Thought I'd post this as it might of interest to TXT-1 owners out there (and possibly TXT-02 and Jugg owners too).

I recently bought an EzRun 4274 combo from Ebay, to fit either in my TXT-1 or the half track I'm building (In the big rigs forum). I did a trial fitment in the TXT-1 and with the aid of a home made spacer it fits quite well:

Before and after, the 2 Trinity chameleon motors for size comparison against the 4274. The 4274 also has an extra 4mm on the diameter:

img33435_05122013222408_6.jpg

I used a RW racing pinion, and 15tooth for 5mm shaft. It was a bit of a tight fit, but running a 5mm drill bit through the centre removed the slight high spots around the grub screw hole and now it slides on smoothly. It also has the advantage over the pinions on the standard size motors of having wider teeth which match the counter gear width perfectly.

img33435_05122013222408_4.jpg

Spacer is clearly visible here. It's made from a 5mm thick aluminium plate, and gives perfect separation for fitment of the pinion. It's circular, 40mm diameter, 14mm centre hole, with motor holes 25mm apart.

img33435_05122013222408_5.jpg

Fits in the chassis quite nicely:

img33435_05122013222408_1.jpg

img33435_05122013222408_2.jpg

Although it is a very close fit to the suspension cantilever.

img33435_05122013222408_3.jpg

If I'm going to fit it I still need to cut a couple of pieces out of the spacer plate to accommodate the countersunk screw that holds the centre counter gear shaft, and also the bottom mounting screw closest to the motor, but it's a fairly simple fitment to fit what is a motor that is quite larger than normal. The motor is only 2000KV, but the combo is rated for 4S, which would make the performance quite lively, although I would probably only use it with 3S at the most.

Still can't decide whether to put it in this or the half track though....

• Like 1

Whow this would be a monster of torque.

Can't wait to see a movie about this monster truck with this motor fitted running on a track.

Max

Following this with interest as I currently have a 6.5t 540 DualSky brushless setup in my TXT - its on a 14t pinion and is more than mental enough for me - but I robbed the electrics from my DEX410 so need to buy something suitable eventually and was thinking about a 550 can - I assume thats what this is?

I was thinking about something like this...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24428__turnigy_trackstar_sct_5_5t_sensored_brushless_motor_3750kv_550_size_.html

Thoughts MadInventor?

Following this with interest as I currently have a 6.5t 540 DualSky brushless setup in my TXT - its on a 14t pinion and is more than mental enough for me - but I robbed the electrics from my DEX410 so need to buy something suitable eventually and was thinking about a 550 can - I assume thats what this is?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24428__turnigy_trackstar_sct_5_5t_sensored_brushless_motor_3750kv_550_size_.html

Thoughts MadInventor?

That will be more mental than the one I bought. It's 3750Kv vs the 2000Kv of mine, and also smaller, 36mm diameter vs 40mm, and 65mm length vs 74. Also the 4274 I bought is good for 4s, vs the 3S of the trackstar. However, in theory the 3750 would be faster on 3S than the 2000Kv on 4s. Basically the 4274 would not be as fast, but it's extra torque would mean it would be less likely to overheat if the gear ratios are kept the same.

I would point out that I forgot to check if the upper suspension links hit the motor can at full travel, so need to check that.

I've yet to actually run this yet, perhaps wait until I can get a video of it running and that will give you something to judge for yourself.

I've just got around to testing the combo this afternoon and found the ESC is DOA. I can carry out the basic setting up, but it refuses to communicate with the program card, and I have tested the program card with another combo and know it works. Just hope the Ebay seller I bought it from is amenable to resolving it.......

Haha that motor is a mammoth in there! People talk about chassis twist with the stock silvercans... your front end should be able to do a complete 360 while the rear is still wondering what day it is with this puppy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Haha that motor is a mammoth in there! People talk about chassis twist with the stock silvercans... your front end should be able to do a complete 360 while the rear is still wondering what day it is with this puppy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Knowing Martin he will machine something from a pair of RSJ's to make his own chassis :lol:

Well the ESC isn't DOA, I just hadn't read the instructions properly (Well I hadn't read the right instructions :wacko: ). I read the instructions that came with the program card for the combo which say to plug the ESC control lead into the program card, and couldn't get it to work. However, when reading the instructions for the ESC, it mentions on one line the 'special program lead' used to connect the ESC to the program card. What is necessary is to unplug the fan lead, at which point you see the sticker behind the plug shows 3 pins, and then use the lead that came in the box to plug this pin-out into the program card. Not exactly intuitive. Hey presto, it all works. I even got the motor to rotate in both directions after reading further. Apparently the connections from the motor to the ESC have to be in a particular sequence and I had the blue and orange wires round the wrong way, causing the motor to only rotate forwards. Anyway, I've decided to give this motor a try out in the TXT, so watch this for a vid link to youtube in the next couple of days (Hopefully if the weathers ok)

...Apparently the connections from the motor to the ESC have to be in a particular sequence ...

Isn't this always the case for all busless set ups?

I don't say this to be rude, you got me genuinely interested in knowing if there for instance are ESC's out there that will detect the wire order and adjust.

Isn't this always the case for all busless set ups?

I don't say this to be rude, you got me genuinely interested in knowing if there for instance are ESC's out there that will detect the wire order and adjust.

I'm sure the other ezrun combos I've used haven't specified an order for the connections if I remember correctly, but they were 2 pole motors.

