NWarty

Sometimes it's just dumb luck. Martini Porsche 935 content inside

I used to have the original toy of Jazz back in the 80s, ahh the memories!

Just for you Steve ;)

misc_07.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not too worried about purity. Anyone who has seen my collection knows that I'm not a stickler for box art. I have two vintage static model kits to scab the bodies for two 935 builds.

• Like 2

After spending a bit of time on the phone with my Dad last night regarding the integrity of the 540 endurance motor, I'm having to rethink a lot of things with this re-build.

The 540 blue bell motor has to go. After this many years, the commutator, armature and brushes are tired. It sounds tired, it runs tired. Given the limitations of the aluminum housing and its dimensions and retrofit by the previous owner, I'm looking at replacing the motor with a brand new 540 Sport Tuned since it will fit and give a little bit more in performance.

think you might be overexpecting... Unless the bushes are so worn the shaft is flopping around, they're still as good "as new" :)

540SD Black Endurance is a gutless PoC that was barely more powerful than a silvercan Mabuchi,

definitely weaker than its red endbell Blackie brother.

Bluebell was only ever useful for sticking in your Racing Master for driving on ice,

where its lesser torque could be useful. Or just shaking its blue butt to your competitors

as a sign to overtake your car pronto :P

Given the rubber tyres on 935... It's probably not a bad choice.

If the bushes & brushes are ok, these old SDs can be revived by water dipping.

Their magnets were weak from the factory, won't feel much kick at the arm.

The only sure way of calling these motors out of the count is if your bushes have seized

&/or the brushes have worn down to their arms (stubs of brush fallen off long ago)

and they've overheated so badly the end bell has melted & bushing has dropped.

Willy, many thanks for the info. I'll leave the 380ST in for the time being and see what I can do to possibly revive the 540.

Mokei,

Excellent points in both sides. I searched Tamiya's website and couldn't find them. As a matter if fact, I've been completely unable to find them anywhere.

I used an original sheet for the driver's helmet and they pretty much disintegrated with micro sol. There's no way I would even try to attempt to use vintage stuff after my failed attempt with a 20-year old McLaren MP4/8 early last year.

I'll continue to try and source another set of the static decals for a possible future project.

Indeed! However, for purists that prefer to use waterslide decals like originally on 58002, they can be ordered in/from Japan with item number 9491092. I got them for my 58002 restoration. These are the decals from the 12038 re-release static 935 and thus very close to the original decals of 58002.

They are of course without the tobacco sponsor decals included with 58002 and early versions of the static kit (12023), following Tamiya's self-imposed regulation not to include tobacco sponsor stickers/decals with any item (introduced around 1990/1991).

Some will say that no true purist would use re-re decals for an original vintage model and original decals aren't THAT hard to source, and I tend to agree. But then again, 30+ year old waterslide decals will mostly be brittle and yellowed and though methods exist to revive old decals, I think they are better collected unused as long as virtually identical re-re decals are available.

A truly epic restoration, you should be very proud of your efforts especially the decals and the glass.

I've been chasing some similar decals for a Kremer 935 lexan shell. Part 9494108 is fom the Tamtech Porsche 935 1:12 model. If only i could find a seller in Europe who didn;t want 10-15 euros to send them. I've asked Fusion Hobbies for a price/timescale now, with the option for your 9491092 decals

• Like 1

Just for you Steve ;)

misc_07.jpg

Nice! I have that lil guy still too!

Been looking for a Wheel Jack on eBay but they want a mint for them 100% complete. Around $120 USD at least (no box)

• Like 1

My 58002 in my showroom is listed as "extra info" and I can't change it. Anyone know of a work around?

My 58002 in my showroom is listed as "extra info" and I can't change it. Anyone know of a work around?

You should be able to edit model and alter that field, unless you have it marked as sold (in which case it locks to extra info)

You should be able to edit model and alter that field, unless you have it marked as sold (in which case it locks to extra info)

Hmmm, I've tried that. Will play with the fields later and see what I can do

Hmmm, I've tried that. Will play with the fields later and see what I can do

Drop a PM to Twinset if you are still struggling ;)

Percy,

Thank you bud!!! Had to take out the "sold" checkbox :)

Will upload the new photos later this evening.

Percy,

Thank you bud!!! Had to take out the "sold" checkbox :)

Will upload the new photos later this evening.

Glad you're sorted, that one has thrown me a few times in the past - '' experience is what you get when you were expecting something else '' :lol:

• Like 1

Nice! I have that lil guy still too!

Been looking for a Wheel Jack on eBay but they want a mint for them 100% complete. Around $120 USD at least (no box)

Yeah Wheeljack is quite tricky to get a half decent one. A they don't come up that often and B as you said very expensive. My one I got needs restoring :)

Some decent weather today and I'm back from a business trip, so I thought I'd get some outdoor photos. I'm headed down to the park that has some decent asphalt to do a test run ;)

DSCN0842.jpg
DSCN0839.jpg
DSCN0835.jpg
DSCN0834.jpg
DSCN0838.jpg
DSCN0833.jpg

• Like 2

Just got back from her test. Slower than dirt because this thing weighs a ton, but that's okay since I wanted to do a gentle run. Very good turning radius, but the back end bounces around a lot. All in all, pretty darned happy :)

Borat_Great_Success.jpg

Now, for the next project. A re-re Wild One that'll be here by the end of the month.

Like I stated earlier, they are not great runners. The lack of any real suspension in the back just makes them bounce around. That's why I would never recommend a motor faster than a stock silver can mabuchi

Just for you Steve ;)

misc_07.jpg

All of a sudden it's 1988 again!

It's a re-release! Even Transformers are not immune...

- J

Finally some time to myself and a beautiful day to run her. My apologies for the shaky video, my 10 year old son was filming :)

• Like 2

I'm a little late to the party. Great find, I never luck out like this.

Great job on the restoration. I actually do have a digital scan of the original decal sheet. It would need to be restored, so a lot of work. If anyone ever needs it, just pm me