Quilabong

I acquired a rare Snap-On Tools Lunch Box...

post-42255-0-85142800-1390281092_thumb.j

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but I recently acquired this Lunchbox from a work friend and I'm trying to find as much info on it as possible, I'm not a huge Lunch Box fan and am going to sell it but before I do I need to really know what i have. I know its rare and this this is near mint. I know the body was lexan and was made by Parma but other then that, that's all I know. Trying to find out what it might be worth and If anybody can help I would be much appreciative. Any questions feel free to ask. I have more pictures too.

not sure but the shell is obviously not Tamiya, I've never seen white VLB wheels before so thats interesting.

I'm sure someone else will have some more info for you.

white VLB wheels were rare at one stage... but afaik recently recycled on the Willy's Kombi & Jimny

white VLB wheels were rare at one stage... but afaik recently recycled on the Willy's Kombi & Jimny

they still are as the willy wheels have hex on the rear. ;-)

they still are as the willy wheels have hex on the rear. ;-)

actually no, we're wrong... I was thinking of the "CW-01" Dakar Montero (re-re Pajero)

& got crossed with the WR-02 Samba. The Jimny comes on both! :)

Pie drive VLB = CW-01

That's a difficult one to price as it falls into 'it's worth what people are prepared to pay' category.

Personally i would stick it on eBay as an auction but advertise it world wide as Snap-On are an international brand so it could attract quite a bit of attention. Probably best to start the bidding low but put a reserve on just in case.

That was my posting from over 7 years ago. Since then I've been able to source a couple more. One with a really mint body, a new body that I stuck a FedUp logo on and a new sticker sheet.

Snap On Lunch Box

081011009.jpg

FedUp Lunchbox body

081011014.jpg

I used a set of JPS aluminum wheels instead of the stockers. All three of my Vans came with white painted wheels so there is nothing special there.

As for value, bought mine before the VLB rerelease so I paid a premium. The rere's killed the value on the originals. There is no question that they are truly rare. So it's all about what someone is willing to pay

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your help :) I already started a eBay listing but saved it for now till I toss around what i should start the bidding for. I was thinking starting it at $350-375 with a buy it now at $400 you think that's a good idea or is that too high? I'm really in the dark about what the worth is so i'm just guessing. Any opinions?

I think your pricing may be a bit optimistic. The lunchbox rere has really brought the price of the originals down. I'd list it for $150 start and see where it ends up.

• Like 1

I agree with Shodog, start lower to gain interest but set a reserve at the minimum you want to sell it for.

• Like 1

I agree with Steve and Shodog. It's a nice and pretty rare model, but it's a "distributor special"; ie. wasn't delivered as this combination of body, painted wheels and CW-01 chassis from the Tamiya factory.

There exist quite a few different "distributor specials", like the Nascar Tamtech, Prodrive Impreza, 722SLR, Millenium Bug, the locally (in Germany) "factory"-built Benetton F1 and multiple combinations of Tamiya chassises and Carson bodies (just to name a few), and though a few of them are pretty nice, they don't appeal much to most diehard Tamiya collectors and thus don't reach high prices.

Or in other words, to get a premium for the Snap-On van, you most likely need the attention of a potential buyer (or several to outbid each other) who appreciates it for other reasons than why vintage original Tamiya models are generally considered collectible and valuable.

Either way, good luck! :-)

Agree with the above serious price but I'd also suggest you take advantage of a free listing day and put it up starting at whatever higher price you want. It's not going to cost you anything and it will generate interest. Besides you may find that odd looney that'll pay crazy money for it.

Do that a few times and if it's hasn't sold then relist at the sensible price, anyone that's been following it (and a lot of us do that) may jump at the chance to snap it up.

I've done this a couple of times, relisting something on free days, gradually reducing the price down and getting lots of watchers but no bids. Then suddenly someone bids and it takes off and can eventually go passed the initial starting price if you're lucky!

Or have you considered selling the body separately? I doubt it would be run hard on that chassis as it's asking to be rolled. It would look great on a more scale road chassis though. Make an excellent SWAT van or bullet riddled as seen in Terminator 2.

not sure about the in the States but I would be surprised to see that sell for more than £100 tops over here but you never know. You might find someone that collects snap on stuff and also is clued up on Tamiya?

• Like 1

eh... is that sold by Snap-On and is considered a genuine Snap-On product?

I'm thinking of their Lifetime New-For-Old Replacement Warranty... ;)

• Like 1

I think anyone who is into Lunchbox's is going to really want this rare version but the list of people who are really into lunchbox's isn't very big

I think anyone who is into Lunchbox's is going to really want this rare version but the list of people who are really into lunchbox's isn't very big

I'm definitely into Lunchboxes and would buy the Snap-On body at a reasonable price (up to about $50), especially if I could have it uncut and unpainted.

Some may be willing to pay more, but with new CW-01 kits available for significantly less than $150 (depending on the part of the world), I think it will be really hard to find a buyer who is willing to pay $200-250 more to get an original release chassis with the Snap-On body. The period correct radio and charger are nice, but not hard to source separately for peanuts and thus probably won't help much to motivate bidders.

I find this thread a little distasteful, it kind of comes across as 'trying to make a quick buck'. Sorry if that's not the case but it does read that way.

• Like 2

All three of my Vans came with white painted wheels so there is nothing special there.

I partially take back what I said. two of my Vehicles had white painted wheels but one of them has wheels molded in wite instead of yellow

Rolling around looking for decal photos I stumbled onto this thread. I appreciate the link to my VLB transformed into the Snap On truck, but a better link for the actual product Snap On delivered to the customer could be found here:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=47139&sid=14996

If you are fortunate enough to find an old hobby shop, they may have the Parma body for sale in the dusty "seconds" bin I have looked through all my reference material and don't seem to come up with the part number at all.

I do know the decals were also sold as a separate unit and that is how I was able to turn a white molded VLB body into my mini Snap On machine. It was simply labeled SNAP ON TOOLS on the Parma decal sheet and there is a small possibility you might find them shopping on eBay, but you have to keep a sharp eye or find someone detailed enough to spell it out for you. I looked for my decals for almost 2 years before finding them. On that note, I didn't need all the decals, so if you are reading this and would like to take these extra decals off me, contact me and I will shoot you a photo of what is here that can be placed on your very own Snap On truck.

To me the pillsberry dough boy white is just a tad too white. I would get a fine black marker and high light all the windows , doors, opennings, creases just to give it some depth. Just my lines of thought...

Ooo and like those cromed wheels, matches the colour of the rachets and sockets of their tools.