JennyMo

The STUMPscorcher - two Tamiya icons in one!

I have been following this since you first started. Just fantastic, only wish I could work as quick as this on my creations!

Cheers Shaun

Thanks Shaun!

I've had to take a break from things the past couple of weeks, but hopefully I'll be updating this thread soon with a few more ideas... I'm still looking for the right sized GULF logos, and have been toying with either fitting a full windscreen (perhaps with dirty wiper streaks) or a half sun-shade style one...

I also need to source some pukka headlight lenses, and get the headlights working... still not sure if I'm going to fit any rear lights or not yet...

I have to admit, I couldn't resist taking it for a run the other day, and it is every bit as much fun as I'd hoped it would be - and the perfect companion to the STUMPkin!

More soon!

Jenny xx

• Like 1

Very cool I also like the Gulf colour Scheme, maybe a but too much! I got a sheet of decals from Jez (Screenprintdigital) on eBay and used them quickly. I have had 2 more sheets since.. :-) I am addicted! Lol looks great and a superb job made on blending the cut body back together. I always use the tamiya light blue which looks ok but not truly correct. Which paint did you use?

If you want me to check the sizes of the gulf logos on the sheets I use let me know.

awaiting update jen !!!!!! ;)

Sorry, I've been away these past couple of weeks... and just been putting the finishing touches to a little something for Bigoggy's charity build thread this weekend...

Steve - it would be great if you could measure the diameter of the GULF logos from Screen Print Digital - are you referring to the 1:32 scale set, as it would appear that the larger GULF roundals are about the same size as a 1:10 scale spotlight cover for example?

I was thinking about a set of 1:32 scale logos, as they would be better as small stickers (for windows etc) and also as patches on race-suits...

More soon - oh, and if anyone has a spare set of headlight lenses for a Sand Scorcher/Blitzer Beetle for sale, please drop me a line - I don't really want to have to buy the whole L parts, although perhaps a windscreen would be a good addition after all...

Jx

• Like 1

Hi Jen, yes the one I haw is the 1/10 and you are correct the smaller ones fit onto the spotlights. I will see if I can see any dotted around on fleabay and let you know. As I could also use them.. :-)

Hi Jen, yes the one I haw is the 1/10 and you are correct the smaller ones fit onto the spotlights. I will see if I can see any dotted around on fleabay and let you know. As I could also use them.. :-)

Thanks Steve - yes, I've seen some 1/10 scale ones on ebay (from a different seller), but they are black and orange rather than the dark blue, and I'm a bit of a stickler* like that...

*Aha ha.

I think I've found something suitable though, and taken a punt on a set of 1/24th scale - I'm hoping the largest roundal won't be too big (or small) for the the nose of the Beetle, while there are two pairs of smaller sizes - the larger of the two should be perfect for the front side panels and the smallest ones for the side of his helmet...

More soon!

Jx

• Like 2

Hi Jen

Send me a pm with a link to the seller. :-)

Yes got to be the correct colours.. Stickler... Love it....

Can't beat a sticker on the helmet.. Lol.

Keep up the good work Hen the stumpy body mods look great.

Put some "how to" articles on here for the blending on the body shells the joins you have made are seamless!

Cheers

Steve

Steve - it would be great if you could measure the diameter of the GULF logos from Screen Print Digital - are you referring to the 1:32 scale set, as it would appear that the larger GULF roundals are about the same size as a 1:10 scale spotlight cover for example?

I was thinking about a set of 1:32 scale logos, as they would be better as small stickers (for windows etc) and also as patches on race-suits...

Jx

Have you tried contacting Jeremy? Im sure he would be able to make some to 1:10 or a specific size ;)

Have you tried contacting Jeremy? Im sure he would be able to make some to 1:10 or a specific size ;)

Aha, who is this mythical 'Jeremy' of which you speak?

To be honest, I'm hoping the 1/24th scale set are going to work perfectly on the STUMPscorcher, as I don't want a particularly large roundal on the nose, just something a little larger than the typical 1/10 scale spot-light cover (which I'm hoping the pair of the 2nd size are - I've still not received them yet) which will go on the side of the wings in front of the fuel cans...

But certainly if you can recommend someone who can custom-print logos in various sizes as the need arises, that would be cool!

Jx

The man we speak of is Jeremy from Screenprint Digital who is the magician who creates wondrous high quality decals for all sorts of things, and who by reading the development of 'Stump Scorcher' you (I think) have stumbled across on eBay selling the 1:32 Gulf decals.

His proper website is www.screenprintdigital.com where you can see the gorgeousness for your self :)

He has just sent my a set of custom decals for my Super Hornet II project and they are cooler than I snowman's frosty bits.

I created the artwork and he brought them to life :)

You see a pure magician :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Aha - I wondered if that is what you meant - yes, I've bought stuff from them/him before, I didn't realise they could do custom sizes/designs too...

Oooooh the possibilities!

Thanks for the details!

Jx

The man we speak of is Jeremy from Screenprint Digital who is the magician who creates wondrous high quality decals for all sorts of things, and who by reading the development of 'Stump Scorcher' you (I think) have stumbled across on eBay selling the 1:32 Gulf decals.

His proper website is www.screenprintdigital.com where you can see the gorgeousness for your self :)

He has just sent my a set of custom decals for my Super Hornet II project and they are cooler than I snowman's frosty bits.

