kontemax

Egress & Avante 2001 revamp!

Hi Max

I have checked my TRF springs and they don't fit. The TRF springs are 10mm and it looks like the Hi-caps are 11mm. The big bore ones may fit (12mm) but I will have to borrow some from a mate to see so I will have to get back to you on fitment.

This is annoying as I have multiple sets of TRF springs and was going to use them on my Astute project. www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/80290-astute-the-rebirth/

Do you think the kit Hi-cap springs will be suitable for an astute runner? I do really like Hi-caps and would love to use them but my priority is setup and drivability.

I will be very interested in your Super astute project! I have thought a lot about using a TRF201 gearbox for another astute project down the track. I have a spare TRF201 gearbox so if you need any dimensions/details feel free to ask.

I have used the Hi Cap dampers on the track in the past years. They work very well.

At the era you there were optional springs from Tamiya for the Hi-Caps but now they are very rare.
There were two kind of optional springs, with the rounded wire and with the squared wire. There were three kind of springs for each damper, soft, medium, hard and I always used soft for front and hard for the rear on the Astute.

Keep in mind that italian tracks are very very rough and dirty so if the dampers worked well there for sure they will work well everywhere.

You can see my previous Astute here, sorry for the old noisy pictures:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=2182&sid=24

Now retired and disassembled. You can see that I used the Hi-Cap Dampers, I had the original front springs and I tried the Losi's yellow springs at the rear end but I came back to original ones.

Keep in mind that we used at the era the heavy Ni-Mh batteries.

Concerning the TRF201 gearbox I need to know everything about this gearbox, please. Could you contact me in PM please?

Max

On 5/8/2016 at 8:33 PM, kontemax said:

Egress%20Revamp%20164_zpswhod7ccp.jpg

Well, I've always loved the boxart version of the Egress, but the custom colors you chose for your buggy are beautiful indeed.

By the way, if you don't like the color of those springs you can always spray some enamel on them. I have done that myself a number of times and works very good. 

Again, that's a beautiful Egress :)

• Like 1

Just get some aircraft paint remover (Ammonium Hydroxide, Methylene Chloride) at the auto parts store and strip the red coating off. It won't effect the metal underneath, which is what makes it aircraft-safe.

BTW: Don't even handle the chemical directly (only with tools).  Even with thick rubber gloves, the compounds will penetrate and start burning your skin (doesn't even melt the gloves).  For the most part, you can just pour some in a glass and dip the parts with some chop sticks.  Any coating should bubble and fall away.  Simply rinse with water and wash with soap to finish up.

GAR343_KSAARPntRmvr_150dpi_300_300_80.jp

• Like 2

Thank you, I have a similar product used for automotive painting. It strips all the paint unitil the metal.

Max

This project continues because details make the difference.

Today a package from Fibre-Lyte is arrived. It contains original parts and custom drew parts for my projects.

6be8486e-eb2c-4cbe-b033-e59a0698d912_zps

All these parts are for three projects, the Custom 2WD, The Egress Runner and the parallel guest project in this thread, the Avante 2001. Ok, let's go!

Front Avante 2001 shocks mount and Egress custom steering plate:

Egress%20Revamp%20169_zpszvjmpens.jpg

Rear Avante 2001 custom shocks tower:

Egress%20Revamp%20170_zpsncq9fjga.jpg

Differences between the original and the carbon fiber front damper mount:

Egress%20Revamp%20171_zpsggxu9fg1.jpg

As you can see the parts are identical and only the material is different.

Now the part mounted on the model:

AV%202001%20001_zpsffbxak3p.jpg

You can see the perfectness of the Fibre-Lyte parts.

This Avante 2001 is under modification & restoring work:

AV%202001%20002_zpsdveaknmq.jpg

Let's come back to the Egress!

I deeply hate the fiberglass so, where I can, I prefer to replace these parts with genuine carbon fiber parts.

The steering plate of my Egress runner was cut for a better suspension performance. In fact the Avante 2001 steering plate is shorter than the Egress one. I decided to replace this ugly part so I drew a custom steering plate with ahead steering link mounts. I believe that now there's a better geometry between the steering links and the steering hubs.

There's another little but important difference. The two inner holes in the steering plate are closer each one. This should give some ackerman angle to the front end of the model.

Egress%20Revamp%20172_zpshb4d5hn1.jpg

This is a custom part and probably will be replaced with another plate as a development of this one.

Note the position of the steering links, the inner ball ends now are closer to the upper arms ball ends. I believe that the steering geometry now is more efficient.

Egress%20Revamp%20174_zpsadrfvkky.jpg

This model deserved a better steering plate.

Egress%20Revamp%20173_zpsbvtd2li4.jpg

The custom plate works well also with the body in place. The body will be replaced.

Egress%20Revamp%20175_zpsywcxatfh.jpg

Stay tuned for the next news.

Max

Good evening mates, now it is the 02:43 AM Italian hour and there are some news about these two projects.

I went ahead on the Avante 2001 restoring job. The new parts arrived from Fibre-Lyte gave a boost at this project which it was stationary for a long time. Fibre-Lyte has realized, under my drawing, the front and rear shock towers. The front one is an identical copy of the original one, the rear shock tower it totally different because I want to change the rear suspension design.

AV%202001%20003_zpsbeomiiux.jpg

As you can see i will use the very expensive Avante 2011 tower mounts.

To mount this shock tower I must disassemble the top deck of the chassis.

AV%202001%20004_zps8ryymt5v.jpg

This could be a good occasion to display my beefy 48p Spur Gear.

This Avante 2001 has been one of my favourite runners, years ago, and it was really abused with a 45.000 rpm, 11x5 T motor and a 8,4V battery. I destroyed both the spur and the pinion gears and, due the lack of spare parts (no rereleases at the horizon at the era) and the need for a more reliable gears, I built this beauty.

AV%202001%20005_zpscwe1j7ed.jpg

The monster torque of the motor/battery combo contributed to the disaster because the thin motor plate flexed, altering the distance pinion gear/spur gear. So I made these 3mm thick motor plate and 3mm motor mount.

AV%202001%20006_zpswl8wjpjz.jpg

Here the 48p spur gear with ball differential. It could seem a bit rough but it works great!

AV%202001%20007_zpshousk0le.jpg

AV%202001%20008_zpsf1xmbq8c.jpg

Ok, let's go on.
This thing have to go. I never liked the rear Egress set up on the Avante 2001.

AV%202001%20009_zpsv75xltn7.jpg

A little mock up.

AV%202001%20010_zpsmbnyb7ll.jpg

AV%202001%20011_zpsomwpxs8n.jpg

AV%202001%20012_zpsgnzsz5kf.jpg

It works.

Time to drill the holes. A vintage Avante top deck will be the guide for the driller.

AV%202001%20013_zps8awwjymc.jpg

Don't worry, I will not ruin the Avante top deck (and anyway I have a new carbon fiber one ready to be mounted) and the Avante 2001 top deck is old (and I have a spare new one in my storage room).

So, drilling without mercy!

AV%202001%20014_zpsclh3gtho.jpg

Job done!

AV%202001%20015_zps0p4nbigd.jpg

AV%202001%20016_zpsmdyaijsy.jpg

Now my modification is reality, finally.

AV%202001%20017_zpsaxbmqtqi.jpg

Top deck in its own place again and rear view of the Avante 2001.

AV%202001%20018_zpshhbp4cg1.jpg

Not so bad.

AV%202001%20019_zpseenlpp9e.jpg

Tidy job.

AV%202001%20020_zpsis1zpgnc.jpg

AV%202001%20021_zps5auvph2y.jpg

With the body.

AV%202001%20022_zpsl063lsiy.jpg

No interference of any sort. There's no more the gap between the body and the dampers.

AV%202001%20023_zpsr1m8qjor.jpg

This body is battered and will (obviously) replaced with a new one that will be in boxat color, metallic blue PS-16.

AV%202001%20024_zps6z8rffnf.jpg

The rear end now is totally different.

