Sign in to follow this  
Daves956

What to call it and what to do with it

I'm debating what to do with this one. I'm leaning towards Ebaying it but I'm not sure exactly what it is. The more I dig into it the more names it gets. It could be a Great Vigor of a couple names, a Hobby Lobby hunter, Robbe Pantera, Jamara Tornado or a Prafa Tornado. There aren't a lot of documentation on any of them so telling them apart is pretty rough. I'm leaning toward it being the Hobby Lobby because of the lack of a front bumper and top mount for one but that's not much help really. I don't want to keep another 1/8th scale that doesn't do anything for me so any ideas or tips on this would be appreciated. Here's a picture of it.

DSCN04651.jpg

I'm not sure what your local market is for this type of thing Dave, but doubt you'd get a lot more for it with the motor and esc left in as selling as a chassis with the motor mount.

I won't leave the motor in it, I only put it in to see if the gearboxes were any good. It's a parts or rebuild sort of thing at best. I've looked it over to see if there's anything I'd keep as a part for later but there isn't. It's too big and ugly to keep around and without knowing what it is I don't see a way to put it on Ebay. I suspect that before this weekend is over it'll be out in the dumpster.

Hi,

That´s a Garbo/Robbe Panthera.

Edit:

Did some research and it seems to be a copy of the 1983 Serpent Cobra ORV.

I´ve allways thought it was produced by Garbo but when I flipped mine over, the bumper had a sticker saying "made in Taiwan" So much for the Italian take on it.

The bumper mounts directly on the aluminum that covers the diff.

Hi,

That´s a Garbo/Robbe Panthera.

Edit:

Did some research and it seems to be a copy of the 1983 Serpent Cobra ORV.

I´ve allways thought it was produced by Garbo but when I flipped mine over, the bumper had a sticker saying "made in Taiwan" So much for the Italian take on it.

The bumper mounts directly on the aluminum that covers the diff.

So a couple more names to the list. I've seen pictures of the front bumper mount and this one doesn't have a hole for the bolt in the front diff plate for it. The only other one I've seen pictures of like that is the Hobby Lobby hunter.

That's a total of at least 6 possible cars this could be. I did some digging on Ebay and NIB price is around 250 US and good used just over 100. It's not much of a collector or worth much as a restore project. The shocks might be it's best feature but still not much to speak of,, the rest isn't worth the hassle.

Rather than pitch it, I'll be taking it to one of the local hobby shops with a nitro motor I have no use for and donate it to a young kid that works there as a project. He and his dad are into the old stuff so it might be a good fit....It's the best idea I've had for it.

• Like 1