mongoose1983

My RC project for 2014. International Super-stock Pulling Tractor.

I'm excited on this one. Always wanted to make an International tractor like these monsters.

I'll be using a Lunchbox axle for the rear and already have the perfect wheels and tires for the front.

Some inspiration:

IMG_6936_zps02e544c1.jpg

tractor001_zpsf88981a6.jpg?t=1389510742

I have started the project by making a chassis with aluminum rails. I'll post some pictures asap.

You all have a good Sunday! :)

Some pictures of the building process...

I KNOW tractors don't have suspension, but the Frog damper is so hard it won't make a difference and will look as stiff as a 1:1 tractor when running ;)

Okay, here we go.

I know I've never been a fan of modifying original Tamiya parts, but I had to make a small hole at the top of the Lunchbox gearbox to fit a holder for the shock...

DSCN4967_zps8e52a7c8.jpg?t=1389512261

Here's the wonders done with a brass pipe and a threaded rod to attach the axle to the chassis... I still have to work the frame and make it look nice. I guarantee you I will!

DSCN4981_zps460b26c7.jpg?t=1389512264

A look at the set-up. I know, I know...

DSCN4995_zpsdda86120.jpg?t=1389512270

A couple of pictures of the thing as it sits now over my work bench...

002_zps84649d72.jpg?t=1389512273

001_zps0d4df0d4.jpg?t=1389512275

Next weekend I'll resume my work with the Wrangler Jeep and hopefully this one...

You all have a super Sunday! :)

• Like 4

Thank you guys! :)

Well, yesterday I woke up to some idea as to how to make the front axle. The International tractors from the 70's have this swinging front axle. No suspension involved. So I am going ahead making something similar. I yet have to drill this tube and fix these aluminum bits from the Subaru Brat kit to hold the Hornet uprights that I'll use. I'm sure it's going to work fine. Later on I'll have to make the swinging holder.

In the meantime here's some pictures of my work and some 1:1 reference as well.

Reference:

intlside_zps001f28cf.jpg?t=1389730313

These ones modded for pulling:

axle2_zps6e70b2c0.jpg?t=1389730698

axle3_zps8b71010a.jpg?t=1389730703

And here's the work done by now.

02DSCN5003_zps85555014.jpg?t=1389730076

01DSCN4999_zps184cff65.jpg?t=1389730090

03DSCN5010_zpsc2bd40b8.jpg?t=1389730086

You all have a good Wednesday! :)

Today I tested the cardboard pattern for the body. I ended up happy with the test, but further modification must be done. Some pictures below:

I yet have to drill some holes and get the front axle fixed to the chassis. I first have to design and build the pivotal point which will go mounted in some brace.

01_zpsb6275faa.jpg?t=1389831791

Overall looks:

02_zps1f896d5c.jpg?t=1389831795

Testing my first cardboard patterns. Further mods must be done to make better ones. But the overall looks are correct.

04_zps30e32cf8.jpg?t=1389831804

03_zpsc3cbc086.jpg?t=1389831798

Might have to cut the chassis' rails a bit, but that will have to be after the main work gets done.

06_zpsf91d9b09.jpg?t=1389831788

You all have a good Thursday! :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive comment, Martin. :)

Well, here's some pictures of the work done today:

The front axle is now ready to be attached to the chassis. I yet have to file the pivotal points to shape them correctly and make them look nice.

01_zps13b44f12.jpg?t=1390113873

Have to drill holes on these parts that will keep the axle attached to some cross-member of the chassis:

02_zpsfbd2d2ba.jpg?t=1390113875

Yes, those are a couple of Brat's aluminum bits and Grasshopper uprights.

I'll use four flanged brass bits to avoid any playing from those uprights when running.

03_zps5322cb09.jpg?t=1390113880

04_zps9034f77b.jpg?t=1390113891

I think this white bit belongs to some older RC10 Associated buggy, not sure. I found it in my box of used & broken RC parts.

05_zps96e63f41.jpg?t=1390113894

Profile view:

06_zps0a2763b3.jpg?t=1390113907

Head-on shot:

07_zps8b5b794f.jpg?t=1390113910

Once I get the chassis ready I'll make some sort of cradle for the battery and a plastic box for the electronics. The chassis will be painted black when finished.

08_zpsc0c4071e.jpg?t=1390113904

The material for the body is already cut but I still need to shape it down to the 1975 International Tractor bodyshape. That will really be the last step of this build, as I first have to get the driver from the States. Unfortunately, that can not be any sooner than sometime near the end of February.

If I have an hour or two tomorrow I will be able to drill the crossmember and get the axle fixed to the chassis. Once that is done I'll have to face one unexpected problem with the steering: since this is a rigid swinging axle I don't know how to deal with the servo-saver's rods. I planned to use a pivotal steering servo-saver, now not sure because of the eventual effects of the axle's swinging. Of course, I would appreciate if you could share any ideas you might have on how to deal with that problem. ;)

You all have a nice Sunday! :)

Nice going Erich! Look forward to the rest of the project!

Here is a youtube link to get ya in the mood for Tractor pulling.

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive comment, Martin. :)

Well, here's some pictures of the work done today:

The front axle is now ready to be attached to the chassis. I yet have to file the pivotal points to shape them correctly and make them look nice.

01_zps13b44f12.jpg?t=1390113873

Have to drill holes on these parts that will keep the axle attached to some cross-member of the chassis:

02_zpsfbd2d2ba.jpg?t=1390113875

Yes, those are a couple of Brat's aluminum bits and Grasshopper uprights.

I'll use four flanged brass bits to avoid any playing from those uprights when running.

03_zps5322cb09.jpg?t=1390113880

04_zps9034f77b.jpg?t=1390113891

I think this white bit belongs to some older RC10 Associated buggy, not sure. I found it in my box of used & broken RC parts.

05_zps96e63f41.jpg?t=1390113894

Profile view:

06_zps0a2763b3.jpg?t=1390113907

Head-on shot:

07_zps8b5b794f.jpg?t=1390113910

Once I get the chassis ready I'll make some sort of cradle for the battery and a plastic box for the electronics. The chassis will be painted black when finished.

08_zpsc0c4071e.jpg?t=1390113904

The material for the body is already cut but I still need to shape it down to the 1975 International Tractor bodyshape. That will really be the last step of this build, as I first have to get the driver from the States. Unfortunately, that can not be any sooner than sometime near the end of February.

If I have an hour or two tomorrow I will be able to drill the crossmember and get the axle fixed to the chassis. Once that is done I'll have to face one unexpected problem with the steering: since this is a rigid swinging axle I don't know how to deal with the servo-saver's rods. I planned to use a pivotal steering servo-saver, now not sure because of the eventual effects of the axle's swinging. Of course, I would appreciate if you could share any ideas you might have on how to deal with that problem. ;)

You all have a nice Sunday! :)

I had exactly the problem with the steering you mention on my 6x6, and solved it by using an extra pivot arm. Both the steering uprights are linked by a single track rod, with and extra one connected to the pivot. (A bit like clod buster steering, but with the pivot mounted in the horizontal plane). Where the extra rod connects to the pivot has to line up exactly with the pivot the axle beam pivots on. When the steering is centred, you get zero bump steer. However, depending on how much the axle deflects, the steering can be reduced at full lock depending on which way the wheels are turned. If you have a look through the 6x6 build thread (currently on the second page of this forum) you should be able to see what I've done from the photos. I can try and take some pics of the setup on the truck in detail if you think it will help you.

I had exactly the problem with the steering you mention on my 6x6, and solved it by using an extra pivot arm. Both the steering uprights are linked by a single track rod, with and extra one connected to the pivot. (A bit like clod buster steering, but with the pivot mounted in the horizontal plane). Where the extra rod connects to the pivot has to line up exactly with the pivot the axle beam pivots on. When the steering is centred, you get zero bump steer. However, depending on how much the axle deflects, the steering can be reduced at full lock depending on which way the wheels are turned. If you have a look through the 6x6 build thread (currently on the second page of this forum) you should be able to see what I've done from the photos. I can try and take some pics of the setup on the truck in detail if you think it will help you.

img33435_14042013184448_6.jpg

Thanks, Madinventor.

Yeah, I considered the single rod and then adding an one to make the steering possible. Pretty much like the steering system from the High-Lift vehicles. I'm scratching my head right now as to where to install the pivotal point now.

By the way, that is one incredible work done on that 6x6 truck!

Not sure I'll have a minute to go back to the tractor today. Lots to do! :(

Here's an annotated picture of the steering mechanism:

img33435_19012014213036_1.jpg

It shows (Not a very good pic I know) that I used a secondary arm, where the ball joints for the connecting rods aligned along the axis of the axle pivot arm, then pivots itself in the same plane, but from a higher point hidden behind the chassis.

• Like 1

Thanks again, mate! Yes it seems there isn't any other possibility than going ahead with the single track rod layout. This is pushing me to make a new design. But it's all cool, just a challenge to make the results more enjoyable in the end.

Think next weekend I'll go back to the Wrangler Jeep. Keeping Super-stock tractor build on stand-by in the meantime. ;)

Another option would be to use a longer kingpin on one upright, and add a lever to the top, then have the servo movement operate parallel to the chassis rail, as normal steering is set out on older tractors. If you have old vintage grasshopper uprights they will have a grub screw inside the end for securing the kingpin. You could make a longer kingpin by taking an old 3mm trackrod and bending it through 90degrees. Then add a screw on balljoint to the end, then put the other end down through the white stub axle and secure with a grubscrew. If you're worried about the grubscrew slipping just file a small flat on the modified kingpin about 1mm deep for the grubscrew to locate into.

All you need to do then is trim off the excess trackrod poking out of the bottom of the frog suspension part. You can then just connect the 2 grasshopper uprights together with a single trackrod like on a hi-lift.. Not only is this quite simple to do and avoids making secondary pivots, but it will also look very scale with the servo hidden behind the bodywork and the servo horn poked out mounted vertically downwards.