I created the artwork and he brought them to life :)

You see a pure magician :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought Jeremy wasn't doing bespoke decals anymore, ???

Just a couple of quick photos with some stickers... Initially I had trouble finding some suitable GULF logos (not that I felt it really needed any, but you know, for authenticity and all that...) and ended up with some 1/24th scale water-slide roundals for the sides (together with some tiny ones on Willy's helmet), plus a larger 50mm diameter sticker, which wouldn't really fit anywhere other than the roof:

P1000829_zps709c7ec6.jpg

Anyway, I felt the side panel ones were always a little small?, and finally found a set of 1/10th scale ones which I hoped were in the right colours...

P1000845_zpsc69d51ec.jpg

So I replaced the body ones with these:

P1000831_zps77708459.jpg

Which I think work better, together with a couple more slightly smaller ones at the rear...

P1000834_zpsf607b2fd.jpg

I prefer the twin roof stripes to the single big logo, but because the orange printing isn't the same shade as the paintwork, I feel ultimately I will have to paint the stripes on instead... similarly, the logos work better on the blue panels rather than the hood/bonnet too I feel?

Oh, and you might notice some chipped paint on the rear too - After an enthusiastic driving session the other day, I flipped the car (good test - the body mountings stood up perfectly well!), and fortunately the only scratch was to the lip of the rear numberplate light cover!

I masked up the rear of the car to retouch it, and stupidly left the tape on for a week - the result being some of the blue paint pulled away when I removed it...

Ah well, maybe this is a sign? - you know how I like to distress my vehicles, and these would be prime locations for some rust effect I feel!

More soon, once I get the headlights sorted - btw. if anyone has some spare lenses for sale, please let me know - it seems silly (not to mention expensive) to buy the whole window/screen parts just to get the headlight lenses...

Jx

• Like 3

Oh, that's gonna rust...!

This one of those builds that I could see Tamiya copying, it wouldn't surprise me to see them selling something similar within a year or so.

I might not wait though, I have a WR-02 chassis, a Kamtec beetle shell and a hacksaw... :D

• Like 1

Oh, that's gonna rust...!

Ha ha - almost certainly!

Thanks for your kind words about the conversion, I have to say I was very pleased with the ultimate proportions too... Perhaps we will see a whole family of Stumpy's cropping up? - the WR-02 is certainly one of my favorite chassis for driving - it's hysterical!

I'm considering adding another to the family myself... I reckon the Holiday Buggy shell would work well too - as long as I can find a way to bond it back together, and ideally paint it too - unless the cuts are really clean...

Jx

A Holiday Stumpy would be superb! But regardless, I look forward to your next project!

Like the stripes!

As an alternative to your usual rust weathering, how about some race car 'weathering'? So basically a clean chassis with some dings and some tyre marks and some rubber/mud splatters and some gaffer tape?

• Like 1

So just a quick update...

While I've been busy with my SRB Project, it seems that Jack Willy and Steve (McQueen) Willy have been getting busy on their own... Jack fitted some headlight lenses (at last!) and LED headlights to the STUMPscorcher:

P1010329_zpsabe665aa.jpeg

And of course then the little bug*ers had to take it racing at the 24h Le Mans didn't they? - look how filthy it is now - and typically it rained so that chipped paint went all rusty too... ;o)

P1010332_zpsa426f38f.jpeg

Still, at least Jack covered up a few of the scratches with a new roof sticker - tying it in with the rest of the family so to speak...

P1010333_zps7aaf2404.jpeg

note. you can see in the photo above how the windscreen/roof is slightly twisted after some over enthusiastic heat-gun action (but hey, this was effectively a prototype), and as such the stock Scorcher windscreen just doesn't sit properly in there... of course I kind of like the open screen look (after all, Steve Willy has goggles), but ultimately I might cut a new screen from thin lexan - especially as I have some Blitzer Beetle wipers to fit on, and I love that look with a dirty windscreen and the wiper sweep clean...

Quite the pair!

P1010336_zps1c410307.jpg

Toot toot!

Jx

• Like 4

Like the stripes!

As an alternative to your usual rust weathering, how about some race car 'weathering'? So basically a clean chassis with some dings and some tyre marks and some rubber/mud splatters and some gaffer tape?

Done! - although I knew something was missing... look out for some strips of gaffer tape soon!

Jx

I've just updated my showroom with the latest mods, but thought I'd give you a quick peek here too!

So I managed to fabricate a windscreen from 1mm lexan this afternoon... and despite the guys' best efforts, I still felt the STUMPscorcher wasn't quite dirty enough to fit in with the rest of my garage - so it was out with the paints to weather the car a little more, for that authentic 'just back from Le Mans' look!

P1010339_zpse679063d.jpeg

Exhaust soot and rust:

P1010340_zps39f36283.jpeg

Dirty windscreen:

P1010349_zps48c5deee.jpeg

General crud and oil from other racers:

P1010355_zpscc0edb44.jpeg

I think this has to be my favourite view of the car:

P1010354_zps8c5b4d40.jpeg

Those lights are seriously bright!

P1010347_zpsdb5dd455.jpeg

Jx

• Like 3

Those lights are seriously bright!

Well, it is good to know that Jack and Steve keep the important bits clean and functional... :P

Your weathering skills are excellent - I love the windscreen!

That really does look like it's been running for 24 hours straight. You really have a knack for weathering. Are the wheels nice and mucky too? ;)