wood5tock

Wood5tock's Super Hornet II build

I had a go at fitting the original SH/GH2 gearbox mounting side plates and I have been having rather a lot of success :)

It's a great help having the original car to be able to swap parts to test theories out with. It's also great that Tamiya still give you a complete parts tree of the old parts even though there are only two parts used on the newer RF ;)

Here are the two mounting plates side by side (SH on the left RF on the right) as CoolJetta suggested the backlash is coming from the gearbox's freedom to move up the full length of travel once you travel forwards. In answer to your other question the spring is the same guage and strength as the original it's just next to useless with the RF's mounting geometry.

shii_89.jpg

Like I said bless Tamiya for letting you have all these spares in the lit still from the older model lets hope my theory works

shii_90.jpg

Another view from the outside of the older plates (top) and the newer plates (bottom) I recon there must be at least 25mm of difference bearing in mind they point in different directions :blink:

shii_91.jpg

A quick whizz of the magic screwdriver and guess what! It fits and works!!! :D

shii_92.jpg

So far a quick check over revealed that the springs are redundant so have been put in the spares box for now. the front moulding which the pivot rod goes through actually moves up and down very little, probably about 2-3mm thanks to the webs on the back face of the tub getting in the way as it were. I do however need to soak up the movement as I don't want the gearbox being damaged or it causing damage to the back of the tub, but thats for another evening. I have seen on here a nice mod being developed recently using a biro spring IIRC mounted within the side plates (can't remeber by who or where sorry) I think however I don't need this for this application but it's something to fall back on.

shii_93.jpg

And here are the two cars to compare

shii_94.jpg

shii_95.jpg

I do still like the lower stance at the rear of the SH so after I have sorted the issues surrounding the mounting I will be looking into the possibility of shorter rear dampers to mimic the SH. One of my main problems is the fact that the RF's rear dampers are mounted more or less directly to the gearbox whereas the SH has a subframe at the rear giving the damper a much shallower angle. But i likes a challenge ;)

shii_96.jpg

More to follow :)

I know it might cause other issues but have you thought about just putting a hornet gearbox on? It would keep it much closer to the original or do you think the newer gearbox is an improvement? as I think the diff in the older box is more than sufficient plus the rear track would be the same as the original plus you will be able to fit the original wheels a lot easier? you may still need a third shock mod? How does the SH compare in this regard. The only difference I can tell is the shock mounts but I'm only going on your pictures and not from any position of experience. Not sure that all made any sense 😕

Sorry you just answered most of my questions in the last post. I think the lower stance looks much better but would be better achieved with a subframe if you can fit one.

I'll be watching out for your 3rd shock mod, I have the Fighter too and the backlash noise is horrible! I await your next instalment!

Sorry you just answered most of my questions in the last post. I think the lower stance looks much better but would be better achieved with a subframe if you can fit one.

I really want to not go to mad or complex with the mods really so I will look for the simplest results as it is only a nostalgic basher :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are the gearbox mounting sideplates from the original SH the same as the hornet ones?

I don't know to be honest, but I wouldn't have thought so as the tubs are different

I'll be watching out for your 3rd shock mod, I have the Fighter too and the backlash noise is horrible! I await your next instalment!

Well at the moment I am not sure it needs it with the mod using the original side plates that you should also have had left over in your RF kit. But wait until I have fully looked at the different angles (literally) before doing anything, use mine as a test ;):)

Seems like the plates make quite a bit of difference on their own then? Maybe worth looking in to longer ones for one my hornets to see if I can do that instead of another 3rd shock mod. I'm curious to know if the RF ones will fit.

Really cool that you get all the extra parts in the kit so you can play around too. I'm getting very tempted to do something similar now 😬

Seems like the plates make quite a bit of difference on their own then? Maybe worth looking in to longer ones for one my hornets to see if I can do that instead of another 3rd shock mod. I'm curious to know if the RF ones will fit.

Really cool that you get all the extra parts in the kit so you can play around too. I'm getting very tempted to do something similar now 😬

The Rising Fighter and Super Hornet/Grasshopper II share the same chassis tub, so their gearbox mounting plates are interchangable. However this is not the same as the original Hornet/Grasshopper tub, which uses different gearbox mounts. The newer ones screw onto either side of the tub, while the older ones slide into slots on the back of the tub. The gearboxes themselves are of course interchangable though.

• Like 1

I can see they are different but that doesn't mean you cant make them fit

It will be tricky mate. As XV mentioned and now I have had a chance to look over the two manual you can see below the mounts for the original Hornet and Grasshopper slide in from the back similar to the Lunchbox, where as the RF/SH/GH2 fit in from the side.

