StuartUK

TT02 Noob Build - By a Noob (#58586)

Hi all,

Heres my Noob guide to building a TT02, to note i am a complete novice at this and still dont understand a lot! especially electronics and power systems for RC!
This is my 1st attempt at building any RC car (anything RC infact!).
Big THANKS to Quandry & The RC Racer for the guides they have done, as that helps a LOT!
I've probably messed up along the way, as i got a feeling somethings havent fitted right, guess time will tell on Sunday when it gets powered up!....

Mercedes Benz GT3 #58586 Tamiya TT-02
Few TT02 hop-up parts & Jazrider TT02 hop-ups/Ball Bearings - 2S1P Turnigy ROAR Lipo Power
Tamiya SuperStock RZ 23T motor - HiForce/Venon 320a ESC (china special!) - Turnigy TGY-4409MD Digi metal ball Servo - Absima CR2S v2 2.4ghz control system

Stage 1: (5pm)
All the bits, left on the table for about 1hour while i figured out where to start :D
1_zpsc7624d42.jpg

Oh Crumbs! Thats my Toe!
2_zps07c51cd3.jpg

Stage 2: (6:05pm)
Bits still out on table, but after re-reading the threads on here and so on, am ready to test my building patience!

3_zps78c58536.jpg

Stage 3: (6:50pm)
Took me ages to figure out how to put together the prop thing! haha!!! As i had the hop-up part, i just kept confusing myself with which part is which part!

4_zpse5293866.jpg

Stage 4: (7:20pm)
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Trying to hold the motor plate and mount onto the motor to screw it in place was not easy, another thing to take me ages to get going! Got the prop shaft fitted with the joints, bearings etc and slotted into space.... At first, seemed to be some slack on the prop shaft, but had read that others found the prop shaft loose to start with.

5_zps6cbb293d.jpg

Stage 5: (8:45pm)
Built the Front and Rear Diffs, fitted to the chassis, then added the other bits/arms, etc. Reason this process took for ages is because i got to add the grease to the cogs and all the places it tells you to, DOH!!!!! So had to undo everything and start again after greasing the bits!!

6_zps186c3dc8.jpg

Stage 6: (9pm)
Motor fitted in easy peasy, although out of the 3 mini things you get to hold the pinion into the motor, i dropped 2 and could'nt/still cant find them!
Plate fitted as per instructions..

7_zps0d609205.jpg

Stage 7: (9:15pm)
All looking good so far i think, next part will be to tackle the Front Upright bits which makes me think a blast of coffee is needed here to steady the hands as the instructions make me think i need to have 4 hands!!
9_zps2bd7686b.jpg

------------

10_zps833c3dde.jpg

Stage 8: (10:50pm)
Front uprights fitted and screwed to the arms, etc..... All that time to do just the fronts...... Yup, you guessed it, forgot the grease again!! DOH! Undo it all again, add grease to the bones, bearings, etc and then refit, super finicky, didnt like doing this part! Real ballache!

11_zpsd221d40f.jpg

Stage 9: (11:20pm)
Rears complete, remembered the grease this time and found the rears easier to fit (as read on Quandrys thread)....
Although the rear right arm/upright didnt seem to fit right when pushing in the screw pin.... took some bodging which has resulted in the rear suspension not looking equal :(
12_zpsb0d4ea13.jpg

---------

13_zpscf6dcada.jpg

Stage 10: (11:50pm)
Shocks fitted and all other bits that go with it, but left screws lose, as forgot to buy damper oil for the shocks..... Built the tamiya ones, but the blue ones look better!

14_zpsa2eb35da.jpg

Stage 11: (3am)

3 hours straight of pulling my hair out wondering why bits dont fit, turns out i was connecting bits the wrong way round! DOH!!!! and forgeting more greaseing!! The bits to lock in the steering linkage seemed a right pain, but i put that down to me being a novice..
I screwed the steering bits really tight, so there is no 'play' at all in the linkages, not sure if they are supposed to be lose, am sure i will find out the hard way once powered up!
Confused myself lots over the servo and bits it uses, turns out you use the Tamiya bits and only the Servo, not ANY of the servo bits!
Think i am getting somewhere with it now, and it all looks like it is fitting into place!
15_zps9e2e7149.jpg

Stage 12: (3:44am)
Just fitted brake discs, motor cover and checked screw points.... Wife gets out of bed and comes storming into the office/stuies playroom ;) , get an earful so time to goto bed!