The picture on this site shows the idea quite well, just replace the power steering ram with a solid trackrod, and the lever poking out of the steering box mid way up the chassis is where the servo horn would be.

http://www.powersteeringkit.com/

Think I'm sold for the single track rod. I have everything to make it, except the single track rod itself. I'll have to pay another visit to the hobby store and see what can I get there. Thanks! :)

Spent a few hours working on the front axle today, and so far I can say I'm very happy with the results.

I basically had to drill holes on the alu axle mounts and the white RC10 bit, which I also had to cut and modify, and then fix it all with a pair of hex screws to the custom chassis. One interesting part of the work was cutting small brass shafts to make the Hornet's uprights fit correctly the Brat aluminum parts that works on the front axle. Now the thing swings freely and I believe it will move pretty much like a real tractor.

Some pictures.

f-axle_zpsf88f547e.jpg?t=1390620805

f-axle2_zps7dd05761.jpg?t=1390620803

Next steps will be (1) making a cradle for the battery, (2) install the radio and other electronics bits, and (3) come up with a good-working steering system for this. As pointed out before, I'll do something with the single-track rod.

You all have a great weekend! :)

Haha that is awesome! I cant wait to see how this pans out, its so unique! It is certainly not what I imagined when you said "tractor"! Wicked! :D

• Like 1

Any more progress ??

Thanks for asking, mate. :)

Unfortunately, there isn't any progress to show. :(

It's been a crazy year. Work, weather, and two graduate programs are draining my energies these days, so the tractor is been stored in a box waiting for next summer (december-march) to arrive. I also have a couple of unfinished Tamiyas to do, a Bruiser and a Rough Rider buggy. Everytime I get a minute to do something I'm usually exhausted and I just can't seem to get to it. Hopefully, when better weather arrives I'll be able to resume some of my RC projects.

No doubt that the tractor is in line with the restrictions against pollution. ;)

Max

Nice going Erich! Look forward to the rest of the project!

Here is a youtube link to get ya in the mood for Tractor pulling.

You've made some great progress on this Erich, I know its going to be amazing when you get round to finishing it! I know how you feel though, so many projects and no time, however, I'm on an R/C break at the moment, lost a bit of interest to be honest, though I'm sure something will get me back into it soon!

Looking forward to seeing the finished article! :D

• Like 1

Phew, after months I finally got a free week so I could resume this project... :D

It happened that I got me a pair of rails of a more realistic scale size, so I've made a drastic decision and took it all apart to start a new aluminum frame for the tractor. I wasn't completely satisfied with the first one, specially after comparing it with the Tamiya 1:9 driver. I had to narrow the frame so the tractor would be more in scale with the driver. There was no other choice for me other than starting a new, using these other rails. Now things are looking good again, and I am excited for the scale and proportions are getting better.

For now other thing I might have to work on is the front axle. I believe I'll have to narrow it one or two cms so I can make the model look more in scale with the real International tractor pullers.

Tomorrow I'll get to work on the drivetrain and maybe some craddle for a battery pack. And if time allows tomorrow I'll be able to get some working steering linkage to it. :rolleyes:

Some photos of today's work:

DSCN8045_zps655185b6.jpg?t=1410743507

The main cross member. I believe in the end I'll have to add another one so I can make the frame more solid.

02_zps46184238.jpg?t=1410743436

The axle set up taken from the previous frame. I might narrow the axle later.

03_zps28830808.jpg?t=1410743425

04_zps0713299d.jpg?t=1410743462

05_zps5b66fbe8.jpg?t=1410743480

Hopefully before the end of this year I'll make a proper driver out of this here ghost ;)

DSCN8059_zpsbc33efe0.jpg?t=1410743450

You all have a good week! :)

Yay! Very glad to see this project on the go again - was following it with interest. Please keep us posted!

• Like 1

After some rainy days here (and some celebrations) I could return to my tractor project.

Had to get the axle installed backwards (using the shocks mounting tips), and so I lost about an inch and a half of the model wheelbase, so I'll have to move further the front axle. But more or less the new chassis is mostly done by now. The bodywork will hopefully start not too long from today.

DSCN8181_zps15cc0549.jpg?t=1411092407

I've decided against the mono-shock I installed in the test-chassis and now I fixed it all with just a threaded bar as you can see here.

DSCN8186_zps1c20bd35.jpg

I won't be using wood, I was just toying with the kind of looks I can get. I'll have to work some cardboard model to make the final body.

DSCN8194_zpse9fee2e2.jpg

I also cut off some of the axle mounting bits with a hot knife, so I can get a hook for some trailer there. Now it looks more clean, and more realistic scale-wise.

DSCN8162_zpsae917ba7.jpg

DSCN8176_zps738e3daf.jpg

I have to work some steering linkage and think about some cradle for the battery pack... Not sure when I'll be able to resume the work, but I know I am excited. :)

You all have a good Friday! :D

The picture with the wood blocks installed in the chassis really pulls it together for me. The proportions look great!