There's no more the massive tower mount and I must decide what to do of the rear stabilizer bar. The rear end now is more tidy and clear. You can notice that the ball joints sit too low without the tower mount. Will solve also this little problem with some spacers.

AV%202001%20025_zpshdhqjkk1.jpg

That's all for the moment.

Goodnight!

Max

• Like 5

New updates today and probably the last ones for a period of time.

Finally, with the new shock towers in place, I can dig out these parts from my dampers box.

AV%202001%20026_zpsei4nxjue.jpg

These dampers were really worn out and had been previously polished and anodized in Champagne color, a sort of light gold, to match as close as possible the vintage Avante gold dampers.

AV%202001%20027_zps33usnzz0.jpg

I believe the result is good. Then I enjoied the building of nearly new Hi Cap dampers, again after many years.

AV%202001%20028_zpsdy2kinvc.jpg

AV%202001%20029_zpspnapaztb.jpg

And this is how they look on the model.

AV%202001%20030_zps5b3jhcb0.jpg

AV%202001%20031_zps4ekxfs8w.jpg

I believe that every Avante deserves the gold dampers, vintage, re-released, 2001, Mk2 or other one.

AV%202001%20032_zps9axz8wpb.jpg

AV%202001%20033_zpsywgxnhah.jpg

The Avante 2001 is far away to be finished as you can see but it is growing.

AV%202001%20034_zps8qmj1bnm.jpg

AV%202001%20035_zpssnzn6pk6.jpg

AV%202001%20036_zpss4gfbgxs.jpg

AV%202001%20037_zpszcpqdzwc.jpg

That's all for the moment.

Now I need to collect some more money to continue these works.

Max

• Like 7

Looking amazing, Max. I love those gold dampers. 

And are your shock towers now on file at Fibre-Lyte? Will I be able to order a set?

• Like 1

Hi, thank you.

Concerning the towers; They are my personal design and I don't believe that in Fibre-Lyte will make them for you.

I will contact them and I will write here again.

Max

Hi mates!

As I made a big mess on my job place (probably 1.500 € of damages) I can't spend money for a while, so here some minor updates on this project. I dug out, from the boxes of the spares, the new shoes for this model.

At the end, I believe that an Egress deserves always its own wheels, that are the best wheels and tires ever designed in the history of our hobby, so here we are!

Egress%20Revamp%20178_zpsyqwc9hhi.jpg

Egress%20Revamp%20177_zpscpuyzfos.jpg

Egress%20Revamp%20176_zps2ui1j2ls.jpg

The restoring work on this model is finished, what I'm doing now is about the look because I decided that this runner becomes a shelf queen, as witness of its glorious days on the track. So, the next posts will concern its aesthetics.

Max

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dangerseeker said:

:wacko: sounds bad

Very bad.

Actually I yet don't know who will pay the damage, if me or the production.

This meant that I lost the buy of the MIP ball diff...

Max

Hey Max. Finally started roughing out my take on the (super) Vanquish using your awesome Avante 2001 custom towers. Thanks again!

super-vanquish_zpscr9fdt2s.jpg

• Like 2

I'm glad you apreciate my design for the towers.

Actually I can't go ahead with my works because I've the bricklayers at home. Once they will finish here I hope to continue soon.

Max

It seems that someone is pushing me to come back into the hobby.
As I said in another thread currently I'm in pause with the hobby due the lack of time, money and room in my home.
Letterally I don't know where to expose my models, where to work on them and every time I open a box of a model I make a lot of mess in my little home.
By the way I was also a little bit tired so I took a break to dedicate to another of my hobbies, my old Aprilia's motorcycles.
But don't worry, I didn't quit with the hobby, I just only waiting for a better situation.

Max

• Like 1

This is one of my favourite threads on Tamiya Club, I cannot wait to see your Avante 2001 finished one day Max.

1 hour ago, Snappy1 said:

This is one of my favourite threads on Tamiya Club, I cannot wait to see your Avante 2001 finished one day Max.

Thanks Snappy.
Currently due to many problems in my life I have stopped with the hobby.
I don't have the time, space and money to continue at the moment.
I hope for some change in my life soon.
I miss the hobby.

Max