Toykid

Scale engines for your SRB chassis

Zac,

Here is an image of the real Funco Bel Ray Bullet from the Peterson Baja 1000 exhibit last year in LA.

2013_petersen_baja_1000_exhibit_off_road

You can see here that the real 1:1 doesn't have the rear of the body come around like it does on the Rough Rider. So if you wanted you could just cut it off. I just can't bring my self to do that to the original body that I have on my shelf.

James.

I see that is a nice car! Are you planning any roof / engine scoops (to add on to your engines), turbo air cooled engine, or replacement hoods?

hood/scoop like these-

baja-bug11.jpg

turbo motor like this-

0.jpg

Wow, very cool desert bug. I have had a few requests to make these sort of parts. Once I finish my old Class 5 I might be tempted to create a few for that model.

Part of me wants to keep that car as is, another part of me wants to add more scale details to it. I built in in 2006 and since then many members on TC, RAD22Rad alloys, SRB Bloke and Franklin, to name a few, have really taken the Sand Scorcher to much higher levels of detail.

I won't lie if you made a turbo motor.. I'd get one haha it would fit my build sweet cause it is a rocket and hard to keep straight..

The design skill and attention to detail are most impressive. Looking forward to when the manufacturing process brings prices to within reach of my wallet!

Just getting back in to my tamiyas after moving last year and re-subscribed to the club etc.

Got a buggy champ and scorcher bodyset just need to convert and get me one of these well cool, loving the sidewinder option most!

Have to remember painting techniques from my scale models!

you should consider changing your TC name to ToyMan because no kid can produce what you are producing and the paint works.

Zac,

Here is an image of the real Funco Bel Ray Bullet from the Peterson Baja 1000 exhibit last year in LA.

2013_petersen_baja_1000_exhibit_off_road

You can see here that the real 1:1 doesn't have the rear of the body come around like it does on the Rough Rider. So if you wanted you could just cut it off. I just can't bring my self to do that to the original body that I have on my shelf.

James.

That is easy. Just buy the re re so you can have one that is exact like the real deal with quad shocks at the rear, roof top spare, dorsal fin number plate...and one like Tamiya's version.

@tamiya1/10 yes that is the conclusion I have come too as well, these SRB's are just so expensive :) I've gone through 3 re-re's to date and now I need another !? It was a big reason why my latest chenowth sand rail was built around a FAV :)

Final engine parts arrived yesterday. New parts should go for sale on my store later today :)

James , any idea when you will have a Frog / FAV / Wild One engine available ?

I am going to release my new cheaper SRB engine this weekend. It will be a good base if you want to adapt it to a frog gearbox.

I'll post a link when its ready.

However the scale engine I plan for this build is going to take a little more time as I need to finish the chassis first, so we are about a month away from me getting to it.

James.

SteveU30,

Hopefully we can make that happen sooner rather than later. By combining a number or parts, elimnating the engine covers, reducing the wall thicknesses and reducing the number of parts that have to be printed in the more expensive material, I have got the price down to be $57.97 - $62.47 (depending on what exhaust set up you want). I am just fitting one to my Class 5 Baja bug now and hope you be able to post pictures tomorrow.

Here it is with the first pass of paint. I just use a brush and Tamiya flat Aluminum XF-16 as it is a good match to the gearbox casting.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As this engine is for my Class 5 Baja bug, I am fitting the turn down exhaust. Always wanted one of these since I first saw Volksrod make one on one of his classic SS builds.

As I want this part to be chrome, I first paint it with XF-16 as I did with the engine, but then sand with 1200 to get it nice and smooth. Tomorrow I'll first hit it with a coat of Alcan gloss black with my airbrush, followed up with the Alcan chrome.

Here is the exhaust after it has been painted and sanded with 1200.

na4uva7u.jpg

Really cool stuffs there, Toykid!

Any chance making and selling a 'double rear shock holder/tower' for the Rough Rider / Buggy Champ? I would be very, very interested to buy a set or two !!

Great new engine James, really keen to see how the chrome comes out..

I really like the twin exhausts, think I'll give those a try.

Toykid! Excellent work as ever!

Have you considered breaking the design down into a few components and creating a silicon mold for cheaper resin production?

At work we rapid prototype things once, then make a resin mold for duplicates :)

Love the attention to detail.. Proper bug engine :D

Edit... Having looked, i can see why you wouldnt want to break it down into more bits! Ahh.. I am very tempted to just got for a set :P

Thanks guys, Here's a little step by step of my paint and assembly process. Exhaust sprayed gloss black ready for chrome.

gu8a8yda.jpg

Areas on engine sprayed black ready for chrome, I don't mask as I will go back in afterwards and paint more XF-16 over any overspray.

ejyduvuh.jpg

Chrome parts sprayed in.

me2ejupe.jpg

Detail parts then hand painted in.

3e5y2enu.jpg

Pulleys chromed and belt hand painted in Matt black.

4yjy2y7u.jpg

Parts assembled ready for final wash.

dajatazu.jpg

Using Tamiya gun metal X-10 and adding a lot of thinner to make it almost transparent. I use this to hand brush over the entire motor, it makes the gun metal pick up all the details and really makes a big difference.

9e4ubysa.jpg

Last thing was to add the wires before mounting the exhaust. I use servo wire and leave the metal wire in as it makes it easy to bend and hold the wires. I glue every thing down with superglue.

u7u9aha5.jpg

Before and after.

ude9yzu7.jpg

• Like 2

Here it is fitted to the gearbox. This new design simply snaps over the gearbox.

qa6y4u7a.jpg

• Like 3

Stunning work James, great tutorial.... really great. You're making me consider SRB projects but I have to stay focus ;)

Tell me though, how chrome is the chrome spray, its not always that easy to see in pics..

I've tried a few makes and its never really chrome, just silver. :)

Alcan works great, the trick is having a really glossy black under coat and then not putting on too much chrome. The rear roll cage on the class 5 Baja was actually chromed too as the originally Alu one's welds bothered me.