JennyMo

The STUMPscorcher - two Tamiya icons in one!

I would also vote for an open roof, or if you need a solid roof for structural reasons, at least create a simulated vinyl fold-back roof. I don't think I have ever seen a solid-roofed 1:1 Sand Flea - the windows are just too small for Dukes of Hazard-style access, unless you are of very small build indeed.

My clubmate's one had a fully removable vinyl roof/rear window that slid into a channel above the windscreen, and attached with zip fasteners along the sides and back. It could be removed and stowed up front in the boot for runs in the summer sun, or partially unzipped from outside or inside the car and folded back for access. It incorporated a couple of thin fiberglass stiffeners that acted like tent poles in a dome tent, helping to preserve its curved shape when in place.

I deffo think you should open the roof up like that 1:1 car, there's no way Willy's helmet would fit through any of the holes otherwise (ooer)!

Unless it's another open-face helmet perhaps? ;o)

IMG_2320_zps1feea2cb.jpg

Of course if you are looking for realism from this model (?!), then I could always sculpt some shorty doors like the STUMPkin? - either way, don't write-off the roof just yet fellas...

Jx

• Like 2

I deffo think you should open the roof up like that 1:1 car, there's no way Willy's helmet would fit through any of the holes otherwise (ooer)!

All this talk of Willys, holes and helmets, this is gonna turn into a Carry On movie :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jenny, if you are running out of P38 with the amount of modelling you do just get a UPOL EASY lifetime supply ;)

OK then!

A quick update on progress... I've been sanding and trimming the bodywork, and am happy with the overall shape now:

IMG_2328_zps66f8e217.jpg

The body mounts are sorted at the front, but I'm still undecided about the rear - the simplest thing would be to go for horizontal mounts (like the STUMPkin has), although these won't be as well disguised on this version, as the posts would exit through the rear edge of the wheel arches - and I kind of like the smooth clean line (with no lights) I've got at the moment?

IMG_2323_zps694afccb.jpg

The rear of the body will sit lower of course, once the holes are drilled:

IMG_2329_zps295e02d7.jpg

The alternative is to try and hide the rear mounts inside the shell - this won't be a problem as I don't intend to fit any windows in the Flea - however, while vertical posts are hidden by the rear pillars, there is no east way to attach the body (not securely anyway), while mounting them horizontally but forward is also an option (through the rear bulkhead of the Holiday Buggy interior), but again I'm concerned about how 'tough' it would be, as the interior will/can only connected to the main shell by a pair of screws in the scuttle panel below the windscreen.

So for the moment, I'm just messing with a few combinations - this car needs to be built tough, but at the same time, I don't want to compromise it's visual appeal...

A couple more photos:

Still waiting for the nose cone to arrive...

IMG_2327_zps1f35fc98.jpg

Holiday Buggy fuel cans fit a treat - and I love the rear arches!

IMG_2326_zps67763d60.jpg

More soon!

Jx

• Like 4

I am a huge fan of keeping the roof. It's not a real car, it's a STUMP scorcher, and the roofline really makes it look the part.

I'd say to do the rear mount like you are planning. You want it to be secure enough for bashing around...

The *real* question is…. are you going to paint it up in Scorcher colors? I think you should. :)

So great… I need to get my butt in gear and get creative again.

Cheers,

Skottoman

Looking awesome. Has it cracked by the nearside window already?

Look forward to seeing it come together. How will you do the final paintjob; Scorcher style or Blitzer beetle maybe? I think it needs to echo either one so it stands out...

Would it be possible to rig something up to allow a single mount underneath the number plate shroud?

Looking awesome. Has it cracked by the nearside window already?

Look forward to seeing it come together. How will you do the final paintjob; Scorcher style or Blitzer beetle maybe? I think it needs to echo either one so it stands out...

Hi Reilluor!

The little crack you can see is the joint in the two roof parts - I still need to fill and properly smooth there, I just wanted to get some primer on the roof to see the profile properly...

It is tempting to try and replicate the Scorcher paintwork (although I was never a huge fan) as you and Skottoman suggest - although it may well end up more of a homage than a replica as such - I've seen a lovely Ford powder blue paint, and I think together with aluminum fuel cans that would work nicely?

Jx

• Like 1

It is looking very good indeed!

