bromvw

A Hybrid Scorcher

Thanks Jenny . Now all I need to figure out is how to combine your spare wheel mod with the Lights Pod ;)

• Like 1

Bah!! all you old fogies with your Turkish delight tinted spectacles on, banging on about sand scorchers and the 70's, :P:D

What you want is a monster beetle on a farm king chassis :D :D :D For the 80's kids (The hip crowd :lol:)

Spooky!

You don't know how close you are to the truth there...

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=72064

Jx

• Like 1

How about considering the M04 more closely? With its direct compatibility with TL01 suspension arms, setting the width isn't hard. Wheelbase is easily adjusted with spacers. WR02 front hub adapters can be fitted, allowing the use of a bearing-in-wheel setup at the front. The gearbox is well-sealed against dirt. The mid-rear motor location and low shock towers give a lot of freedom for body mounting and trimming choices, and the inclusion of a dummy scale engine if you wish. Plus, it handles well off-road. I used one for my Minimutt project, which handles the rough stuff brilliantly!

• Like 1

Progress - Looks like I have a runner Frog ( deal pending ) . All I need now is a NIP Scorcher body kit and its game on :D

EDIT - might use a Kamtec Beetle body as I prefer the split rear window .

• Like 1

Runner Frog on its way from Percymon - Cheers David :D

I also have a feeler out for a Kamtec body - just waiting on a reply .

EDIT - Body on its way from SRB Bloke - Cheers Steve . :D

• Like 1

Quick question . There are three pinion options for the Frog ? If I fit a sport tuned motor what pinion is the best to use ? This will mostly be a beach runner so I guess acceleration / torque is more important than top speed ? Not sure if it will make any difference but I intend to fit Rough Rider size wheels that are slightly larger than the stock Frog ones in order to increase the ground clearance . Do I need to factor that in when selecting the pinion ?

As far as I know, putting on bigger wheels is the same as changing to a larger pinion, (slower acceleration, higher top speed)

I don't understand it all myself, what confuses me, (lots of things :lol:) is when upgrading the motor, the smaller pinion is recommended, but surely this will give a similar result to a slower motor and larger pinion?.

E2A: I am probably totally off, but I am keen to learn more about gear ratios.

Arron - I have a suspicion that 'my' gearbox has a Blackfoot counter gear in it, in which case it's torque geared (52t counter one piece plastic with idler gear, rather than separate alloy idler of the Frog). It already has the rough rider tyres (same as brat). I suggest you see how it goes , presumably on 2s , and judge whether you want to go sport or torque tuned or stay silver can.

I'm sending you the Frog counter gears too, but you'll need the separate alloy idler gear 3545005 if you want to employ those options.

Sounds like it will be ok David . If I go to the sport tuned i'lll just give it a go firstly and see how it runs . If needs be i'll change the pinion at get a little more acceleration . These alloy Rough Rider wheels from my parts stash are so nice that they deserve a home though . If I go back to a Frog set up that's no problem as the 3545005 parts are easy to obtain .

My hope is to not get too carried away and to keep this a low cost fun project - famous last words :lol:

Whenever you might want to get rid of that Blackfoot counter gear, feel free to contact me. :)

With my recent builds I have tried to give them a theme . The 4X4X4 Blackfoot is Hawaiian Tropic livery . My Jeep is done as a Golden Eagle spec .

I need ideas for the Baja Frog . Two thoughts are a Budweiser theme or a Budget Bug but only because I can get the decals easily . Boxart is out of the question as that's being done to death IMO . Any other original ideas guys ?

In the spirit of this low cost build I can't help thinking that Budget Bug is very appropriate though :wub:

Luftwaffe mottled grey with a bright yellow nose a-la ME109? :)

I'm always partial to a rusty bug. Whatever you choose please don't got all Herbie :(

• Like 1

Rat mobile ? - oh sorry, thats the shell i'm already sending with the chassis :P

Ever had a sudden flash of inspiration ? I was thinking about how to make a roof air scope . Then it came to me . I have a badly mashed up Blitzer shell . Cut a section out of the roof and it will follow the same contours as the original >giving the making's of one perfectly shaped scope .

Kamtec shell arrived this morning :D. Cheers Rob . Nicely cut out and well packaged . Gotta love the rear split screen Beetles

I've being studying this shell and wondering about doing something just that bit different with the lights . Inspired by SRB Blokes light pod idea but not wanting to do a copy how about grafting a 037 Lancia 4 light pod onto the nose ? Opinions welcome .

How about working front lights in the nosecone of the lexan shell? This might be easy to do with off-the-shelf light buckets from Ansmann, just cut the grill away if necessary.

Greg I'm going to use the lexan shell from Percymon ( David ) as my usual runner body and leave it as is for now . The Kamtec body will be mostly for show but I will use it when we're at the beach . It's the Kamtec ABS version and I really want to modify it just to create ' something different ' . The Lancia 037 light pod just seems like a logical choice with it being so easy to fit LED's to . .

Just returned to the fold having been out of modelling last few years due to kids, house etc etc...

Here's a street scorcher I built. It's still not quite finished, but once I get my workshop up and running in a few months time, its first on the hit list to be completed.

If you want a FAST scorcher, this is the way to go. This thing goes like grease lightning......but only on tarmac...

It's pretty hybrid for sure.

Cheers

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=105908&sid=25373

Seems like I mistook the Kamtec body for a lexan one, my bad. :)