Sign in to follow this  
J3cubfan

Restoration questions

Has anyone ever used brake fluid to strip paint from a NON-Lexan body? If so, has anyone ever used it on clear plastic(ie the windshield)?

The reason why I am asking is because I received my SS Body from Canada and upon further inspection, it paint appears to have been applied with a paint brush (Ouch)icon_smile_blackeye.gif. The only good thing about this is the under the paint, the body is flawless and the paint seems to peel away in most instances.

However, the windshield appears to have been epoxied in place. I can not think of any way to separate the windshield from the body without causing harm to the windshield or body. Any help would be appreciated.

John

The windshield should come out in one peice. What you need to do is slowely pry at it. Maybe a butter nife would help. The epoxy should start to let go. Also you could try putting the body in some hot water and see if that forces the windshield to let go.

-------------------------

I am so smart, I am so smart! S-M-R-T..I mean S-M-A-R-T!!

Epoxy doesn't etch into the plastic, so its fine to try pry it apart. Make sure its not Airfix glue though, this welds plastic together.

Paint can be stripped off clear (non-lexan) plastic parts with EzyOff. Stripped a Mounty body with it complete with the rear window still attached - its glued on.

On the subject of Brake Fluids...

There seems to be several types too... and I mean just the Dot 3/4 types. Have seen stuff that is Blue, then Green and the Heavy Duty stuff I now buy for our 1:1 cars is a near-colourless pale yellow.

Fresh brake fluid sometimes smells as though there's some alcohol or solvents in it... first time I've used fresh stuff for stripping it softened some Tamiya plastic (enough to leave fingerprints in the plastic).

These days just keep a bottle of the used stuff for stripping... give the fresh fluid to your 1:1 car. Do a system flush every year and keep your wife/kids/family safer on the roads. The used stuff seems to work just as well for stripping paint.

1 year is a bit exaggerated, most car manufacturers recommend 2, the problem is if you dont do it on your own, would the service shop give you the old BF? Don't think so, especially in enviroment-"crazy" countries like in north Europe...

tttlogo.gif

http://www.vintagetamiyarc.com/

Dunno... I suspect they actually have to *pay* to dispose of the used stuff so they might actually be pleased to give you a few gallons. Yeah, its an oily substance that'll probably contaminate groundwater.

Unless of course by law they have to pump everything into a secure tank that cannot be easily accessed... but unlikely.

I would hesitate to use any used Brake fluid that came from my car. If you have ever done brakes, you will know that the stuff that comes out after you flush you brake system is very nasty. I would never risk a vintage body in that stuff. Honestly I have never had any real luck using brake fluid. I prefer to go the easy of route.

logo_member2.gif