geopaj

Vintage Dash controller/receiver with modern brushed ESC ?

I am restoring an old Tamiya Fox with an original Dash controller/receiver (picture attached). If it matters, it appears to be a non-BEC unit and is set up with 4 AA batteries where the driver used to 'sit' (this was common where I raced).

The Fox will be a copy of the one I had as a child and raced in various clubs in Adelaide (Australia) and will be a runner, not shelf queen.

I have been out of the RC community for nearly 20 years. (man, a lot has changed!)

The speed control servo is dead so, after reading many posts on TC,I thought I'd replace the MSC with a ESC (the MSC will be stored for safe keeping).

I know nothing about ESC's but bought the ESC in the link below on advice of someone I met who races vintage RC here in Adelaide.

I have swapped the ESC's red & black wires in the connector to suit the old Dash but the ESC still does not work.

When the ESC is turned on the motor immediately runs and does not stop (controller in neutral possition). If I attempt the accelerate or reverse it stops completely and will not respond at all (until the battery is disconnected and then the motor immediately runs again).

Is my controller compatible with ESC's?

Is the ESC faulty or have I purchased the wrong one?

Thank you

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251401966435?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

post-42113-0-64759500-1389003065_thumb.j

I should have added, I am planning to just run a Nimh battery and the original can motor (or maybe a Tamiya Torque Tuned or Stort Tuned motor?)

Are you sure the MSC's servo is dead... Perhaps it's the whole channel!

Plug in working servo into CH2 to check.

ESCs need to be setup/programmed to the radio's signal, check your ESC manual.

Those old DASH RXs can get water damaged too, TX ain't good with moisture either.

Worst in radio gear that's been sitting in a damp shed or garage for 20yrs.

I should have added, I am planning to just run a Nimh battery and the original can motor (or maybe a Tamiya Torque Tuned or Stort Tuned motor?)

WillyChang,

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked the throttle channel using the steering servo - the channel appears to be working fine (however the steering servo's neutral posittion is in a slightly different posission when plugged into the throttle channel).

When the throttle servo is plugged into the steering channel, the throttle servo still does not work.

I was wondering if my analog system may not be comparable with modern servos?

nah, the pulse-edge signal to drive a servo with neutral at 1.5ms has been around for time immemorial.

The only thing to watch for is the polarity of the wires, red +ve black -ve and signal usually blue or white.

JR is one of the PITA ones who choose earth tones brown/orange/etc or double black aaaarrrggghhh!

Old analog transmitters have a lot of slop though (eg neutral & throw inconsistencies)

Good thing with ESCs is that they don't (ever?) fail to a state of leaving the motor running.

They need to be receiving some sort of signal from RX before motor runs.

Occasionally some ESCs only like to be programmed in 1 direction.

Try redoing setup with the servo reversing switch flicked.

(Or if you don't have one, try left stick 'down' for forwards)

However it is not uncommon for some modern ESCs to refuse to store a program "outside" their expected servo throw,

this can happen with old sets (factory set to 100%) when newer sets might only use 50-70%.

So try to redo setup moving the stick not full throw up/down... add some stop chocks.

Some TXs also have neutral point switch between "nitro" 70:30 vs "electric reversing" of 50:50.

I just noticed you had a eBay link posted up, to a Venom VSC320A - I assume this is what you bought.

Venom's stuff should be functional, you get what you pay for but they aren't usually the cheapest possible option.

Their electronics gear is often rebadge of some existing yumcha unit though; QC may or may not be lacking.

Nothing against trying ESC plug into CH1 slot either, for testing sake.

WillyChang,

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me!

Yeah, I bought the Venom ESC.

I have tried the ESC in the steering channel but I get the same fault.

Looks like I got a dodgy ESC...

I just didn't want to get a replacement if my old radio gear is not comparable with a modern ESC.

Well... I took my TX, RX and motor/diff assembly to my LHS (Hobby Habit in Adelaide) with the hope of buying an another ESC.

They were unable to get ESC to work with my radio set. Apparently it needs a reversing switch but mine does not have one.

No ESC for me :(

I do have some good news however... I have stripped down my MSC's servo, cleaned and retuned the gears and it is working perfectly!

Looks like I'll be running a complete vintage setup! ;)

Reversing switch for throttle? How about just swapping motor connectors?

Reversing switch for throttle? How about just swapping motor connectors?

Tried swapping the motor connectors but then I was only getting about 70% power going forward and 100% in going backwards and with the brake function it was a complete pain (because the brake was operating in the forward direction)

Thanks for the immediate reply. Well, in that case it's good to hear your old MSC is still working fine after cleaning. :)