Sign in to follow this  
Indetrucks

Toyota PreRunner - TA01 or TA02? Need Alloy Motor Mount

I have the PreRunner and read that it has the TA02 Chassis but uses the TA01 suspension.

So where does that leave me in terms of finding an alloy/alluminum motor mount? Do I look for a TA01 or TA02 mount? Or maybe they are both the same?

yrac_ta04-013_001.jpg

Where is the best place stateside to order this mount? RC Mart as offered in the link above?

Thanks for the help!

The motor mount attaches to the chassis, so if you have a TA02 chassis tub, a TA02 mount will work irrespective of which suspension you are running.

Unfortunately I am not sufficiently familiar with the TA01 to confirm whether or not the mounts are identical, but I have a feeling they might be since the hop-up mounts are sold as suitable for both chassis types.

• Like 1

Upon further research it does appear the mounts are shared between the TA01 & TA02.

Also with this search I have found an aluminum midshaft (4WD driveshaft). They do offer different options for the TA01 & TA02. Does the midshaft fall under suspension or chassis?

DO I order the TA01 or TA02 midshaft?

yrac_ta01-134_001.jpg

Midshaft falls under chassis, so if you have a TA02 chassis tub, you'll want a TA02 midshaft.

get the alloy one from Pargu's store its a one piece like the plastic one.

DSC01864.jpg

pargustore.com makes some nice alloy thingies.

your right, missed that, your mount is one piece too :wacko: gotten used to the gpm didnt notice that yracing did an upgrade

pargustore.com makes some nice alloy thingies.

your right, missed that, your mount is one piece too :wacko: gotten used to the gpm didnt notice that yracing did an upgrade

Cool thanks, I'll check out Pargu's store

You can find the motor mounts a lot cheaper at RCMart or asiatees websites

some places show two versions, with a differing range of pinion sizes - on the pre-runner I suggest you go for the lower range due to the large tyre diameter

18T - 22T pinions http://www.asiatees.com/display?Tamiya-TA01-Parts-Hop-Ups-Upgrades&brand=Tamiya&model=TA01&id=1611&pid=1

16T - 21T pinions http://www.asiatees.com/display?Tamiya-TA01-Parts-Hop-Ups-Upgrades&brand=Tamiya&model=TA01&id=3440&pid=1

• Like 1

You can find the motor mounts a lot cheaper at RCMart or asiatees websites

some places show two versions, with a differing range of pinion sizes - on the pre-runner I suggest you go for the lower range due to the large tyre diameter

18T - 22T pinions http://www.asiatees.com/display?Tamiya-TA01-Parts-Hop-Ups-Upgrades&brand=Tamiya&model=TA01&id=1611&pid=1

16T - 21T pinions http://www.asiatees.com/display?Tamiya-TA01-Parts-Hop-Ups-Upgrades&brand=Tamiya&model=TA01&id=3440&pid=1

Thanks for the heads up. Asiatee's has a bit more hop ups for the TA02 :)

Only issue I see with the that mount is it's a three piece design. Is that a problem?

Their mount is three piece - the posts are screwed in from one side of the moutn ring, and the motor secured from the opposite - A dab of loctite on the screws is all thats required. When installed in the gearcase the post screws are under compression anyway so can't back out even if they wanted to ;)

Never had an issue with this design on numerous TA-01/02/DF-01 chassis

I would go for a one piece one, even if they cost a little more.

Had a GPM come apart once and some fellow TB had similar problems.

Even if you never see them from the outside the Pargu one is a nice replacement.

The GPMs are pretty cheap but one of the pairs of screws don't match (or didn't use to, they need to be switched for countersunk) and the pins will definitely come undone if you don't lock them properly.

Which can be quite the headache...

So I'd recommend a one-piece too.

I would have thought that Tamiya would have re-released this hop-up by now. I got lucky when I got mine as it was in a jumble of random parts on ebay that no one bid on.

My first Tamiya alloy TA mount was in a scrappy Hummer chassis I got for 10€, most parts were toast except the motor mount.

(which I didn't know it was included) :lol:

How to fix the broken motor mount (Tamiya TA01 / TA02).

We only need two countersunk head screws (M3 and 20-25mm long) and a drill.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It is attached with 2 nuts:

spacer.png

• Like 1