Vrdetailing

First truck advice

I have made around 16 tamiya models over the past two years and been loving it.

I have decided to purchase my first tractor truck ( Ford Aeromax) form Banzai Hobbies

it's my first time using them.

I am unsure on colour yet but thinking burgundy or flip gold.

I an not going for realism or scale operation but a bit of different fun on the Tarmac

Question 1 has anyone used one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT-POWER-RC-Car-LED-Lighting-System-2-0-1-10-Drift-On-Road-Yokomo-Tamiya-/121178569413?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item1c36ce3ac5

Question 2 has anyone run a brushless system in there tractor truck

Any other advice is much appreciated

I will of corse do a build thread when it turns up

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I've built up 2 tractor trucks and 2 trailers. There are build threads in this forum.

For your questions,

1- I have not used that exact lighting set, but you can pretty much put whatever you want in these trucks. Plenty of room for lights, and such. The Tamiya MFC01 unit is pretty complex, and takes up a lot of room, but you get sounds and more functionality.

2- I can't think of any reason to put a brushless system in these. With the 3 speeds, they're plenty fast as is with stock motor. Most people put higher turn motors in for slower speed. I used t a 55T motor. Even then, they can really get rolling in 3rd gear. If you put a Sport Tuned motor in, I'm pretty sure you'd end up flipping it on it's side. They're not the most stable things!

These truck builds are great fun, and even if you're not going scale, they're still totally customizable.

Check out my build threads for more detailed information on what you can do with them.

Cheers,

Skottoman

SCANIA 470 - http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67179

KNIGHT HAULER - http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65133

REEFER TRAILER - http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67409

FLATBED TRAILER - http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65751

Thanks ... Will look at the threads... I can tune the brushless down with throttle curves on my dx6i and it will be waterproof but as you say sounds like overkill..

I had a spare 105 esc I was coming to use on the truck but plunged my street rover into a puddle on its first outing and fried it.. So needed to use my spare up.

I have a 3000kv waterproof system on order I thought of putting in the truck.. It's a shame the trucks comes without an esc...

I may put the brushless in another vehicle and use it's esc in the truck...

Hmm I hate so many choices lol but if the truck can't handle brushless then it would be a waste

you could use brushless if you were to gear it down with a RC4WD reduction unit . Great quality items that would slow it down nicely IMO .

When I had a King Hauler I tried it with the standard motor and a larger pinion fitted (Can't remember what it was, something around 15-18teeth), and yup, I flipped it over. The gearbox and transmission will handle more power, it's just a question of whether or not you can keep the wheels on the ground.

The gearbox that comes in the truck is quite tough, even though it doesn't look it on paper.

Here's a link to a 6x6 truck I built last year, it has a standard King Hauler gearbox, but is running on a 9.6V battery. All I had to do was use a high torque servo to stop it popping out of top gear under full throttle. I handles the extra power of the 9.6 no problem, as well as the larger gear ratio induced by using 1/10 wheels and tyres on it. The model is also considerably heavier than a normal 1/14 truck. There's some links to videos of it running in there somewhere.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67794

I keep trying to persuade myself to buy another rig, but am put off by the fact you need smooth tarmac to run them on, and the slightest bumps caused my king hauler to scrape the number plates on the front bumper on the floor.

Using the dx6i on heli mode you can put in a throttle curve to tame the motor as much as you want ... Hmm what to do... Motor... Colour... Light kit... Can't wait for it to all turn up... I want a bling bling truck that's as fast as I dare

You could use a crawler brushless system I think ?

http://teamnovak.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_78&products_id=433

Be sure to get a Futaba 4 Channel Radio. They now have a new 2.4 ghz version of the recommended radio:

http://www.stellamodels.com.hk/futaba-4ywd-24ghz-attack-txrx-p-7604.html

Also, full ball bearing set !

IMO you have to get the MFC. Running without it is just boring. Running one with it is hours of fun. Sometimes I just let it sit there and idle just because it's so cool.

As others have said, the truck is plenty fast with just the stock motor. Here are some pics of mine

King Hauler with pole Trailer

122904017.jpg

Globeliner with Box trailer

img34_22072005032109_4.jpg

Knight hauler with Tanker trailer

051605001.jpg

• Like 1

I think the mfu is very expensive and I am on a bit of a budget with this one.

