ddaenen1

To Astute or not to Astute...that's the question

Hello fellow TC'ers. I am going to need some serious help on this one!

I mentioned somewhere else that i had acquired an Astute. My next project after the 2K1 and the DS are finished.

I went to pick it up today but at first glance there are so many parts missing that i am considering selling it again as parts as a first look on the usual spare part sources weren't very encouraging. Maybe i am overreacting..don't know :unsure:

First question: does anybody have a pdf version of the manual? Can't seem to get it at my normal sources and i need it to be able to make an inventory of everyting that is missing.

All FRP parts are there and in good shape which is a very good thing. The chassis plate looks like new. The gearbox is complete and all arms are in good shape. Knuckles front and rear are missing, swingshafts are missing and so on and so forth. No dampers but i intended to put hicaps on it anyways and i can always use my original 2K1s to start with.

So all in all, i need good tips to sources for Astute spare parts, new or used, as long as functional. Once i have the manual a (long) list of parts needed will follow. If i detect it get too difficult, i may make an Astute fan happy with some very good spare parts in the sales section ;)

Pictures will follow...

Based on what you've said, I suggest you get 2 x Stadium Blitzer C parts and some DF02 or DF03 swing shafts. The SB front C hubs might even work with the arms you have, plus some F103 or Madcap knuckle arms and some dampers and you're back in the game.

I look forward to seeing your list and some pics !

• Like 1

To Astute or not to Astute? The answer is: to Astute!

You will find many great resources here, too, to make such an acquisition a reliable runner. We look forward to updates!

• Like 1

Go for it! Part of the fun is sourcing out the parts, modding it and making it stronger than ever.

Def keep and source the parts. For now just fit a load of madcap parts to get it running. Then as parts become available buy them along the way perhaps? Then you can have fun running it as well as sourcing for a full rebuild?

James

Thats where a tablet pc comes in handy. ;) i have a windows surface pro and its the best thing i have bought in ages. Can download manuals and use on the go when rebuilding things, look up issues when if i come across issues with a build. ;)

James

:

Well, here the first pics. This is what and how i got it.

4.jpeg

7.jpeg

Having looked at it again, it doesnt look so bad afterall. In summary, the steering is toast and the front drivetrain part. In the rear, both knuckles and the shafts are missing. I still have one spare from the DS, might be the same.

The body is bin material. The wing looks useable and ofcourse i need some dampers. I will probably put hicaps on it.

What do you guys think?

Personally that body and wing can easily be saved to look fantastic imo. Looks like a cracking purchase.

James

:

Personally that body and wing can easily be saved to look fantastic imo. Looks like a cracking purchase.

James

:

It doesn't show on the picture but the body has a large crack on the right side next to the cockpit.

Ah fair enough. Worth selling on perhaps or used as a runner body. Loads of people always looking for even used bodies and parts etc.

James

:

Ok, got the manual now. The critical parts that i am missing seem to be the D-parts tree numbers 2 and 3 (steering) and number 5. And C-parts front and rear knuckles. Anybody has one of these spare? Can be used as long as it is fully functional.

Sounds like a nice little project.

PM sent re manual

Also have a read through this article , might change your required parts list and madcap bits are fairly plentiful...

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/article.asp?id=94

Very interesting article. Those madcap front knuckles seem the same as F103 knuckles, right? I still have the knuckles from my Hornet but i think i will get an aluminium set like i did for the Hornet or a carbon reinforced set.

Front brace is a must, believe me.

Max

So far, i haven't found an Astute front brace nor a Madcap version. Without this part, no way i can start the restoration. :unsure: If anybody has a source, much appreciated.

You can built a brace by yourself but you must be able with craftworks.

I did it on my old Astute runner.

Max

So far, i haven't found an Astute front brace nor a Madcap version. Without this part, no way i can start the restoration. :unsure: If anybody has a source, much appreciated.

Sorry, i don't mean the brace, i mean the main part that connects that damper stay and the suspension to the chassis plate. This is the first one i need.

I thought the Super Astute had a front brace as well, in the 'G' parts tree. But the Astute main part is on the 'D' parts tree.

I can see one online, but for some ridiculous money...

Ok, you need the front bulkhead. I highly suggest the brace also. You can choose from Astute/Super Astute to Madcap bulkhead, they are compatible someway, check my articles about. But in any case you need absolutelly the brace, Super Astute G4 if I remember well or the Madcap one.

Max

Ok, you need the front bulkhead. I highly suggest the brace also. You can choose from Astute/Super Astute to Madcap bulkhead, they are compatible someway, check my articles about. But in any case you need absolutelly the brace, Super Astute G4 if I remember well or the Madcap one.

Max

Let me first get my hands on a bulkhead, so i can start this restoration :mellow: