Quandry

Hotshot 2007 (Metallic Special) Build - #84265

I would think very carefully about putting that Avante Black Special motor into your Hotshot. Those motors are already highly desired items, very rare and rising in value. They will undoubtedly be collectors items in years to come and it seems a bit of a waste to put one in a Hotshot. Would it not be better to just fit a standard GT Tuned?

Thanks Wandy, that did cross my mind however a fleeting moment of madness made me pop it from the pack and fit it to the Hotshot. Still everyone else who has one NIB will be celebrating that their investment has become all the more rare now.

I'm a terrible investor, but I'm good at having fun. I've accepted that.

• Like 4

Interesting that the motor was brought up, because for a moment there I was thinking about enquiring about the motor as mine is wearing.

However, I probably would have been unable to pay the right price for it, and so long as it is getting run time in a much-loved project, how can I complain? At least when the motor does finally give, we know what it is equivalent to, and I hope you get the chance to run through a few more with this buggy!

We were blessed with sunshine yesterday so i took the Hotshot out for a couple of photos:

WP_20140104_002.jpg

WP_20140104_003.jpg

WP_20140104_004.jpg

WP_20140104_005.jpg

Crash Cramer and Ray Lynch out for some offroading..

WP_20140104_012.jpg

WP_20140104_013.jpg

• Like 3

For interest I took a couple of pics of the cars side by side to compare sizes, of which they are quite close...

WP_20140104_015.jpg

WP_20140104_016.jpg

We also put some Lipos in and did some mixed bashing out the front. Combination of tarmac and garden/grass. It would be great to find a good offroading spot though so I'll have to get out and do a drive around. Overall though the GT motor is breaking in nicely and I get really great acceleration from the 13T pinion.

• Like 1

WP_20131229_019.jpg

Overall not too bad, the mask of lines on the body worked perfectly. Unfortunately the lines for the wing did not work so well, but they are definately passable at 5 feet. Lets face it, this shell is for running not sitting on the shelf.

I realise this is too late for you but others might find this of some help. I haven't tried this on Tamiya paints but my hunch is that it would work just as well. The paint I like to use is Auto Air Colors and they make one called Transparent Base which is clear. It isn't a clear top coat, just a clear paint. So, here is what I do to avoid bleeds on my masking. After I have masked off an area, I shoot a coat or two of the Transparent Base. This completely seals the edge of the masking tape, frisket or liquid mask against the body but doesn't interfere with the paint colours. I then shoot the second colour with confidence that I will not get any bleeds. I've used the Auto Air Transparent Base on a fair number of different brands of paint and it has worked just fine, not adverse reactions. Therefore, I am fairly confident that it would work with Tamiya paints as well. Of course, always do a test yourself to ensure any paint combination is going to work before using on a car body. Auto Air only sell Transparent Base as an airbrush paint and that is the only way I have used it. However, since it is clear, and you are working with lexan which is more forgiving than exterior applications, I don't see why you couldn't simply brush a coat of Transparent Base along the edge of the masking tape to seal it off. I'll try this on a test piece and see how well it works and post the result.

Cheers all. I did some more bashing with the Hotshot on Sunday. 10 minutes of full power driving in thick/wet grass. The motor was barely luke warm. I think I'm moving up to the 15tooth pinion!! :)

Just reminiscing over my old build thread, I still have my Hotshot and like any good Tamiya it's still going strong!! :)

Here's some updated photos:

h92015.jpg

h82015.jpg

h72015.jpg

h62015.jpg

Great photos buddy :) I'm sure 1 must have ended up as your screen saver ;)

• Like 1

On 21/4/2016 at 9:53 PM, chevelle said:

Great photos buddy :) I'm sure 1 must have ended up as your screen saver ;)

Thanks!   my Hotshot is still going strong - might try and get some more photos in coming weeks :)

My Hotshot is still my all time favourite runner!

It's a solid machine, can take a lot of abuse and comes back for more.    I have just ordered a set of MIP ball diffs and am looking forward to this interesting mod on such a great car...