jujutsuboy

Midnight Pumpkin Black Edition Build/Project

Having lost interest in RC Cars for a while (though still enjoyed the great threads here), I decided to dig out the Midnight Pumpkin I purchased in the Modelzone sale and decided to build it up but with a twist and try and give it a more scale feel without losing the fun of the Pumpkin/Lunchbox.

fu5v.jpg

e51r.jpg

Gearbox built up with full bearings (rubber sealed on axles), slot cut ready for 3rd shock and no motor adaptor as 18T pinion will be used.

hc16.jpg

Alturn waterproof servo built up and ready to go. Be interesting to see how this performs as a real bargain from Modelsport.

65xn.jpg

Servo in place

oueq.jpg

3rd shock in place ready for top mounting

cm5q.jpg

Mounted

4tzg.jpg

Front arms all built up with Hornet uprights.

ff93.jpg

All assembled with Absima ally oil shocks. These were a bit of a punt but seem fine for a tenner a pair!

5k4r.jpg

Front Brat wheels mounted up with rubber sealed bearings

9cy3.jpg

Rear shocks on alongside rear Brat wheels

o57y.jpg

The final (for now stance of the chassis. Personally, I am happy with the look of this (not so sure how it will drive!) as long as I can achieve what I want with the body

e1uv.jpg

This is where I could use some help/suggestions as I have never messed around with customising bodies before. Seeing JennyMo and MokeI Kagaku recent threads it has shown the sky is the limit for significant customisation.

I am pleased with the body height at the front, but I need to try and drop the rear to level it out and give the correct stance.

r7g6.jpg

Currently I am considering cutting out the flat bed, then remodelling something at the correct height, alternatively I am considering removing the entire rear of the body behind the cab and fabricating something up from plastic. However I am up for any suggestions at this time!

Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 1

I would try a set of shorter rear shocks as that will drop the back end down although it may compromise handeling a little

Nice indeed.

I have thought of changing my Midnight Chrome edition friction shocks to better alloy shocks too but it's just a fun machine with a potent 19t Trinity motor and is so much more fun. :)

• Like 1

I would try a set of shorter rear shocks as that will drop the back end down although it may compromise handeling a little

A good thought, but unfortunately the chassis needs to remain flat otherwise all movement in rear suspension/gearbox will be lost!

One of my mates made his Pumpkin sit about 10mm lower and it looked really good.

He should be coming over later I'll find out how he did it for you.

Could you not just move the upper mounting position more rearwards ? It would only need you to drill two small holes for the damper shaft . That would angle the dampers more and lower the rear end without having to buy new dampers . Couple of washers to reinforce the mounting point and it would be ok .

You could always fit a brass tube spacer on the piston inside the shock to limit the length of the shock, this is very easy to do and I think you should have a couple spare from the front shock lower mounts that are used on the standard shocks.

See page 2 of my King Blackfoot thread as I had to do this to shorten the front shocks: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/70340-My-F150-King-Blackfoot-build-thread

One of my mates made his Pumpkin sit about 10mm lower and it looked really good.

He should be coming over later I'll find out how he did it for you.

That would be really useful :-)

I'm keen to retain the chassis flat and level, and try and do something interesting with the body.

If you were to cut the bed out so you can drop it more then you could fabricate a tonneau covet.

That's what I was trying to explan Grumpy . Just lose the top mounts and fix the shaft as he has done with a bit of tube and a couple of nylock nuts .

That's what I was trying to explan Grumpy . Just lose the top mounts and fix the shaft as he has done with a bit of tube and a couple of nylock nuts .

I get it now! I did this to my lunch box before I replaced the shocks. The problem I found is the gearbox clashes with the 3rd shock too easy if the chassis is dropped too much; of course I could

replace the shock with a rigid link which would reduce the space required but still allow the solid axle to 'roll'.

If you were to cut the bed out so you can drop it more then you could fabricate a tonneau covet.

Ah, I like this suggestion! Add some reinforcement in corners to make up for removal of bed, then it might just work. Can anyone suggest the best tool for the cutting job? I have a dremal but may be a bit awkward getting into corners?

I would use the cotton thread method . Drill a small hole . Thread the sewing thread through the hole . Wrap a bit of wood ect around each end and use as a saw . Very neat cuts can be done this way .

Yes mate bog standard stuff . It will snap now and again but just re thread and start over .