Shodog

Shodog's RC4WD Gelande

This should be a fun project.

image_zps46ce5120.jpg

The chassis doesn't appear too complicated. Along with the kit I bought a set of the Land Rover Discovery aluminum wheels

image_zpsc83b2465.jpg

image_zps0ef5220e.jpg

The body will be a lot of work. This morning I tried out some new paint I've never used. It's a Boyd Coddington color call Chelzoom teal pearl. It looks fantastic in the sunlight.

image_zpsef050907.jpg

This is the end result I'm shooting for

image_zps583cc316.jpg

The body will take the most time so I started it first. For Christmas I bought myself one of the Landy racks from eBay. It needed a little bit of adjustment on the attach points. Drilled the mount holes and bolted it up for a test fit

image_zpsebd7afce.jpg

Next was addressing the mold flashing. There were several area of excessive flash. Plus the roof had some waviness. I filled in the imperfections with Bondo glazing putty. Just have to get some 400 grit to knock it down and sand it smooth.

image_zps84aa0212.jpg

Here is the chassis at step 23 in the manual.

image_zps5cd5abff.jpg

Once the glazing putty dried I sanded it smooth. Then washed the body with Soap and water to remove any residual mold release.

image_zps897bb10e.jpg

Then sprayed the body with Tamiya fine line primer. This primer is super thin so it doesn't gum up any of the details

image_zps1ce6b113.jpg

While the primer was drying I fInished off the chassis. By far the hardest part was getting the tires to sit right in the bead locks.

image_zpsebd1532f.jpg

• Like 3

Very Nice Wheels. I guess you are going to built it for the off road look. with thoes wheels i would get chunky tires and turn her into a kahn defender, similar to your reference photo of tge 1:1. I think defender actually makes a sport version and it looks nasty. Not for off roading but to blow the doors of some unexpected hot hatch. look forward to your build.

The only pet pev for the body is those screw holes for the windows, which means one has to paint a rubber trim around the windows edge to hide it. This is where one piece glass like the pajero on the cc/xc is better on the tamiya.

I like this already . Off road look Land Rovers are too common IMO . A basically stock one will make a nice change from the norm . Many owners fit the Discovery wheels to Bling Up a Defender so this is spot on . The tyres look fine to me - very scale .

Shot the first can of paint on the body. I'm loving the color but not loving the paint. The tip would clog and spit drops on the body. So I had to start the paint off the body then spray over the body. This wasted a lot of paint into the air. Tonight I'll wet sand the color coat to flatten the paint then respray some finish coats with another can I bought. Once that is cured I'll move onto the clear coats.

3A741142-AC33-4EB5-A4AB-BEC295AE0137_zps

Today I sanded the paint down with 1500 grit paper. Before spraying I warmed a new can of Chezoom in my jacuzzi and shook the badword out of it. the final color coats came out really nice I didn't find any blemishes when I was done.

image_zpsb511f2b5.jpg

I let the paint cure for a day then I'll start laying down the clear coats.

I took a couple of outdoor shots of the chassis. Having built 3 RC4WD chassis (TF1,TF1J,TF2) I have to say this is the best one yet. It's really well engineered.

image_zps82dac784.jpg

image_zpsbc03ef85.jpg

At first the color chosen wouldn't be color of my choice...but looking at it a few more times it kind of grows on you.. Is reminded me of a car i had was in british racing green...not my color of choice but was the only one left and the dealer offered a good discount and it turned out i really like that color in the end. I call this suttle beauty...not love at first sight but slowly wins you over.

loving the colour - its very classy . Going for a black roof ?

loving the colour - its very classy . Going for a black roof ?

I used Chezoom teal on my first mod clod - nice bluey green shade. And yes I've found both Testors and Pactra cans do tend to spit n spurt a lot unless you really warm them up first (perhaps a British weatehr thing !)

The second can went on a lot smoother than the first. I shook the can for a good 5 minutes before spraying. I like the color as it's similar to the color of my Ford Bronco

iphonepics301.jpg

Plus i wanted to do something different than the scungy looking land rovers everybody makes. I plan to go with a Matt black roof and fender flares

It's been slow going letting the paint cure. Two days ago I shot 4 coats of clear on the body. I let the body cure all day yesterday. Today I taped off the body to paint the roof and fender flares.

image_zpsa1d3c538.jpg

I sanded the roof smooth then used a tack cloth to clean the debris off before laying down the Tamiya matt black

image_zps97e512d1.jpg

It turned out nicely. Next up will be installing windows and other body bits. Not loving the chrome that comes with the kit so I may spray it all matt black also.

A little interim pic with the body mounted on the chassis. I need to make some paint masks for windows so that I can paint the outer edges to hide the mounting points. I also need to assemble the interior.

image_zpsb95f3280.jpg

• Like 3

This is scaletastic, great work there. :)

Also love the scenic shot with the Bronco ;)

• Like 1

Awsome!

I love the wheel/tire/body package.

Do people in the California run black roofs? In Australia roofs are either body colour or white... it's too hot for a black roof here.

Shodog this is starting to look excellent . One detail I would change though is the Chrome grill and headlight surrounds . They should really be black . I'd strip the chrome off - bleach will do the job , and paint them flat black to match the roof . Far more Land Rover correct .

Also love the scenic shot with the Bronco ;)

Thanks, it was taken at 9000+ feet overlooking Lake Tahoe from Nevada

I love the wheel/tire/body package.

Do people in the California run black roofs? In Australia roofs are either body colour or white... it's too hot for a black roof here.

I love the wheels also. I sat on the fence on whether to get them as they were expensive at $165 with Tax and shipping. I'm glad I did because they look really nice and give it a scale appearance

In Cali there are places that get as hot at Australia but usually people buy a vehicle equipped with A/C. I went with a black top as I thought a white top wouldn't go well with the color of paint I chose.

Shodog this is starting to look excellent . One detail I would change though is the Chrome grill and headlight surrounds . They should really be black . I'd strip the chrome off - bleach will do the job , and paint them flat black to match the roof . Far more Land Rover correct .

I'm not loving the chrome either. It looks too toyish. I want to get one of the metal grills from eBay and paint it matt black along with the headlight surrounds. RC4WD makes a diamond plate kit, I wish I could buy just the vent grills only.

Great looking rig so far :) Been out of the scale rig world for a while and its great to see proper scale trucks available off the shelf with such detail.

Great looking rig so far :) Been out of the scale rig world for a while and its great to see proper scale trucks available off the shelf with such detail.

you may want to check out skottoman's defender build in page 2 of Other Makes forum. will blow you away.

• Like 1