speedy_w_beans

Tamiya 2.4 GHz Attack Radio for Tanks, Semis, and High-Lifts

Posted in the Tamiya USA coming soon section:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/coming-soon/radio-control-kits-30/radio-control-electronics-28000/attack-2-4-ghz-radio-system-7255252

I remember older threads on this forum where people were having problems with 2.4 GHz radios, digital trims, and MFUs. The main solution was using an older 4-channel analog radio system. This looks like Tamiya's answer to providing a modern transmitter while still maintaining analog trims.

The key bullet point that caught my eye was: "Compatible with Tamiya 1/16 Tanks, 1/14 Semi-trucks and 3-Speed trucks (with or without Multifunction Units)"

Great find... no doubt a re-badged Futaba, but for those of us who prefer two-stick transmitters, an intriguing option. Tamiya doesn't import any of their wheel/trigger Adspec/Expec/whatever systems into the US, so it's interesting to see this show up on TamiyaUSA.

Of course it will probably be prohibitively expensive, and who knows what separate receivers will cost, or if they'll even be available? I have just settled on a mix of premium and bargain electronics for my cars: Tamiya 105 ESCs, because they have LiFE cutoff (which I run) and BEC, and are available for about US$25 on eBay. These are paired with the bargain-basement HobbyKing two-stick 2.4ghz setup, because the transmitter is under US$30 and more receivers are under US$6 each (!).

From this picture it seems you'll be able to use either 4 AA batteries or hook up a rechargeable pack:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/images/product/490/7255252/gallery_14.jpg

It is a rebranded Futaba FHSS 2.4ghz TX and RX combo. You should be able to use Futaba FHSS RX`s with the TX.

Take a look at the following page from Futaba,

http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wgainf100p.pgm?I=FUTL7604'>http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wgainf100p.pgm?I=FUTL7604

This is the RX that comes with the Tamiya combo, albeit the Tamiya is a R204GF-T (T probably means Tamiya)

I run a Futaba 4PL with various Futaba S-FHSS and FHSS RX`s with no problems.

Yeah just a rebadged Futaba. I am running one of these in my tank, and have ran it in my MAN TGX, (DMD and MFC units) I got one of the first batches which had a faulty receiver but Futaba Japan replaced it quickly and sent it along with a bunch of stickers.

I love this radio the and I am waiting for Stellamodels to get more in stock so I can replace the two 27AM 4VWD units in my tractor trucks.

The range is far superior (havent found a limit or had it glitch yet), the receiver has no unsightly antenna (bonus!) The trims have a larger ratchet divet in the centres so it is easy to locate the trims back to neutral. And only 4x AA'S.

About the only thing negative I could honestly comment on is, it aint as pretty as previous Futaba 4 ch radios. A moot point at best :)

Oh just FYI I am not sure about the Tamiya version but the Futaba doesnt come with servos.

Highly recommended! But can you wait until I buy my other two first? Hehe :P

Tamiya servos are rebadged Futaba servos, too.

Most if not all electronics are made by Futaba directly for, or rebadged for Tamiya I believe. DMD's, MFU's, ESC's Tx/Rx's etc (Obviously motors are outsources to other companies like Mabuchi Johnson etc).

Tamiya and Futaba have had a long standing relationship for decades, two of my favorite companies in RC :)

Just out of interest and on a side note not only do Futaba supply Tamiya's electronics but back in the 80's ( I belief ) , Futaba sold the FX10 buggy > in all respects a Rebranded Tamiya Striker ?

• Like 1