bromvw

On Road Lunchbox

Ok guys I need some advice please . I have a idea to build the Ambulance from the film Cannonball Run . The LB body is the obvious choice and a easy job with the decals being readily available as are lights / sirens . The question is what on road chassis to use ?

Any Thoughts ?

• Like 1

That's a cool idea!

Isn't the lunchbox wheelbase around 210mm? - would an [adjustable] M chassis work?

Subscribed!

Jx

Looks like M05 is the prime candidate, reckon this would be awesome, you gonna use Jeremy's sticker kit?

• Like 1

I've had success modding the m-03 or more precisely the ff-02 chassis by making up a new centre extension before. I was actually making a twin motor chassis by bolting two front ends together but was the same idea. I think i used a couple of l shaped plastic servo mounts an there were screw holes in just the right place. It's back to stock now so can't remember exactly. You could always reinvent the lunch box chassis, I had mine running TC wheels at one point when I wanted to use the VLB wheels in another project. It went surprisingly well considering but probably not the ideal solution.

Yes Steve - Jeremy's finest would go on this . The sunroof needs filling but I dint see that as a issue . Finding good looking wheels might be though .

EDIT the 18 spoke rims from the Fiat 500 kit look very close to the look of the ones fitted to the Film van .

what about making your own " ladder frame chassis " ? either by utilising the rails from a tamiya commercial vehicle , or by buying suitable lenghts of alloy from the likes of B& Q . i know some of the parts can be a little pricey , but you can have leaf sprung axles too which wil be more in keeping with what your trying to create !

Jon I could make a chassis but being honest I don't want to have to faff about too much . I'd much prefer to keep it simple and fairly low cost so I can actually run it without being too bothered if I damage it . Ease and price of replacement parts will be a factor so a readily available chassis is a better idea .

Oggy its those stickers that gt the idea kicking about in my head ;)

This could well be my next project - just need to find a MO5 at a decent price .

It looks as though a LB fits quite well on the M0-5 Sayer . - runs well too . If I can narrow the track a little it will look fairly scale . The Fiat 500 wheels are very close to the ones used on the Film van in terms of appearance but i'am not sure if they have the correct off set. Might be fun to drop in a brushless and go a bit nuts - Cannonball Style :lol:

• Like 1

Dare i say this on a Tamiya site...but Mardave bits are cheap, readily available, and tough. FRP chassis plate so you can cut it to whatever length/width/shape you want.

Have a look at parts on ebay.

HPI vintage wheels would look good, such a shame Tamiya didn't make a 1/10 Lunchbox body, imagine it on a Clod chassis! I'd be doing a Rolling Thunder replica straight away!

That's actually not a bad idea - using Mardave parts . I wonder how well it would handle though ?

I miss my Mardave V-Dub :( If you're only planning to run it on hard, flat surfaces it should handle pretty well.

Why oh why did you show me this... I am going to have to make one now.. :D

If you're going to do the cannonball ambulance it's going to have to be fast, you needed something to put the brushless out of the truck in ;)

To pull this off it will need sirens and lights - lots of lights :lol:. ' Him ' driving would also be cool :lol: