mongoose1983

My RC project for 2014. International Super-stock Pulling Tractor.

Great to see this coming together. Lots of ingenuity and hard work but it's really worth the effort. Really nice work Erich.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement @speedy_w_beans and @IBIFTKH     R7gC9BM.jpg

23 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Erich, this is looking really nice!  All your fabrication work is paying off.  One thing that really surprised me - just by painting the rear gearbox red it's now very convincing as an axle/differential.  Great work!

Yes, I liked how things looked like when I was first spraying the parts in red. Once rebuilt, that little spraying helped me envision how it is going to look when finished all in red. And so I am optimistic about this one, Paul ;)

That is surely looking great, really hope all things work out for you and your building, I know you want to finish up projects this year, but I secretly want to see you have a project each year, maybe not as intensive as this one, but still a project nonetheless.

Chris

Just so you guys don't think I'm procrastinating and not going ahead with this RC project. Quite the contrary! Too busy lately with work, family, and such.

Tonight I've placed a plied piece of metal under the cawl so I could attach the front grill to it. Also, I worked a bit more on the panel. Things are finally coming along. :)

IH%20Grill%20work%206-20-17_zpscfpoel10.jpg%7Eoriginal

You all have a fantastic Wednesday! ;)

This is coming along quite nicely, Erich! I am very impressed! 😊

5 hours ago, berman said:

This is coming along quite nicely, Erich! I am very impressed! 😊

Thanks, Neil. You're much too kind ;)

The panel is ready and it is now getting in place. Once all the extra bits are placed over the cowl, time will come for the RED COLOR.

IMG_0619_zpsmzijnjuf.jpg%7Eoriginal

Tons to do here now. But I hope to resume my work on this one soon :)

That is looking nice, can't wait for the red to be applied. I still need to sort your decals.

I finally got the panel installed and so the cowl is virtually ready. I still have to do the fine detail to the grill, that's why it might look a bit off in the pictures here but do take my word it does fit like a glove ;) Now I would like to shave a bit more the fenders before sparing it.

ih%20tractor_zpsyp3ykeo7.jpg%7Eoriginal

ALSO, we're not leaving this guy sitting over a cold sheet of bare metal there, no siree bub! So I will have to go down to this classic type of International Harvester seat sometime the next few days.

I will use a piece of aluminum and the last remnants of grey leatherette that was given to me by Crash Cramer, a few years ago.

99TEESo.jpg

Tons to do here now...

You all have a good weekend! :)

• Like 4

Well, today I finally got to do the last precision cuts to the fenders, and time came to prepare and spray red all over the tin sheets. Some pictures of today's actions:

d02hYgk.jpg

This is the part that required extra work:

qxJCjui.jpg

Came out nice, fortunately:

VKEUM3a.jpg

I've started with very light and thin layers as I was warned the regular enamel would come across some problems with the galvanized tin sheets I used to make the IH body:

J9WNual.jpg

l6WN1tJ.jpg

I'm happy with the results, although there were very little spots because I did not used any primer. I know TCer @bromvw told me I was going to have problems with the galvanized metal, but still the three layers came out fine enough. Not perfect, but very very nice.

8Yg0QSd.jpg

Here it is the painted body, I need to work the detail on the grill, the seat, and apply the decals. All that is going to make it look more in tune with my initial idea ;)

6yar2qD.jpg

You all have a good Friday! :)

• Like 3

Always good to see this updated. I forgot to ask you, what photo server are you using now?? I might have to switch over myself soon.

It's been literally YEARS, and I am finally getting the steering linkage and the electronics done. As a matter of fact I've just come to run it a bit, and I am SMILING! :D

Special thanks to TCers @Crash Cramer for the vintage Parma steering bits, grey leatherette for the seat, oh! and the decals, and @Nobbi1977 from the UK for your generous help with the brand new Johnson 540 motor and mini quicrun ESC for this project!

some pictures below:

Electronics in place, 7,2v majorette batt pack, Futaba receiver, quicrun ESC, HiTec steering servo, etcetera...

2x6VT0l.jpg

Took me four long years to finally enjoy my custom tractor... :)

AS96kWb.jpg

A closer look at my steering linkage:

kGARE3F.jpg

Zx4hjGH.jpg

Here you can see the chassis layout from the underside:

G7AG1Qp.jpg

There is still detail to work on, but fortunately by now I am very close to completion.

0oMmXiA.jpg

You all have a good weekend! :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh my gosh Erich, that looks stellar. I am sure glad you ran it,how did it perform? Like you expected or better? Glad I could help in the smallest way, but this truly is making something out of nothing with your own handy work and time. What rear wheels are those? They look a bit better than the MB/BF you had on there before IMHO

That's looking great, Erich!

What's going on with those Wheely King tires and Blitz short course wheels?  Did you cut the face off the Blitz wheel and attach it to the Wheely King wheels and tires?

Thank you guys!

3 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

That's looking great, Erich!

What's going on with those Wheely King tires and Blitz short course wheels?  Did you cut the face off the Blitz wheel and attach it to the Wheely King wheels and tires?

Those came from a set of toy wheels that a local buddy gave to me years ago. I cut out the outer dish and found out they just snap in place alright. I am not that fond of them though, but they keep everyone from noticing I have different (and broken) wheels there (being Monster Beetle and Blackfoot parts). :)

21 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

Oh my gosh Erich, that looks stellar. I am sure glad you ran it,how did it perform? Like you expected or better? Glad I could help in the smallest way, but this truly is making something out of nothing with your own handy work and time. What rear wheels are those? They look a bit better than the MB/BF you had on there before IMHO

I only wanted it to run, you know a tractor is not a buggy (no suspension) and the cowl rattles when running. I'll have to address that problem later and I think I have to use a longer horn for the servo. Other than that, I'm happy and I think it is pretty much what I wanted it to look like and work.

You all have a good week! :)

A week ago a local enthusiast bought my Tractor. Little did I enjoyed driving it in the end. I needed some money and in a minute it crossed my mind to say "alright". And to make a long story short, it's not with me anymore. So here's the last looks for what was a long term project.

Not sure I'll ever get around building another, but in case that ever happens I know what to do now without making the initial mistakes related to the learning process. I loved the project, it was based on anything I could lay my hands on, some natural intuition, and the memories and desire to have one of the wonderful IH pulling tractors from the 80's ;)

Belly view:

A8.thumb.JPG.d29d8a3945594594ca915f371284e715.JPG

Cowl removed: the electronics all in place :)

A9c.JPG.f2c9db82454d2fb7126a425381ecd160.JPG

A piece of plastic and a knife was all I needed to make the grill...

A9d.JPG.003a9c841b3060ffbec6011541524701.JPG

A1.JPG.fb6b7649579ffdf182a07c5acdb4bdcb.JPG

A2.thumb.JPG.b88614b465c64bd3de62cf816541cb87.JPG

And this is what the new owner is doing with it. People know little of nothing about Tractor pulling down here! :rolleyes:

TztxnD3.jpg

So this is my goodbye to my IH tractor.

You all have a fantastic Sunday! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1