Original Hornet and Grasshopper mounts

misc_12.jpg

Super Hornet, Grasshopper 2 and Rising Fighter (Rising Fighter obviously has different side mounting plates)

misc_13.jpg

The other thing you will notice with both images is that although both mounting plates attach differently the position and travel of both the Hornet and Super Hornet are more or less identical so even if you could mount them I don't think you would get the benefit that I will be getting from the mod I am doing. You maybe better off going for the third shock or the spring in the side plate mod I mentioned before.

I see what you mean. I've done the 3rd shock a few times and whilst on the lunchbox it isn't too bad it all gets a bit cramped when doining on a buggy. I like the idea of using a biro spring but not convinced the spring will be strong enough.

is the RF gearbox the same as the dt-01 box?

• Like 1

Is the RF gearbox the same as the dt-01 box?

It is indeed. It lends itself quite well to a 5th shock mod, as there is already an opening at the front that allows access to the steel pivot rod, for attaching the extra shock.

• Like 1

That looks like a nice mod but does it eliminate the need for a 5th shock mod? or does it just lower the stance/COG either way it looks cool. Will it fit the dt01 box and the hornet box?

It's usually used to move the shocks away from the motor on the lunchbox as when fitting 85mm shocks on the back they catch the motor.

The Lunchbox uses the Hornet rear axle AFAIK so this kit 'should' work with the Hornet too.

You would still need the 3rd/5th shock mod too though.

Unfortunately it doesn't work with the DT01 'box though, as the stock shock mounts are in a different location. It is nonetheless a sound concept, and someone who is handy with a CNC machine could no doubt knock up a similar solution for the DT01 'box.

Been doing some more tests and I think I am pretty well there with how I want the rear suspension set-up to be. As you know I wanted to have a lower rear stance, so I started by using the front CVA dampers off the SH which are 65mm. Whilst this gave the same stance as the SH I felt I needed more travel so pulled a couple of the 75mm Absima dampers off of my 'Lunchie'.

Even though I am a little compromised from the ideal hight I wanted I reckon this will be fine. As far as the bit of slop goes vertically on the pivot I am will leave it for now and see how it runs first and re-visit if necessary.

shii_97.jpg

The tub base is now pretty level with the 75mm dampers on :)

shii_98.jpg

shii_99.jpg

shii_100.jpg

shii_101.jpg

shii_102.jpg

Quickly used the new SH driver to make sure it all fits

shii_103.jpg

This made me have a break from rear ends and start putting the driver and spots together as I can feel my original plan of making sure the paint work done before the end slipping a bit.

shii_104.jpg

shii_105.jpg

Once again using my same technique as used on my Novafox. Glueing the halves together with liquid poly rather than using the screws

shii_106.jpg

Then filling the hole left :)

shii_107.jpg

shii_108.jpg

shii_109.jpg

For some reason the helmet halves had a few hairline gaps along the join. Odd because it's the same mould as the other set :blink: Must be losing my 'vice-like' grip in my old age :(:rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:

shii_110.jpg

• Like 2

WHEELS!!!

Right you lovely people I want wheel suggestions :)

Option 1 - Are there adaptors available that work in the reverse of 'Hex-Adaptors' or another way I could use the Original SH/Wild One type rear wheels.

Option 2 - If I need to keep hex style what can I use. So far the ones I like the look of are the ones on the DT02 Fighter Buggy SV which I assume are the same as the RF only black? I like both the wheels and tyres :)

misc_14.jpg

I have had a look around on the web at places like Tamico but can't find them for sale?

Other suggestions welcome, the only ones I really don't like are the big modern buggy wheels if you know what I mean :ph34r: like these, oh and gotta be Tamiya ;)

misc_15.jpg

My local hobby shop has a rising fighter he said I could have for £75... Can't say I'm not tempted to try something similar.

Would the mad bull body fit? I am thinking grasshopper 2

Whilst the bodies are essentially the same moulding the mountings seem to be different, there are also differences with the cutouts for the front shocks.

misc_16.jpg

misc_17.jpg

If you did go for it and got yourself a Grasshopper II shell you will probably need as I do the SH/GH2 front mount as the RF front mount is a screw down version rather than the more traditional 'R-Clip' version

shii_78.jpg

I would go for astute wheels on that. black light weights would look really good with the black body.

or another choice dyna storm wheels really easy to get as well.

• Like 1

Cheers for that buddy, while the body mount holes could probably be adapted easily the cut outs for the front shocks look a mile out. That's a shame as a mad bull shell is peanuts compared to a gh2 shell :(

• Like 1

How about a set of Tamiya Star Dish wheels as supplied with the Super Fighter GR? They are supplied white but take well to dyeing, so you could dye them orange if you wished. The fronts are nice and narrow in keeping with Super Hornet styling, and they aren't hugely expensive or hard to find.

• Like 1

If it was me I would try and find some SH wheels and failing all other attempts to fit them use a hornet gearbox to accommodate them. I just don't think it will look nearly as good without the orange wheels but that means firstly finding some and secondly fitting them. Have you got some decals lined up now?