JennyMo

The STUMPscorcher - two Tamiya icons in one!

Apologies for the delay in recent updates... real life getting in the way and all that!

So, I've been tweaking the interior and body mounts, and have come up with a neater solution, that is far more 'factory' than using velcro...

First up, the shell with it's final primer coat, prior to colour:

P1000006_zps7ef14005.jpg

I was particularly pleased how the nose cone fits around the standard shocks with no modification required - like it was made for it!

P1000008_zpsf588fbb3.jpg

The mounting for the interior:

P1000035_zpsdb927a59.jpg

I knew I could find a use for the standard nylon bearing-bushes! - I drilled them out slightly so I could jam in an M3 screw, then used Araldyte to bond everything together, and to the inside of the shell - that way no screw heads show on the exterior... (obviously if this was a production kit, those sockets would be moulded and have a threaded insert).

The interior bolted into position:

P1000039_zpsc42eee8f.jpg

As you can see, I decided to utilise one of the Samba body mounts for the rear body mounting - it already being the perfect width for the rear body posts on the chassis, while the tabs support the rear edge of the interior plate perfectly!

The two parts were bolted together with an M3 screw and nyloc nut:

P1000034_zpsbc126335.jpg

While the two vertical tabs (that locate in the original Holiday Buggy shell) were trimmed slightly so they fit snuggly against the interior of the Beetle shell - I was so pleased how it all worked out!

P1000033_zps0df04768.jpg

Holiday Buggy interior plate the perfect size for the shortened Scorcher shell!

P1000041_zpsf6d62fac.jpg

P1000042_zpsee666fb8.jpg

Of course I realise the rear of the body is really only supported by the two bonded screws under the bonnet - but in practice, everything seems very solid and secure - I'll just try not to roll it over too much!

Another neat feature is that with the body in place, not only can you access the battery cover without removing the body shell, but there is also plenty of access under the rear wheelarches to access the rear body pins too (not fitted in this photo):

P1000047_zps2497e848.jpg

So with the body mounting sorted, and the interior painted, it was time to get the base coat on the exterior:

P1000061_zps3fc54eb7.jpg

P1000051_zpsb0c5be3e.jpg

P1000055_zps7b7798e1.jpg

Together with the chrome NOS bottle inside, other details will include chrome fuel cans on each side - to match the chrome headlight surrounds, and I'll also trim the body side strip with chrome/aluminium tape too:

P1000062_zps112b18c9.jpg

However, I really must resist the temptation to go crazy with [scale] details on this one, and keep it simple... these chassis are so fun to drive, that the whole idea was to build a basher rather than a shelf-queen - although I think I will probably end up doing a little weathering, if only to hide the fact that my paint is a bit orange-peely!

For now I'll leave you with this... next job is the orange bonnet, perhaps the engine lid... and maybe his helmet too?

P1000065_zpsdbd270f0.jpg

More soon!

Jx

• Like 3

Outstanding and inspiring as usual . Great use of the HB interior - might pinch that one for my Frog Scorcher ;)

• Like 1

Love it! Can't wait to see the orange on it. What paint did you use to 'chrome' the jerry cans just out of interest?

Love it! Can't wait to see the orange on it. What paint did you use to 'chrome' the jerry cans just out of interest?

Yeah, all of this, amazing job, but what chrome paint! Looks stunning

Outstanding and inspiring as usual . Great use of the HB interior - might pinch that one for my Frog Scorcher ;)

Hee hee - go for it! Although I found that in the standard shell, there are a few gaps around the edges - in the STUMPscorcher, the body sides are pulled in slightly, snugging everything up. The HB interior parts is a nice cheap way to get a full width interior though, and it comes with various spot lights and the roof panel (that I used for the 'Jeep' bonnet on Lisa's Cager Crawler) too...

Jx

Hi Steve - the paint is Halfords enamel - they do a range of non-car colours such as fluorescent neon etc (should you dare!), including once called 'chrome' which is quite effective in a satin way. Just be careful as finger prints seem to dull the finish further, although I find that actually works better for a more realistic stainless steel finish?

Jx

• Like 2

Great project, it's always exciting to see something move from concept to reality. The contrasting orange sections will really make this pop.

Glad you found an excellent solution to the rear body mounting. Looks perfect, and being able to access the battery is a bonus!

Looking great, you'll still have to continue detailing a bit, but not over the top.

Do you have any issues with the front windscreen fitting, or are you leaving it out?

Superb work I say again.

Cheers,

Skottoman

Do you have any issues with the front windscreen fitting, or are you leaving it out?

Superb work I say again.

Cheers,

Skottoman

Many thanks Scottoman! - yes it's going to be hard not to cover this one in rust... maybe after a few roll-overs I can rough it up a bit?!

Regarding the front windscreen - I wasn't intending to fit one really, especially as I've removed the screw mountings from the interior of the roof...

That said, it would be simple enough to fabricate a clear screen out of lexan and glue it in place - although I'm sort of tempted to go for the blacked-out quarter height lip along the base of the scuttle (I don't remember what that style screen is actually called), and leave the main screen area open?

Of course then Willy is going to need some goggles... and so it begins!

Jx

• Like 1

Oooooh, I'm excited about my colour scheme!

As you'll probably know, I'm not really one for elaborate helmet designs - infact the first one I did that wasn't a shade of white was the plain silver one of Terminator Willy...

Anyway, to go with the GULF Racing theme on the Stumpscorcher, I thought I'd give Willy's hat some colour too:

Hope this works!

P1000080_zpsba9b8b63.jpg

Phew - only a little bleeding (yes I know I shouldn't use decorators masking tape, but it's all I had...)

P1000082_zpsa4a3b748.jpg

Needs the rubber touching in, but looks pretty good to me?

P1000083_zps7c5f7546.jpg

The body shell is drying at the moment... more soon!

Jx

• Like 2

Hi Steve - the paint is Halfords enamel - they do a range of non-car colours such as fluorescent neon etc (should you dare!), including once called 'chrome' which is quite effective in a satin way. Just be careful as finger prints seem to dull the finish further, although I find that actually works better for a more realistic stainless steel finish?

Jx

This project is fantastic :D

Have you tried putting clear over the top of the chrome enamel? Just wondered as I was thinking of using the same on the roll bars of my Super Hornets but I want to clear over the top. I know some chrome paints can go dull when cleared such as Plastikote's

This project is fantastic :D

Have you tried putting clear over the top of the chrome enamel? Just wondered as I was thinking of using the same on the roll bars of my Super Hornets but I want to clear over the top. I know some chrome paints can go dull when cleared such as Plastikote's

Hi wood5tock - yes, unfortunately that is exactly the problem - if you clear-coat it, it goes sort of satin... it's not a bad effect, more like stainless steel if you see what I mean? But it does lose that initial lustre.

Jx

I'm starting to think it will be a shame if you do actually run this... :huh:

Don't worry Grunt' - this one has definitely been built for running! - it was the whole concept behind it really - something simple, hopefully tough, and most of all fun to drive! Something that [hopefully] still looks like a stock Tamiya kit, but with a twist...

I love driving the STUMPkin already, but since I've put a load of accessories in the loadbay now, I'm a bit nervous or turning it over and damaging them... not that the WR02 does all that often - I'm surprised how stable it is! (or maybe I'm just not trying hard enough?!)

I'll photograph it once it's finished, then it will be batteries in, and outside for some wheelie-tastic fun!

Jx

This this little guy is killer!!! So freaking awesome. Really creative, and well executed.

Jenny, I think I have a crush on you now. lol.

Hi wood5tock - yes, unfortunately that is exactly the problem - if you clear-coat it, it goes sort of satin... it's not a bad effect, more like stainless steel if you see what I mean? But it does lose that initial lustre.

Jx

Ah though so. I will clear it first then, thanks for the headsup :D

Also regarding masking tape have you tried 3M Fineline tape? It's used in the automotive industry and I used to used it when I airbrushed and sprayed designs on to motorcycles. It gives you a lovely crisp line which is great for smaller stuff like RCs where a sharp line is even more critical. If you havent tried it give is a go, I got fresh supplies of 3mm and 6mm the other day from eBay ;)

postman_41.jpg

Also I think this the only instance where you can say to a lady "I love your Willy" without it being wrong on so many levels :lol::lol::lol:;)

• Like 1

Thanks wood5tock!

Yes, I'm familiar with that tape - fantastic stuff - I really ought to get myself some like you say... on the whole though I tend not to mask fine lines on my models - preferring to smudge any mistakes with the perfect excuse of 'weathering' ;o)

Other than my first attempt at painting the FRO-SCO (have a look in my showroom if anyone has not seen it), the STUMPscorcher is really the only other vehicle I've painted in two-tone, and also tried to get a 'clean' finish.

I'm pleased with how it's turned out (it is only a basher after all x), but already am thinking about a little weathering and distressing... it just isn't going to look right next to all my other beaten-up old vehicles!

Photos to follow soon... in the meantime, GULF Willy is waiting patiently for Jack Willy to fit the engine (Speed controller) into the STUMPscorcher... the only problem is that Jack doesn't currently have his head attached as his helmet is being painted too!

P1000094_zps3373b241.jpg

Jx

• Like 2

​From a great concept to fruition ..Not many can do both design and build...Congats a fine example of modeling skills..As you say in the UK..Very stick and nick...lol regards pleiku68

Ok folks! It's time for the big reveal! - well almost, a few little details and a quick recap first...

The idea was to build something that was most of all fun to drive - so the plan was to keep the design and details simple, and in turn, be not too far removed from a production kit... therefore I felt it important to keep all the components used from the Tamiya parts-bin so to speak.

