vrs55

nihm or lipo

I run my battery down by setting my car up on a box and running it until battery is low then charge ready for taking out the next morning

Exactly how I do it too..:-)

Exactly how I do it too..:-)

Yes I find it works quite well doing it this was I have ordered an overlander charger which I will be able to discharge the batteries with a swell.

bit of a late post I got a couple of lipos about a month ago cant believe the difference in speed and also the run time also couldn't believe how light they are compared to nihm

Do you guys who still run NiMh have any good sources for good and affordable battery packs? Used to buy from a company on US ebay but can't find them anymore.

I moved to Lipo some time ago and like most i wouldn't buy another Nimh, but when i did buy them i only ever used Vapextech, really good price and they lasted forever.

Do you guys who still run NiMh have any good sources for good and affordable battery packs? Used to buy from a company on US ebay but can't find them anymore.

I bought my nihm from time tunnel models

I moved to Lipo some time ago and like most i wouldn't buy another Nimh, but when i did buy them i only ever used Vapextech, really good price and they lasted forever.

Yes I just changed to using lipo a couple of months ago a lot longer run time a lot faster a cost the same as nihm I started this thread thinking I would never change to lipo but now I have won't be using nihm again but if you still would prefer nihm I found the ansmann 4000mah one time tunnel models sell lasted ages

Ha ha, too scared of burning my house down is more like it :blink:

I kid I kid, I've got nicads from 10-15 years ago, some older than that and they still work.

I do have some of the nmh's that I plan to use in my Hi Lift and some of the newer models I have, most of my old cars have old electronics, so they are happy with the nicads.

I recently upgraded to Lipo, only have the one Vapex tech stick pack and a couple of soft-packs for my 1/16 so far, but whilst initially apprehensive of them reading all of the horror stories online the benefits far outweighs the 'actual' problems encountered in real life.

It's one of those things where 'RTFM' applies heavily! If you fail to observe safe practice and do your research then you're going to have a bad time. If you monitor your batteries, charge them correctly and don't leave them unattended and most importantly; store them in something fire-proof, I can't see any reason not to recommend them.

When working at Time Tunnel Models however you learn that a high proportion of the general public are positively retarded and could barely be entrusted with a set of metal cutlery, let alone anything which could potentially burn your house down if you're not sensible.

I think that's probably why Neil doesn't sell them, since the amount of calls he would likely receive as a direct result of 'user incompetence' would probably be a full time job for a new member of staff!

Leave those 'plastic cutlery users' to it and only ever consider upgrading to lipo if you're going to treat it with the utmost respect. Even when mine are in their safety bag I treat them like some kind of volatile IED! Better safe than sorry

• Like 2

I'm still using nicads :o

Glad to hear I am not the only one! (Although to be honest, I also have a couple of NiMH packs for my newer cars.)

• Like 1

you learn that a high proportion of the general public are positively retarded and could barely be entrusted with a set of metal cutlery, let alone anything which could potentially burn your house down if you're not sensible.

Anyone who has worked with members of "the public"... can I get an Amen! :D

Anyone who has worked with members of "the public"... can I get an Amen! :D

Amen!

I've worked in a car dealer all my working life and I am still even now amazed at how blasé people are over their own personal safety! Just the other day we had a woman who wanted to take her car even though we had told her the brake lines had ruptured and were leaking brake fluid!

Amen! I work in an appliance repair centre, and I have lost count of the number of times we have been asked to repair "faulty" goods that are actually working just fine, but are being used by folk who don't read the manual...

I use to working in a car breakdown call centre and those members of the public that were particularly "hard of thinking" never ceased to amaze me. One of the stand out ones was a rather angry lady that was attempting to put diesel into her petrol Smart car. Fortunately for her she was using one of the newer diesel pumps that deliberately had a wider nossle so you shouldnt be able to fit it into a petrol filling tube. That didnt stop her of course as she was far too cleaver to be out foxed by mere health and safey measures. So not only was she was filling up while on her mobile phone to me (which petrol forecourts say is a big no no), but I assume she held the phone against her shoulder so she could use her free hand to make a kind of scoop or funnel under the filling tube and pour the diesel over her hand and into the tank... :rolleyes: Now i dont know about you but I wouldve thought that at some point an alarm wouldve rung in her head to point out you shouldnt have to cover yourself in fuel everytime you fill up, its kind of dangerous and doesnt smell very nice.

Thats not the best bit though. The reason she'd phoned the breakdown company was because the diesel had splashed on her new shoes, ruining them and she wanted to complain :blink:

I use to working in a car breakdown call centre and those members of the public that were particularly "hard of thinking" never ceased to amaze me. One of the stand out ones was a rather angry lady that was attempting to put diesel into her petrol Smart car. Fortunately for her she was using one of the newer diesel pumps that deliberately had a wider nossle so you shouldnt be able to fit it into a petrol filling tube. That didnt stop her of course as she was far too cleaver to be out foxed by mere health and safey measures. So not only was she was filling up while on her mobile phone to me (which petrol forecourts say is a big no no), but I assume she held the phone against her shoulder so she could use her free hand to make a kind of scoop or funnel under the filling tube and pour the diesel over her hand and into the tank... :rolleyes: Now i dont know about you but I wouldve thought that at some point an alarm wouldve rung in her head to point out you shouldnt have to cover yourself in fuel everytime you fill up, its kind of dangerous and doesnt smell very nice.

Thats not the best bit though. The reason she'd phoned the breakdown company was because the diesel had splashed on her new shoes, ruining them and she wanted to complain :blink:

she sounds more than a bit batty! although this had to have been the first time she tried this, as a petrol motor will konk out trying to burn diesel. diesel is kerosene! basically like lamp oil. she wouldn't have risked it exploding, as it doesn't do that, but chances are she didn't get very far after that call.

I wouldn't run lipo WITHOUT adjustable low voltage cut off on ESC and charger. full stop.

lipo gives amazing amazing performace that are cheaper than nimh battery. But there is crap and good lipo batteries though.

My charger is all in 1, that charges lipo/life, nimh, NiCad, pb cell with balancer function. it is useful.

lol @ any nickle batteries. I would love to someone try to race them these days.