JWeston

Egress - What motor?

Apologies if this has been raised somewhere before. I had a quick but not extensive look.

What motor are people planning to run in their rere Egress? Same question applies to rere Avante runners.

I cannot make my mind up. I want mine to be fast but don't want to overdo it with a 9t brushless if it's going to kill something.

Thanks! :)

J

I've gone for a 10.5 Speed Passion brushless setup, with 2S LiPo for mine. I intend to share this setup between my Dyna Storm project car and my Egress.

I have a 8.5 in my TRF201, and feel it is just too quick for an older chassis. 10.5 seemed like a good balance of speed with less chance of excess strain on the drivetrain of either cars.

• Like 1

Im sticking to old tech and a brushed Tamiya Super modified, with a Volac MS speedo. Nimh cells too, may go LIPO at some point, but not really that bothered, its just a bit of fun i guess and its a tiny install along with one of my KO receivers !

lee

• Like 1

10.5 or i may go too 9.5 brushless , as my vintage one went well & it didn't go wrong .

7.4 li-po 10.5 & your good too go . Just remember , you CAN turn down the brushless

if it's too much to sute the track or what ever you are doing .

• Like 1

The Egress/Avante 2001 can easy manage a 10T brushed so I suppose a similar brushless motor should be a good option.

Max

• Like 1

I run a 17,5 brushless in my Avante2011. It could use some more topend though, so I think the system will go in one of my 2wd's instead, and then I think I will go the brushed way with a Superstock in the Avante.

• Like 1

Thank you chaps. You've helped me decide to go for a 9t Ezrun Photon. :)

• Like 1

10t brushed is a badword of a lot quicker than 10t brushless so you'll be fine! I'm running an 8.5 speed passion sensored combo in mine.

• Like 1

I plan on using a GT tuned in my Egress, and as i recall, the GT tuned should be nearly similar to the "Avante Special" in the re-re Avante?. I am probably not going to use the Egress much, and should i desire something more speedy, I have my old B4 with a 5 turn Nosram brushless, and my Kyosho ZX5 with a 6,5 turn LRP in it (if I remember correctly, lol)..

Another choice could be either the BZ as Haider mentions, or a TZ, which also lays around...

Also, I have a few cars with the eZrun 4350 kV systems in them, and I have to say, that I am very pleased with both the performance and the rigidity of those systems.. 2 of them are placed in DF-03 RA chassis´, and have been run furiously in both dust, mud, rain and snow, and none of them has had any issues yet. :)

• Like 1

Ive not run the Super Modified i have as yet, its labelled as an 11t, but I've heard it more like a 19t in performance lol, i do have a good selection of Reedy and Trinity hand wound mods, but there pretty hot winds being in the 8 to 11 bracket, and wanted to keep my install to as much Tamiya badged gear as i can!

10t brushed is a badword of a lot quicker than 10t brushless so you'll be fine! I'm running an 8.5 speed passion sensored combo in mine.

No a good 10t brushed is NOT like 10T brushless. 10.5T is an oddity and only similar to 13T or 14T brushed motor. 13.5T brushless is comparable to 23T brushed super stocks. and 17.5T brushless is similar to a good tuned 27T brushed motor. The problem is boost & turbo ESCs kinda throw a lot of those rules out the window.

• Like 1

It's best to compare brushed RPMs (under load) against brushless kV at a given Voltage.

Turns are misleading anyway.

I never had a brushless motor, sorry, so I can only speak about brushed motors.

My Avante 2001 ran with a 10x3 with 40.000/45.000 rpm at no loads (sorry don't know the rpm with load) and a 8.4V battery.

The car was very fast and did manage the power load without any problem.

The only problem I had was the pinion gear wear that broke the spur gear teeth but it was my fault. Changed the pinioin gear with a steel one and no more problems.

Max

I will use: esc 105BK + receiver TRU-02 + servo s3003 and TZ motor with 15T steel pinion...:-)

It's worth checking the 105BK and the 15T. I don't think they'll like each other. 105BK prefers 23T.

J

It's worth checking the 105BK and the 15T. I don't think they'll like each other. 105BK prefers 23T.

J

So u mean to say, 105BK ESC with TZ motor the suitable pinion will be within the range 18T ~ 23T ?

I will use: esc 105BK + receiver TRU-02 + servo s3003 and TZ motor with 15T steel pinion...:-)

An Egress deserves far better than S3003

I know it's true to Tamiya advertisement/hobby show but my goodness its an incredibly S L O WWWWWww servo. A $4 Hobbyking one has better spec :(

• Like 1

@Tamiya Era: The fastest motor approved for the TEU-101/104/105-BK is the GT Tuned Motor (same motor as the Avante 2011 motor). If you want to go the official way, the TEU-302BK is the approved ESC for the Superstock TZ motor.

• Like 1

Yeah a 3003 is a poop servo indeed, weak and slow. Try maybe look at an alternative, I've sampled a few of the Alturn units, way cheap, and they work flawless for the money, metal gears and speedy fast too.

lee

• Like 1

@Tamiya Era: The fastest motor approved for the TEU-101/104/105-BK is the GT Tuned Motor (same motor as the Avante 2011 motor). If you want to go the official way, the TEU-302BK is the approved ESC for the Superstock TZ motor.

The issue was , i dont have the 302BK but now i managed to get 2 ;)

once everything is done, will take some video shoots

At least those genuine Futaba S3003 servos are fine for entry-level 1/10th scale 2WD buggies and 4WD touring cars.

- They do center properly

- They do not overshoot

- They do not jitter

- They do not emit that annoying buzzing / humming noise when standing still (who doesn't hate that noise?)

- They have decent speed and torque (for entry-level as said above, of course. Do not use them in heavy Monster Trucks).

This is very much unlike other cheap brands entry-level servos I tried so far. For more speed or torque, I use Savöx digital servos, as they are good value for money (doesn't mean they are super-cheap), come with a variety of mounting hardware and use the Futaba-style spline. Comparable mid-range Futaba servos are more pricey than Savöx.

@Tamiya Era: If it really, really needs to be a Futaba servo (Just for style. Since this is the OEM brand from which Tamiya rebadges their servos and radio systems), I think the bread-and-butter S3003 might not be "extraordinary" enough for your Egress 4WD buggy. It's not a race-level spec servo.

• Like 1