JWeston

Egress - What motor?

A standard servo like the 3003 will work OK especially if not racing. Being a 4WD, the Egress could be happier with a higher torque servo, though.

If you want a slightly better servo (more speed/torque) but want to stay with Futaba, go for the 3010: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDTB3&P=ML

I also highly recommend the Hitec 645MG for more torque (nice for trucks or things with larger wheels: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUZ89&P=ML

• Like 1

So u mean to say, 105BK ESC with TZ motor the suitable pinion will be within the range 18T ~ 23T ?

Oh god, ignore me. I read it as 15t motor!! :wacko:

A standard servo like the 3003 will work OK especially if not racing. Being a 4WD, the Egress could be happier with a higher torque servo, though.

If you want a slightly better servo (more speed/torque) but want to stay with Futaba, go for the 3010: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDTB3&P=ML

I also highly recommend the Hitec 645MG for more torque (nice for trucks or things with larger wheels: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUZ89&P=ML

Yea..how did I forget about s3010..I have Tamiya TPs3010. Will use it with 302BK ESC and TZ motor and will start with 13T pinion and see how it goes.

• Like 1

With the TZ/BZ you will probably want larger 18-21T pinions. I've run my Vanquish with a 19T and then 20T on a TZ with freshly cut comm and 2S 3800/35c lipo. Fantastic punch with tripple ball diffs. Should be even better with Egress one-way or locker.

• Like 1

The SuperStock BZ is even the officially recommended re-re Egress hop-up motor by Dickie-Tamiya Germany. :) As far as I know, this should be essentially a rebadged SuperStock TZ with a dust cover and rubber band included?

The SuperStock BZ is even the officially recommended re-re Egress hop-up motor by Dickie-Tamiya Germany. :) As far as I know, this should be essentially a rebadged SuperStock TZ with a dust cover and rubber band included?

BZ and TZ are identical except for: The BZ has the Sponge dust cover with rubber band while the TZ hasnt got.

OK..

I am using : 302BK ESC , TZ motor, 3000 mAh 7.2v Ni-Mh Battery and 19T pinion and the motor gets too hot!!!...so i guess i have to go for 17T pinion ??

Cheers

Edited: by mistake i wrote 22T, now corrected to 17T

Go down 1 tooth to 18T and try again. Going up in size will only make the motor hotter.

• Like 1

Go down 1 tooth to 18T and try again. Going up in size will only make the motor hotter.

Thanks Bud......i made mistake by writing 22T,,,,;)

i will try to go slowly down in pinion gears,,,and see how it is going..

• Like 1

Thanks Bud......i made mistake by writing 22T,,,,;)

i will try to go slowly down in pinion gears,,,and see how it is going..

So mate you have given the beast a run ?.

So mate you have given the beast a run ?.

Yes mate..and what a run man...this is really something. .I love it...so neat, smooth and sexy..:-).

Just had motor heat issue which I believe in TZ u need to use different gear ratio than the BZ.

Just now put in the 18T and time to test it..;-).

So how is urs?

Cheers

Yes mate..and what a run man...this is really something. .I love it...so neat, smooth and sexy..:-).

Just had motor heat issue which I believe in TZ u need to use different gear ratio than the BZ.

Just now put in the 18T and time to test it..;-).

So how is urs?

Cheers

Mine is fine , But i need to go up a tooth or two ( brushless ) & the front is too soft / sag on the shocks ( but

that could be because the shock tower is higher & i have the metal brackets on the lower shocks ) ,

the rear shocks are too hard , so i will sort that out . But i still have the flu & it's not good , it's getting out

of hand & should go to the doc's & get it sorted !. I'm also thinking of different tyres , as i'm on a hard

surface with some sand on it . Need to set up the toe & caster etc as well , so i will put it on the set up

board & get that done .

But it's still great fun & would love to race it . But sadly i'm 400 k's away

from Perth to run it in the vintage weekends :( ..

Hope you get yours sorted .

• Like 1

Ok I went down to 18T Pinion and after 15 mins, the motor gots too hot!!

Note: I drove on a very short/small track with many brakes and reverse command.

So does this affect the heat of the motor?

The BZ and TZ motors are both tuned for torque. They should be the same but rebadged with different accessories. The RZ is tuned for high RPMs onroad use and has a different brush alignment, as far as I know.

If you accelerate and brake a lot but can't get the motor up to its ideal RPM range, it will run inefficiently and emit heat.

Try pinions with less teeth to let the motor run more efficient. What's the smallest pinion for the Egress?

Hi dude. Certainly using a lot of stop and go will heat up the motor more quickly than long straights and sweeping turns. Using mild reverse to slow down (if that is what you meant?) is especially nasty.

If you can stand the slower speed, keep trying smaller pinions. If you have a temperature gauge, record the temps for each pinion and hopefully you'll see lower temps for the smaller pinions.

I fear you will run out of patience for the slower speed and/or the smallest pinion still allows the motor to get too hot. In that case I don't really have a solution other than to find a different motor or live with the fact that you could "melt" the TZ over time (ruin magnets, etc., due to heat).

Good luck finding the sweet spot!

• Like 2

@Tamiya Era: The surface you run on has an influence, too. If your car has to plow through soft sand and grass, it will put more strain on the motor than running on tarmac.

• Like 1

Thanks guys...

GregM:

I do drive it on marble. So I believe the issue is due to small/short space which requires me to use more brakes and reverse and leads to motor heat up.

Will try and take out for a long range ride and see.

Id like some tips on pinion for a Tamiya Super Modified, its reputed an 11turn, but I've heard nowhere near haha, oh Tamiya you do make me chuckle, but i loves ya!

lee

OK,,,i did some ride with very few reverse/Brakes and indeed the temperature of the motor is reduced.

My Question, Why Tamiya did include the stock 22T in their kit ??? definitely will rise BZ's Temperature!

The BZ and TZ motors are both tuned for torque. They should be the same but rebadged with different accessories. The RZ is tuned for high RPMs onroad use and has a different brush alignment, as far as I know.If you accelerate and brake a lot but can't get the motor up to its ideal RPM range, it will run inefficiently and emit heat.Try pinions with less teeth to let the motor run more efficient. What's the smallest pinion for the Egress?

Smallest pinion u can use is 12T. As I am using 12T pinion on my vintage.

Re-Re will be fine with 12T too

did you run inside or outside (what is the current temp in Oman B) )

An Egress deserves far better than S3003

I know it's true to Tamiya advertisement/hobby show but my goodness its an incredibly S L O WWWWWww servo. A $4 Hobbyking one has better spec :(

I just bought another Savox SC1258TG servo. Just love them. I haven't decided yet if i will put it in the 2K1 or the 1988 Avante.

My Question, Why Tamiya did include the stock 22T in their kit ??? definitely will rise BZ's Temperature!

All I can guess is the 22T pinion might be intended for use with a regular Mabuchi RS-540 motor ("silvercan") or with a 25 Turns GT Tuned motor.
  • Like 2