As for the mounting, how about a rear pivot system? Rather than using rear body posts, put a long bolt or screw in each body post mounting hole, and then securely glue a pair of tubes to the underside of the rear arches, spaced appropriately if necessary. The bolts go through the tubes, securely holding the rear of the body in place. For normal operation, the body can pivot on the bolts, as it looks like the battery can be slid in and out without removing it. And if you do need to remove the shell entirely, just undo the screws/bolts.

As for colour schemes, this looks like a little Monster Beetle, so how about a Monster Beetle-inspired colour scheme? Or, since it is part of the Wild Willy family, how about a military scheme inspired by Willy's normal ride?

WOW! If you would have added the caption: "Spy pics form Tamiya's booth at _____ toy show" I would be totally convinced that this is an upcoming release. The proportions look very good. Great work!

I think a scale 'dub' engine hanging out the back with a mahoosive zorst is called for too on this!

• Like 2

Not my cup of tea because I never really liked the Willys platform. But with that said I definitely think that you are very creative! Well done!

OSR

I think it needs to be in the iconic sand scorcher colours, or it will become the stump-blitzer or stump-mb!

WOW! If you would have added the caption: "Spy pics form Tamiya's booth at _____ toy show" I would be totally convinced that this is an upcoming release. The proportions look very good. Great work!

They're not this creative... ;)

I second the pivoting rear body mount idea. As far back as possible, so it opens up like a funny car.

I agree with XV Pilot and markbt73. The pivot would give you great access but not be very noticeable and it would be very secure.

By the way, I just love the Stump!

Pivot sounds like a good solution and I'd second (or is it third) keeping the solid roof. What about a racing Porsche colour scheme.

• Like 1

I think a simple triangular shaped block of ca 1" height could be servo taped to the top of the chassis, and then use velcro pads to attached the shell to it. Secure enough for running, discrete and simple. If you wanted to add some fake engine detail around it then even better - nudge nudge ;)

Pivot sounds like a good solution and I'd second (or is it third) keeping the solid roof. What about a racing Porsche colour scheme.

Thank you for your ideas everyone! - yes, I've been thinking how a pivot might work (I did something similar with the Pumpkin cab on the Crawler) - the problem with this car is that the pivot would have to be cranked a little to get the body to rise up and away from the battery holder cover (unless you removed that first perhaps?) - also, how to mount the brackets to the shell itself (without drilling holes - otherwise I may as well drill post holes?) and for it to be strong enough in the event of a roll-over...

I do like Percymon's suggestion about using velcro - the way the rear body posts [currently] fit inside the rear pillars, I could easily put velcro on the inside of the shell, and wrap the opposite piece around the post - that would be fine - just not particularly 'factory' though?

As for the paint idea - funny you should suggest Porsche Mr Crispy! - I am currently leaning towards a combo idea - inspired by the GULF racing colours of the 70's - I was thinking an orange nose (a la Blitzer beetle) fading into a pale blue for the main body (as a nod to the Scorcher)... although you know me, it will probably end up primer grey with a load of rust!

More soon!

Jx

• Like 1

You could always paint it yellow. There is a strong tradition of yellow colour schemes amongst the fullsize Baja and Buggy community. There are even several clubs and societies for yellow Bajas and Buggies, the best-known of which is probably the Y.B.D.B. Historical Society (for owners of yellow bajas and dune buggies).

• Like 1

could always use a mardave v12 rear hook plate to mount rear of shell they are flexible so can bend to shape of shell

I think a scale 'dub' engine hanging out the back with a mahoosive zorst is called for too on this!

Not sure about the engine (although if I ever build an SRB, then I will have one of Toykid's engines for sure!) - however, I'd say the two 'exhaust' pipes that stick out of the back of the battery cover are crying out to be made into a 2-1 vertical stinger... ;o)

Jx

love your builds jen , great work any more progress yet

A little more - I've been waiting all week for the nose to arrive before I can properly prime everthing... in the meantime I've been sanding and shaping the roof and it is pretty much there now - because of the various angles when you bring all the corners [in] together, it needed a bit of filling and shaping to flow together properly...

The good news in the nose has just arrived in the post, and having test fitted the shell with the nose in place, it fits perfectly around the front shocks, and looks AWESOME - even if I do say so myself!

I'll post up some photos once the primer coat is done!

Of course the question now is do I salt the little tike or not?

Jx

• Like 2