StuartUK

TT02 Noob Build - By a Noob (#58586)

If the impact has made the wheel go wonky, it sounds like you bent an axle. This is very common with TT01/TT02 axles, as they are not particularly hard. It is especially common with aluminium hop-up ones such as you were running, as they are even softer than stock.

I would recommend either getting a good stock of spare axles, avoiding curbs, or upgrading to hardened steel universals.

Sorry for long delay in reply, only just now took the buckles off....

I'm thinking the combination of too much Torque and a few kerb bumps have done this, as i was only out for around 6 mins, and hit the kerb less than 5 times, and not hard either!
High speed into powerslides and fast spins, have glued the tires too, so i guess that puts more strain on the drive shafts/axles... As looks like all 4 are wonky! :(

Pic: Shaft on left is from Rear Right side, shaft on right is from Front Right side..... Parts are Jazrider for TT-02.... I'm putting the tamiya drive shafts back in, see how i get on...

drv_shf1_zpsb5735c61.jpg

Found another problem now :( not sure if any of you might have had the same ????

Fitted the standard drive alxes, took car out for a spin... makes some strange noises, eventually losing all power but can hear motor spinning..

Figured it would be the pinion, so ordered a hop-up hard coated pinion...

took casing and motor off, fitted new part (and noted the original pinion looked perfectly fine, no teeth missing), went out for a spin... same thing, makes struggling noise when car moves and then eventually no power, but motor spins...
Took casing off, had a closer look.........
Only thing i can think of, is the Spur Gear set wheel teeth has run down, as the 2 cogs dont sit close enough now :(
The teeth are still there as such, but can clearly be seen to be worn :(

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!
Guessing you cant get aluminion spur gears ? (to note, this pic is from my build, not how it looks now!)

4_zpse5293866.jpg

Hello and WELCOME !!!

What a great build thread you put together.....

It does seem like you have had a few issues with this chassis. I'm thinking of getting the Porsche 911 RSR which has the same chassis... I wasn't planning on spending what you did on aluminium hop-ups...

Hopefully you can resolve everything and get a fantastic runner..

You don't want any aluminium gears if you can get away with it. Plastic gears are very durable, more so than aluminium.

You need to check that you screwed the motor to the motor mount through the correct holes for the size pinion gear you are using to ensure the correct mesh between the pinion and spur gear. Incorrect gear mesh will cause premature wear.

- J

• Like 1

Sounds to me like maybe the pinion working loose on the motor shaft. Some people use a drop of removable thread lock on the grub screw to keep it from working loose. If you are using the standard alloy pinion, this should not be necessary. Steel pinion would be an advisable hop up any way. They last much, much longer. Thread lock more worthwhile when using steel screw in steel pinion in my experience.

The other thing and frankly more likely, it could be you may want to make sure you are using the correct holes in the motor mount for your chosen pinion/spur arrangement.

I had this exact problem with my Manta Ray because I had the motor mount up the wrong way (facepalm). It ran for a while, chewed out the gear then just span freely.

Is the spur you are using the same as the factory one? The numbers on the motor mount need to be adjusted if your spur is bigger or smaller than standard. Also I notice from the TT02 manual that the motor mount is reversible to give you even more pinion options, P19 of the instructions. Could it be you have used the wrong side?

I would go through it all again step by step to make sure.

It is a fantastic looking car, the TT02 chassis seems to be getting some nice looking bodies at the moment, the Porsche 934 I particularly like, finally Tamiya are making some Fuchs style wheels!

Look forward to hearing how you go, keep up the good work!

C..

Since you say the problem started after you fitted the standard drive axles, are you sure the fault doesn't lie there? Did you remember to put all of the drive pins back in before attaching the hexes and wheels? Trying to drive with missing drive pins would result in the behaviour you are describing...

Found another problem now :( not sure if any of you might have had the same ????

Fitted the standard drive alxes, took car out for a spin... makes some strange noises, eventually losing all power but can hear motor spinning..

Figured it would be the pinion, so ordered a hop-up hard coated pinion...

took casing and motor off, fitted new part (and noted the original pinion looked perfectly fine, no teeth missing), went out for a spin... same thing, makes struggling noise when car moves and then eventually no power, but motor spins...

Took casing off, had a closer look.........

Only thing i can think of, is the Spur Gear set wheel teeth has run down, as the 2 cogs dont sit close enough now :(

The teeth are still there as such, but can clearly be seen to be worn :(

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!

Guessing you cant get aluminion spur gears ? (to note, this pic is from my build, not how it looks now!)

4_zpse5293866.jpg

HPC gears (Google will find them) do plain steel 0.6 module gears in sizes from 10 teeth to 250. For example, a 55tooth gear will set you back £10.62 +VAT + postage. Teeth are 6mm wide, and the bore is 6mm (Which I suspect will be too large, but you might be able to sleeve it.) I've used their gears in some of my projects and they are very high quality. Failing that, RW racing can make gears to order in steel for very reasonable rates.

I also have the centre issue.

Using a servo that's rated at 4kg/.17sec I think. Centres when turning to right but to left it's maybe 2mm off or more (when car is on the ground, doesn't happen when raised).

Someone has suggested to use a better servo saver so I'm waiting for one. Also ordered a stronger servo for testing but can use this for a future buggy if problem persists. This is a pain as I started racing at a track and I easily see it veer at any straight.

Regarding the spinning issue... As above has mention, it's possibly a pin that has fallen out/loose. Also people tend not to tighten the grub screw for the pinion. I've never had to threadlock that pin as I feel that's a bit OTT.

I've used 16/17t AV pinions and there is some wear but not enough to stop me from racing. Used a 25t AV pinion... Sounds awesome, can't even full throttle in my street as it'll eat the kerb.

I wouldn't mind changing the diffs from plastic to something better on my TT-02, so open to ideas if you know of a different route to go...

already ordered the steel pinion thing :)

I think the gear diffs are fine. I've had several months of bashing on an off road track and have had no issues. Some people put aw grease at the front for on road which I hope to test this later...

I actually found the chassis/drive train more durable than I expected