVED_.html

5200mah - 30C to 40C, ROAR approved, hardcase and has 5.5mm bullet connector..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10309__Turnigy_4500mAh_2S2P_30C_LiFePo4_Pack.html

LIFEpo4 - 4500mah - 30C to 40C, 4mm bullet connector

I would be happy to buy another ESC now for around £23 if poss (selling the 105BK to claw back some cash) if it makes it easier to connect one of the above batteries, and having the cut-off thingy working.......

The charger I have already bought is the IMAX B6 (ironically, doesn't have Tamiya style charging plugs!)

An electrician guy in work is handy with the solder, so I got help on that front...
As I've said, I am noob to this, so even building the car will be a learning curve, as with anything, the more I get into it, the more I learn (and replace cars/batteries as you say!)
I will be using the Tamiya SuperStock RZ motor too (despite the ESC saying it handles upto 25T, and not 23T as in the RZ motor!)
Will also be using a BlueBird high speed servo which has futaba style plug (whatever that is! :D :D )

In my opinion making a simple adapter won't make any significant difference to the way that the system works. I have done this afew times and I notice no significant detriment with silver cans etc. Only added bonus is if you decided to sell the esc and upgrade at a later date an unmolested one will sell easier.

I can sell the ESC now (as the TT02 kit arrived 2 days ago, but its a Xmas present for me from the wife)...
Just a shame I cant buy a ESC which comes with HXT4mm battery plugs on it already!!! (or if its really that easy to solder on some plugs straight onto the ESC, I could get my boss to do it...

???????

I'm looking at this, as I believe it has the cut off for lipo...... guess just need to buy the connectors and cut off the Tamiya plug, and hopefully I will be on my way....
sell the Tamiya plug, happy days :)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__32025__HobbyKing_X_Car_45A_Brushed_Car_ESC.html

Or I keep the Tamiya TEU-105BK, and buy this lipo alarm thing for the cut off ?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=29652