Got the final install done on the motor today. I spent about an hour making a blanking plate / heatsink, and then drilled a couple of holes in the CF radio tray so that I could screw the ESC directly to it.

Heatsink:

img33435_07122013152742_1.jpg

Fitted:

img33435_07122013152742_2.jpg

Very close fit to chassis support bar, but there is clearance:

img33435_07122013152742_3.jpg

Top link touches motor just before full travel, I just need to add some O rings onto the damper piston to limit the travel slightly.

img33435_07122013152742_4.jpg

Final install. 3S fits easily into the battery tray with a Velcro strap, and speedo fits neatly on top of CF radio tray

img33435_07122013152742_5.jpg

And here's a quick video of the test run. Can't really get to full throttle due to the size of the garden, 0 degrees timing and 50% punch.

http://youtu.be/TzQ2UTCl4-I

• Like 3

Thoughts MadInventor?

So Skip, what do you think of the vid ??

So Skip, what do you think of the vid ??

Looks great - definitely torquier than my setup - looks like a winner to me :) Took mine for a proper bash to my local BMX track yesterday and its running well - apart from the driveshaft grub screws came loose on the front driveshaft so I ended up with 2WD :( I remember tightening them as hard as I dared - guess that wasn't enough :(

If you apply threadlock on any metal to metal screws, they won't come loose by themself again. Tamiya threadlock gel is what I am using.

I did use the included threadlock but think I need to get tougher with the allen key! I dont have a 2.5mm (I think thats what it is?) driver which doesn't help...

Guess I should get one - can anyone confirm the size I need (too lazy to look...!)

I did use the included threadlock but think I need to get tougher with the allen key! I dont have a 2.5mm (I think thats what it is?) driver which doesn't help...

Guess I should get one - can anyone confirm the size I need (too lazy to look...!)

It is 2.5mm. I can get mine tight enough so they don't come undone without using threadlock, just make sure you're lined up with the flat on the shaft or the UJ will be very difficult to get off, and don't worry if the allen key bends a bit. ;)

Hehe - will do - cheers! :)

The BMX track I go to has some serious jumps - had to get used to using the power to keep the truck level whilst in the air - would love to race about with some other TXT/Clods - no one near me has one though :(

National TXT/Clod meet anyone?! lol

Running my truck over Christmas and hit a mole hill and it sounded like the pinion was slipping on the motor shaft. Taken me until yesterday to be bothered to repair it as it looked a right mission to get the motor out! Discovered that one of the motor mount screws had completely unscrewed itself and was rattling around in the pinion/spur area! :o I was using a 14t pinion (just because I had one already) so have taken the opportunity to upgrade to a 15t - hopefully this will calm the take-off and give me a bit more speed in open areas as the truck could easily cope with it.

Got me thinking though - has anyone tried even bigger pinions with hot motors in the TXT transmission? Cant imagine it would like the 19t stock TXT-2 ones...

Running my truck over Christmas and hit a mole hill and it sounded like the pinion was slipping on the motor shaft. Taken me until yesterday to be bothered to repair it as it looked a right mission to get the motor out! Discovered that one of the motor mount screws had completely unscrewed itself and was rattling around in the pinion/spur area! :o I was using a 14t pinion (just because I had one already) so have taken the opportunity to upgrade to a 15t - hopefully this will calm the take-off and give me a bit more speed in open areas as the truck could easily cope with it.

Got me thinking though - has anyone tried even bigger pinions with hot motors in the TXT transmission? Cant imagine it would like the 19t stock TXT-2 ones...

I've run mine with 20tooth pinions in, on kyosho magnetic mayhem motors, which I think were 22turn, and it was fine for running on a reasonably flat surface. I'm planning on putting a much larger pinion on the 4274 as the torque is monstrous (pardon the pun), but the top speed is quite laclustre. I can run it for 20 mins at the moment and the motor is barely warm

That's a plan of mine for this year - upgrade to a 550 can size motor and suitable ESC - if it can pull a bigger pinion then great. I run on grass a lot so at the moment wont go too mad.

What is everyone's opinion on gluing the TXT tyres? I took mine to the park this weekend and as it was wet on the ground it didn't take long before I was just spinning the rims inside the tyres rather than getting full acceleration... I appreciate the spinning I am experiencing is by design as a crude slipper clutch - but it was rather annoying... I did wonder about just gluing the rears.... Got some Shoe Goo on the way anyway....

Is that a sneaky "MadInventor" anti roll bar setup I can spy on the chassis?? Care to share :)

img33435_07122013152742_5.jpg

The anti roll bars on the lower suspension arms are a standard fit. There's no anti roll bars on the chassis, the suspension is the standard setup with some GPM alloy cantilever arms, that's all.

Re the tyres, I've glued mine on, directly against what it says to do in the manual. Gluing the tyres on solves the grip problem, but what usually happens then is that the centre drive shafts destroy themselves in short order and need to be replaced with stronger ones. I'm using traxxas revo shafts on mine, which can be fitted with a small amount of modification to the drive shafts.

See here for details

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=100633&id=33435

Interesting as the Agrios has no such setup but still c o c k s the front wheel when it grips on take-off... I just wondered if this was a method you had implemented to counter-act it...

Cheers - I wondered if it was to save the transmission - but I had always expected the driveshafts to give up at some point and I would just deal with it then!

Guess I will be gluing this week then - thanks! :)