Sign in to follow this  
StuartUK

Spraying Shells

Hi all,

I've got a Mercs Tamiya bodyshell with my TT02

Have also bought anther shell for a few quid (not Tamiya)

Anyway, it states the material is PVC

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-10-RC-Car-Clear-Body-Shell-190mm-Lexus-LFA-Road-Drift-Yokomo-TT-01-DRB-DIB-/110997476954?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item19d7f7165a

Might be being stupid here, but is that the same as Lexan (the Tamiya bodyshells ?)

I bought some Tamiya spray paint yesterday, the polycarb stuff, and the guy in the shop said I have to spray the shell on the inside ????

so questions are:

Do I spray any shell on the inside...

and if a shell is PVC and not lexan, do I use a paint spray can as opposed to the polycarb spray can ?

:)

For polycarbonate (lexan shells) you leave (or add) the overspray film on the outside of the shell to prevent paint falling on that surface, and paint the inside with Tamiya PS sprays. The remove the outer film to reveal a lovely glossy paint finish, thats flexible and will not flake on impacts/crashes.

PVC might be different - i suggest you try some ps spray on an offcut from the PVC shell first

Tamiya hard shells are ABS plastic and are painted on the outer surface using Tamiya TS sprays

• Like 1

FWIW, I have had better luck with Testors paint vs. Tamiya polycarbonate paint when it comes to flaking. Every shell I have painted has cracked and flaked when I used Tamiya paint, the Testors paint just seems a lot more flexible to me. My shells do take a beating so some may not have seen the issues I have. I do proper preparation, I am certain, the PS paint just flakes and cracks in areas that take the abuse when I crash.