I am not really into the pretend to be a truck driver.. More a basher/car park racer

I love the building and looks the most

They are not for bashing or carpark racing. I honestly think they are far too fast with a stock motor tapped out in 3rd, they do about 20kph and they are very easy to roll if you turn even moderately. Ive had mine up on its rhs wheels before and it's a pretty scary experience! I too would recommend a 45-55 turn motor and save for a MFC-01 (or servonaut if you are feeling adventurous and hate money) as the trucks really are mediocre at best without them.

From a build perspective, there is nothing like the trucks :)

20130501_095702_zps4fc97fb1.jpg

20130629_132432_zpsfdcvn4uq.jpg

Maybe the truck was not for me... We will see..

I thought about putting a small

Bluetooth speaker in it maybe and have it play music from my iphone

Still it may be cool to be the first to have a brushless truck

Maybe I am missing the point a bit...

Maybe the truck was not for me... We will see..

I thought about putting a small

Bluetooth speaker in it maybe and have it play music from my iphone

Still it may be cool to be the first to have a brushless truck

Maybe I am missing the point a bit...

Bearing in mind everything said above is true if you're being sensible....

Nothing wrong with trying to go fast with it, you just have to remember to drop it down a gear before trying to corner and remember the scale speed. I get tons of fun out my 6x6 without having any sort of MFU in it (although most of that is off road), I think it sounds rather good at speed on the road just going up and down through the gears on the videos, especially the motor whine going down through the gears. Enjoy....

Why not be a first and actually build a Racing Truck ? Maybe the best of both worlds .

A racing truck could be fun.. Maybe some sort of removable outrigger or stabaliser to stop it flipping over.

I have lots of ideas but most of them unconventional lol.

My Bulhead has a front and rear wheelie bar.

i am sure it will have lots of LED's as i love them.

Secret might be to keep the weight as low as possible - adding the MFC won't help the cornering. Adding some car balancing weights to the base of the chassis could also be beneficial, but ultimately the track width isn't conducive with speed.

Before you shell out on brushless I'd suggest you try the stock motor - its too fast for most people, might be just what you want.

Why not be a first and actually build a Racing Truck ? Maybe the best of both worlds .

As the Tamiya Tractor Truck series has been on the market for 21 years, it would hardly be the first. A TC-member (forgot who) has a Globe Liner with stadium truck wheels with TR-15T tires and several other "race" mods. The model was originally built and modified by a friend of mine and Tamiya distributor employee in 1994/1995. And of course it's not the only one. Just one of multiple examples:

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=7752

And I agree with Shodog and others here; without the MFC01 or other sound/light unit, the trucks are a lot less fun. Honestly, I don't think one of these models ("tractor truck" with or without trailer) can be done on a tight budget without ending up with an unsatisfactory compromise as the result. Sure, a lot can be achieved with the creativity and skills to improvise, but even so, it's not going to be cheap.

Jeez well pardon me for living ! Must be nice to be a know it all . How do you manage to get caps to fit your head ?

And what is this supposed to mean?

You used the phrase "a first" and I just pointed out that it has already been done and provided a couple of examples. Logical after the series' 21 years on the market, btw. I have never pretended to "know it all" and will never do, and know perfectly well that there is an infinite amount of information about Tamiya available (as for any other topic), which means that I (like most Tamiya enthusiasts) know just a tiny bit of "it all" even after a couple of decades in the hobby.

There is no need to be hostile and rude, and as a matter of fact it's against the forum rules.

Lol... Don't worry boys my truck will be a one of a kind lol..

Keep the comments coming as im taking it all in.

I was going stock until i fried my spare ESC..

The Brushless system i use in 4 of my tamiya cars of varying kv rating.

I have a 3000KV on order from HK already.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__41129__Turnigy_TrackStar_Waterproof_1_10_Brushless_Power_System_3000KV_80A_UK_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=3000kv wa

Still looking to see if i want indicator / Brake ect functionality with the GT power KIt.

And still fancy a bluetooth speaker... Could do truck sounds or play metal whilst I Play

I am sure I will also over do the LED's as I love them

Not seen a flip flop colour truck yet or Brushless on my searches so any links/Pics appreciated..

I also fancy a sticker for the back of the truck..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LETHAL-THREAT-Motorcycle-Scooter-Bike-Board-Decal-Helmet-Mini-Sticker-RC00027-/221143968475?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item337d352adb

Could someone measure it for me on the aeromax.

:) and Play Nicely :wub:

Are you planning 2S or 3 for the brushless system ? ;)

Don't forget you will definetly need a high torque servo for this if you want it to hold top gear with that motor in.

• Like 1