16_zpsf71960c0.jpg

Its now Friday, just gotta wait for the Absima TX/RX to turn up on Saturday, and hopefully my hong kong wheels and i should be cooking on gas, thats providing;

A: Once the Lipo battery is powered and plugged in, the car doesnt blow up cos i have done something wrong

B: Drive it straight into the Kerb or Wall!

C: Something else goes wrong! :D

Lovely jubbley! - Total spent including 2 shells = £327 (quite a few parts from HongKong as cheaper, and i'm a savvy shopper anyway! )
17_zpsaf52f2fb.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good so far mate, although you might want to be careful where you apply grease.

Greasing the standard plastic bushings are one thing, but the metal "ball race" bearings don't need grease, just a little light oil from time to time.

Grease, when used in exposed areas will attract grit and dirt and hey presto.....instant grinding paste, which will wear parts prematurely, leave the grease in the gearboxs where it belongs!

You could always fit a small o-ring in the cup of the out drive to prevent wear.

Just a little bit of advice...

Welcome to the club!

KingPin

Nice build thread matey.and you got some decent gear there for a first timer

Before you get to far you'll want to power up the electronics and center the steering servo and swap out the Tamiya aluminum pinion for a steel one..

I could'nt find a steel pinion for the TT02, and although i guess the TT02 is very similar to the TT01, wasnt sure whether to buy a TT01 steel pinion just in case it didnt fit....

I need to read the guide on how to centre the servo and program the china special ESC! :D should prove a nice headache for me!

cheers for the replies guys, didnt think about the grease and ball bearings, guess it makes sense now that the grease would collect dust! did wipe a lot off, at least i know now that if need be, i can spend 2 days taking it apart and re-building if need be (although dont fancy doing that! :D )

I could'nt find a steel pinion for the TT02, and although i guess the TT02 is very similar to the TT01, wasnt sure whether to buy a TT01 steel pinion just in case it didnt fit....

I need to read the guide on how to centre the servo and program the china special ESC! :D should prove a nice headache for me!

cheers for the replies guys, didnt think about the grease and ball bearings, guess it makes sense now that the grease would collect dust! did wipe a lot off, at least i know now that if need be, i can spend 2 days taking it apart and re-building if need be (although dont fancy doing that! :D )

Welcome ! Great thread so far.

The pinion will be the same for both, order it up :).

For the servo, detach or remove the servo horn, power up the radio (controller) and make sure your trims are all at neutral settings for the steering channel (channel 1).

This will have the servo centered. Then, re attach the servo horn, this will be centered. Minor adjustments to the trim may be required to the left or right to get it perfectly centered.

If your radio has EPA (end point adjustment) you will be able to adjust the distance the servo travels in each direction. If you hear the servo straining at the maximum turn of left or right it can be dialed back. Constant strain will wear it out. If it doesn't reach full turn in either direction it can be adjusted to have more.

If the servo turns the wheels in the opposite direction of your steering wheel, you turn the wheel left (or move the stick left) but they go right then you simply have to use the servo reverse switch (before any of the fine adjustments are done).

The esc same, make sure the radio is in neutral adjustments before programming Some escs require the EPA to be adjusted to full maximum (usually close to 120%) before programming. The manual will tel you.

Great job.

For the Merc Body, i have Gun Metal Grey instead of White, however, i have a PVC Nissan GT-R shell which i plan to use instead of the merc shell...... :)

I have my TX and RX now, Absima CR2S V2 Controller and a Absima R3FS receiver.... (no idea if this has EPA )

Think i made a booboo somewhere, as when i roll the front left wheel, it almost spins like it is buckled! no idea what i have done there, so might have to take it all apart and rebuild to see where i gone wrong ?!

Duly noted about the Servo Horn and ESC, i got the instructions for both, so plan on working on that tomorrow.. Looks like a right ballache if I do have to remove the Servo horn, as i would have to unscrew the servo itself!! oh well, live and learn! :D

I'll buy a Steel pinion for the TT01 and get that fitted too...

Cheers for the input guys

Well.....

I've gone wrong somewhere :(

Plugged in the battery yesterday, took the horn off the servo and got it centered...
Think i must have screwed the steering linkage arms too tight as it looked as though the servo struggled to turn left/right...

Undone screws a bit, turning is ok now as such....

2 issues (but could relate to each other)

Turn right and let go = goes back to centre

Turn left and let go = doesnt quite fully go back to centre :(

The other which is a major thing, if the wheels are turned right, the right side drive shaft locks up and wont turn... Well, it turns, but only turns around 330 degrees, wont complete a full turn....
I am well stuck with that, and cant think of a reason that would make it do that...

Would i have to take the front of the car back down to the start, check the front diff and rebuild again maybe ?

EPA (End Point Adjustment) will limit how far the servo travels in each direction, its possible there is too much travel to the right.

Does the servo sound like it is straining when you go full left or right ? It shouldn't.

That's a start anyway, not sure about the not returning to centre though.

How much difference is there between your centre-from-left and centre-from-right steering positions? Is it a big difference, or only a small one?

Due to normal slight friction and play in the steering linkages, it is rare that the steering will go back precisely to center when the car is at rest, unless you have a very high-end car with no slop, a powerful servo and a stiff servo saver. Usually there will be a slight difference between centre-from-left and centre-from-right positions. Don't worry though - when the car is running, the steering gets itself jiggled back to center well enough.

On the other hand, if there is a big difference, there might be a problem. Any chance of some photos to illustrate the issue? Pics would also help us to suggest solutions to the wheel rotation issue (which sounds like it could be linked to excessive servo travel).

Wow, we sure can use more Noobs at TC. You can tell your boss you already put in a productive full day work already.

Wow, we sure can use more Noobs at TC. You can tell your boss you already put in a productive full day work already.

Erm, that makes no sense in reflection to the thread, wrong post maybe ?????

I'll get some pics up later, will try a video shot too :)

I think it is very refreshing to read such a comprehensive build thread by somebody who is new to the R/C hobby. Especially since you point out all the things that are confusing. Keep up the good work, and I'm sure there'll always be help by the experienced modellers to solve any issues that might come in your way.

As soon as you've finished your car, you can be proud of it to have build it with your own hands.

• Like 2

Hey guys, sorry for not posting sooner, no pics either.....

I took apart from the front of the car, took the dogbones out, wiggled a few bits here and there, put it back together, all moving freely now :) :)

Next part, fire it up again and see how it rolls, and figure out how to cut out the reverse option :)

anyone know if the tt-01 and tt-02 share any parts?

Although very much influenced by the same design principles upon which the TT01 was based, the TT02 is an all-new design with all-new parts. There is very little compatibility between the two models.

I have read that the diffs, dogbones and axles are inter-changable, but that is pretty much it.

I wouldn't mind changing the diffs from plastic to something better on my TT-02, so open to ideas if you know of a different route to go...

already ordered the steel pinion thing :)

Morning all,

Well, bust already!!
Not sure what the problem is, but to start with, its daaaaam fast using that superstock motor! :D
Anyway, a good few blasts up and down the street, some powerslides, etc etc....

Couple of smacks into the curb (oops! :D )

Looking at the joint things in Stage9 up above (what the wheels link to for turning!, prop shafts ?)

The one has managed to bend, so wheel is super wonky!
Luckily, I still got the original Tamiya parts, but I am a bit shocked as to how that can bend ? could it have been from bashing the curb, or too much rotation too quickly has made it bend out of shape?!!! hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

most likely from the crash. I'm assuming your talking about the axel or dogbone/drive shaft. I had the same thing happen on my tt-01. I have universals now, not sure what the tt-02 has as standard. Get some pics up and we can get a better idea. Curb hits are never good but inevitable i'm afraid if your bashing kon the street which I also do.