I used the bone-stock chassis and wheels from a new Type 2 Wheelie Bus, as this was the cheapest way to get a NIP WR-02 chassis set-up, and I already knew how much fun they were with the STUMPkin project!

Similarly, I wanted to use a scale style body, suitably shortened, and what better shell than Tamiya's iconic Beetle body from the Sand Scorcher (Monster & Blitzer Beetle) - so I bought a NIP shell from ebay, together with the sundry parts I'd need like the Blitzer Beetle nose cone and headlight buckets.

I was fortunately to already have a Holiday Buggy interior parts set - which, once the Beetle body was shortened to match the WR-02 wheelbase, fitted perfectly into the interior space. The Holiday Buggy parts sprue also included a pair of Jerry cans (sweet!), which I felt would work well where the doors used to be...

Having worked out a neat way to mount the rear of the body:

P1000156_zps6c100648.jpg

(note the two post pins locate perfectly inside the wheelarches)

It was time to get some paint on - and early on I'd decided to go for a two tone 'GULF Racing' inspired theme, although as yet I've not found the perfect sticker set... That said, I'm not sure it actually needs any logos after all... perhaps just a small one on the front of the nose, and a couple on the rear engine cover? Using blue and orange together (albeit a lighter blue than the box-art Sand Scorcher) also kept the 'family' theme running - the orange bonnet paying homage to the Blitzer Beetle's splash graphics.

I also felt it important to paint the engine cover orange too, to tie the whole scheme together as it looked a bit 'unfinished' all blue at the rear:

P1000087_zps5e23f5a9.jpg

(note the handy hint picked up here on TC about how to paint the window rubbers neatly!)

Inside, I blacked out the cabin area - especially as without any glass in the windows you can see inside the car easily... being cheap (and since I was using a brush anyway) I didn't bother with the whole underside - although I might paint under the wheelarches too - not that they particularly show to be honest.

P1000104_zps240891b2.jpg

Of course this was going to be a runner - and because of the way the body mounts, and the space underneath it, the electrics were installed like this:

P1000118_zps3f6bdc19.jpg

The TU104 speed controller came with the Wheelie bus kit, and the transmitter/receiver is a 2.4GHz Fly-Sky set-up - very good value and I've found perfectly reliable. Although the 2.4GHz doesn't really need the aerial sticking out, I chose to include a short stumpy aerial that exits through the rear window aperture, using the original WR-02 mounting bracket on the chassis rail.

So I guess you want to know what it looks like all together right?

Here we go!

The finished body, with interior fitted:

P1000119_zps0543a0df.jpg

Note the silver body trim (aluminium self-adhesive foil cut into a thin strip), and the Jerry cans painted in 'chrome' effect paint... I have actually dulled these down slightly to make them appear more weathered.

GULF Willy's helmet painted to match the car, and 1/6th scale goggles fitted in keeping with the retro Le Mans theme...

P1000121_zps645e27e0.jpg

P1000127_zps02a23a56.jpg

Engine vents painted in, while the silver parts (fuel cans, NOS bottle and body trim strip) I think accent the paint scheme well?

P1000130_zps0a6f9062.jpg

Enough already, what does it look like on it's wheels?!!!

This:

P1000142_zps75b077dd.jpg

P1000141_zps10e09453.jpg

P1000139_zps1c8e0788.jpg

P1000145_zps2ea8862e.jpg

Wanda thought it looked fantastic, although she had a few stern words with GULF Willy to take it easy on the first test drive!

P1000155_zps565f5f29.jpg

And of course it couldn't go outside before Jack Willy (now working at Auto Haus) fitted the licence plate:

P1000161_zpsf1af0fc6.jpg

Job done! - ready to rock!

P1000165_zpseb01fdbc.jpg

If you want me, I'll be outside - pulling wheelies everywhere with my new favorite toy!

Toot toot!

Jenny xx

• Like 2

ps. Yes, that's right - you might have noticed that Jack Willy has another 'awesome' accessory - a Lego spanner!

P1000171_zps3ef458b3.jpg

Jx

Excellent - just the Gulf logo missing ????/

Yes - although as I said in the blurb above, I'm not sure it actually needs the logo as such?

I do have a couple about 50mm diameter, but they are too big really... (it would look like a helicopter landing pad on the roof) - if I can find some smaller ones - perhaps the 1/32nd scale that Screenprint Digital do - then a small one on the nose, and two small ones on the rear engine cover might work?

It is tempting to put a few 'sponsor' stickers on the sides too, I'll have to see...

The other thing I still need to source is some headlight lenses - unfortunately the ones I have from the Axial spot-light set are a touch too small.

I'm also considering lighting this one too - just a pair of headlights and a pair of tail lights - probably high level fog light style ones in the rear window...

Yes, it's only really half finished isn't it?!

Jx

ps. And ultimately some rust and scratches and dents - you know me ;o)