Pintopower

Hornet Rear Shock Rebuilding - How?

So I don't know if I am a complete idiot or what, but I cant seem to figure out how to rebuild the rear shocks on my Hornet. Seems to me, you cant. In fact, the illustration of the hornet rear shock in the Hornet manual shows that the brass plug at the base is captured (pressed in) and cannot be removed. I have looked for a thread in here about this but cannot seem to find one which surprises me. Any guidance would be great. Thanks!

From memmory the shocks can be rebuilt, sure the brass plug is held in with e clips. Will have a look at my spare ones later.

You think you can point the bit you mention, pal?

photo1_zpsba77cfce.jpg

By the way, have you found a used body for your Hornet, yet?

This is the image I foun. Oh and for the used body, no I havent found any but I want some.

post-26936-0-87552600-1388972600_thumb.j

its pressed in have a look at this build threat

Yes it's a compression fit, you are not supposed to be able to remove it. I am assuming you are referring to the brass plug arrowed on NITO's photo?

misc_02.jpg

That is correct wood5tock. I am then going to assume you cannot rebuild these shocks. My only thought is to try to pull an o-ring out the hole where the shaft belongs and try to push a new one in through it. Sounds like a task thats easier said than done.

I take it damper oil is getting past? Or did it show signs of being wet and you assumed that to be the case. The only reason i ask is if the o-rings have dried a little you might be able to revive them by soaking in new oil for a while and see if that makes a difference before passing the point of no return. Having said looking at the diagram it might not be as hard as it seems with a hook and pick set like this

post02.jpg

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother trying to replace those seals, too hard.

Either degrease them with motorspray then soak in silicone oil for some days (makes rubber swell up)

or use thicker oil.... 60wt Diesel engine oil, 90wt lorry diff oil etc

I did it on my vintage Hot Shot Mk1. I forced out the brass plug and changed the two O-rings inside the damper cylinders.

Then I closed everything simply putting the brass plug inside in place and closing the lip of the cylinder.

I did it pressing the bottom of the cylinder with my hands on a flat hard surface and rotating it.

You don't see anything at the end. I made a perfect job.

Max

Yes it's a compression fit, you are not supposed to be able to remove it. I am assuming you are referring to the brass plug arrowed on NITO's photo?

misc_02.jpg

I used a piece of 3 mm diameter steel wire. I could use the damper shaft but I will ruin it for sure.

So I used this piece of steel wire, 5 mm inside the brass plug and I did rotate it making the brass plug rotate all together with the steel wire. In this way the brass plug itself opened the lip of the damper cylinder.

Yes, it seems a carnage, just for strong stomachs, but I did it and worked. Then I replaced the worn black hard rubber o-rings with new modern silicon ones. I don't remember if I replaced the brass plug also or/and replaced the spacer inside between the o-rings.

Knowing myself I would say yes, I replaced them.

Max

• Like 1

Kontemax,

Thank you. I will give that a shot. Where did you get a replacement brass plug? Also, im sure the base of the shock body where the plug was pressed was slightly enlarged after it was removed. How was that fixed or was that not an issue?

Thanks

You guys do know that re-re Hornet shocks are 10$ a pair right? I'm all for rebuilding and saving some $$$, but this just seems like a whole lot of trouble to save 10$, just my 2 cents....

• Like 1

You guys do know that re-re Hornet shocks are 10$ a pair right? I'm all for rebuilding and saving some $$$, but this just seems like a whole lot of trouble to save 10$, just my 2 cents....

Actually, the damper housings are 5,65 euro per pair. Not worth the hassle. And if you really want original dampers, i still have a pair in quite good shape. I exchanged them with the You-G upgrades soon after i had bought mine.

IMG-20130803-00647.jpg

IMG-20130803-00645.jpg

Think you need a new pair of rear tyres there fella! ;)

Yes sir, they are on my long list of RC items to buy. Just for the record, these are the original ones that came with the kit when i bought it in '86. I drove mainly with Brat tires in the rear.

As I said in my previous post:

"I did it on my vintage Hot Shot Mk1. I forced out the brass plug and changed the two O-rings inside the damper cylinders.

Then I closed everything simply putting the brass plug inside in place and closing the lip of the cylinder.

I did it pressing the bottom of the cylinder with my hands on a flat hard surface and rotating it.

You don't see anything at the end. I made a perfect job."

Hope this helps.

Max

Kontemax,

Thank you. I will give that a shot. Where did you get a replacement brass plug? Also, im sure the base of the shock body where the plug was pressed was slightly enlarged after it was removed. How was that fixed or was that not an issue?

Thanks

We do these things because we are modellers and we just like to do these things, money doesn't matter.

Max

• Like 1

Old thread resurrection just to say thank you @kontemax: I slaughtered my Hornet's dampers the way you showed us here, and it worked a charm. Now my O rings are finally replaced and it wasn't such a carnage after all 👍

• Like 2