Rabiedmushroom

ESC options for fast twin battery Clod

It's time to re commission my Clod based GMade chassis monster, after gathering dust for several years. Ok oops I admit I blew the ESC up, and because it was a jolly expensive Novak Super Duty it was kinda pushed to one side. Ah, now a problem, they don't appear to be sold anymore, I'm gutted.

Spec is 2 x 7.2 Nimh batteries and 2 x Tamiya Superstock TZ 23turn motors. Slow she ain't! Lemming once hosted a legendary video of her in action. The ESC I had was perfect because it had the right wiring for 2 x input and 2 x output.

Help! What is a modern ESC alternative please? I can't see anything suitable by Tamiya or Novak.

The only other one I know of is the Mtroniks Super E Truck which isn't made anymore but here is some info on it: http://www.clodparts.com/products/esc/12.html maybe you can find one on eBay?

You could also consider running 2 ESCs though as this is just as doable, you could even switch to Brushless power but this would mean a whole new setup is probably not the cheapest option.

Traxxas EVX is twin motor and batteries ESC . High volt BEC and lipo compatable right out of the box.

Traxxas evx is a winner no lipo cut offs though. I run mine on 5s and a dewalt 820 hammer drill motor. Doesn't even struggle. The evx 2 is waterproof to boot

Traxxas evx is a winner no lipo cut offs though. I run mine on 5s and a dewalt 820 hammer drill motor. Doesn't even struggle. The evx 2 is waterproof to boot

Traxxas says the EVX2 has 2 stage low voltage detection for LIPO use. I don't think the first version did.

Well the old Novak cost about £140 so realistically I was expecting to pay similar again if not more. I'd rather not go Lipo cus that's a complete change of batteries and chargers. But I'd be happy to swap to a brushless setup and ESC. Trouble is I believe most crawlers designed for slow lumbering climbs and I was hoping to keep a more 'lively' setup to bounce from puddle to muddy rut. At least a GMade chassis with Clod parts will take just about anything you throw at it, but their Dragoon is heavier than a standard Clobuster so I like the power from a twin x battery setup :)

Hey I like the look of the EVX, and it's nearly half the price of what the Novak was!

I presume I can lop off the Traxxas connectors and pop on standard Tamiya type.

Thanks guys

You might have a look at Ebay UK. Sometimes there are some real bargains out there.

2 x 23T motors could be run from a single 11T capable ESC - you would need some Y wires to split each motor cable into two and you'd obviously need to connect the opposite tags on one motor.

SteveU30 did this on his Twin Detonator..

3A28C6EA-2AF4-4E54-A7DD-FC51390BA607-765

A waterproof mtroniks/modelsport ESC of 11T or no limits should be available for under £35. Just make sure you get one with reverse function as a lot at lower turn ratings are forward only.

I did the above briefly with a forward only and 2 17t motors in my wild dagger. It was abit silly so slowed it back down again on silver cans lol.

David that's exactly how I wired my Twin Det / 4x4x4 Blackfoot . Works perfectly well although I soldered up a wiring loom rather than use bullet connectors

I started on my own loom last night,m then when looking in the spares box for heatshrink tubing i found an as new TEU-103 :lol:

At least it saved me hitting the checkout button on a modelsport ESC ;)

funny you should say that . yesterday I found a set of 4 dogbones that are a perfect fit on a thunder Tiger I got FOC , in my scrap / junk box :D

Personally, I would use twin ESC`s. As it would remove the dreaded "Clod stall"

I use the Super Truck and a pair of 21t Titans (1 forward and 1 reverse rotation) on my Clodzilla 2, used to use 2 Nimh batts but now run it on either 3 or 4s Lipo, goes like the clappers.

A lot of guys over on ClodTalk use the Traxxas EVX2 or the Traxxas XL-5, both work fine with silver cans, and probably OK with sport tuned motors too..

For standard silver cans and Tamiya sport tuned a good 'ol TEU-106 is perfectly fine without the need to chop the wires, but for 2 x Superstocks or anything fruity I've heard too many horror stories about it frying!

So many interesting choices. But don't you just wish that when an expensive ESC dies, it would magically fix itself? Hmmmpfh.