Mokei Kagaku

New release: Tamiya DT-03 Neo Fighter Buggy

Unless like the dt02 some models will have the friction ahocks with certain other ones with cva shocks and posaibly a few other bits and bobs added.

James

did a translator says

Neo fighter buggy Tamiya presents the successor of the bestseller among the 2WD RC buggy, the super fighter G. The neo fighter with good 40 cm longer become offers even more directional stability at fast trips thanks to the now larger wheelbase. From the spring of 2014 the Tamiya fighter of neo as a kit will be offered and have an MSRP of under 80,-euros.

The narrow, almost tubular DT-03 chassis includes electronics and mechanics is well protected. Independent suspension, differential, shock absorber and the flexible polycarbonate body are among the standard equipment. The highlight is the electronic controller, which is suitable both for brush and brushless motors.

Hop-up part number 54567 is shown as referring to a set of CVA dampers for the DT03. Do we then take it that the stock items are cleverly-disguised pogo sticks? They look like CVAs to me...

According to rc-news.de, the Neo Fighter comes with CVA's. 54567 are as far as I understand white coloured CVA's, but this information isn't fully verified yet.

Well I am a little torn, I actually quite like it but like most modern buggy's I find it a little bland. I like the addition of 'no guts, no glory' on the wing like old school tamiya's and I think the stickers are generally pretty good.

The thing is its not really a racers car so that puts it in the basher fold and for a basher I would really like to see more scale features, why cant tamiya build a new car in the style of the old kits? Not unlike what they did with the holiday buggy 2010.

Take a capable chassis and give it a high detail body, driver, nerf bars etc. I am sure they would sell plenty.

I actually really like Tamiya's approach to their cheaper buggy kits. Whereas many other manufacturers try to make cheap race-grade cars that are fast and light, but end up being weak due to low-cost materials, Tamiya makes them (relatively) slow and heavy, but simple and tough. They may not win many races, but are more likely to still be operational in a few years' time, making them great for beginners and bashers alike.

• Like 3

There's a bit of Marui Hunter there as well. Needs big knobby tires on smaller-diameter wheels out back.

And did I read that right? Brushless-compatible ESC in the box? Suppose a lipo cutoff is too much to ask for...

And the first hop-ups for the DT-03 are, as can be expected from Tamiya, already in the pipeline:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=72261

Intriguing. My guess is these might be just different coloured shocks?

I had a close look at the stock shocks, and they seem to be oil filled CVAs, not the "CVA-lookalike" pogo sticks of the TT-01/02.

Visit http://www.facebook.com/mokeikagaku for the latest information about future Tamiya items and more.

If you edit your forums signature, you can have your text automatically generated for every post:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=signature

This should save you lots of repetitive work :)

• Like 1

did a translator says

"... The highlight is the electronic controller, which is suitable both for brush and brushless motors."

A new ESC? I do like the compatibility involved; it would be a big step forward for any Tamiya ESC included in a kit.

Intriguing. My guess is these might be just different coloured shocks?

I had a close look at the stock shocks, and they seem to be oil filled CVAs, not the "CVA-lookalike" pogo sticks of the TT-01/02.

Yes, as I posted above, "54567 DT-03 CVA Damper Set" are as far as I understand white coloured CVA's, but this information isn't fully verified yet.

If you edit your forums signature, you can have your text automatically generated for every post:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=signature

This should save you lots of repetitive work :)

Thank you very much! I suspected that this possibility existed, but I'm an absolute idiot on anything computer-related, so didn't figure it out myself.

• Like 1

If the DT02 is an evolution of the old Falcon/Bear Hawk platform, I'm hoping that this is an Evolution of the Madcap. What I'd like to see is a more adjustable gear box, in terms of finer pitch gears and more than two choices of pinion. Maybe have a sliding motor mount with pinions ranging from 12 to 23. Might need two sizes of spur gear for that, just like a Madcap/Astute. A ball diff as standard (like a 2WD version of the re-re Egress model) would be nice too, although a geared diff might be better for novices, with a ball diff upgrade option. At the front, twin bellcrank steering is a must, preferably something that can be upgraded with a ballraced unit. Maybe the bulges in the body are there to accommodate bellcranks.

I like the initial external design, but I hope it isn't a just a rehash of the Falcon/Bear Hawk/DT02 platform underneath.

From what I can see of the DT-03 hop up pictures, which Mokei posted on his facebook site, I think chances are bad for a sophisticated steering setup and a sliding motor mount.

I guess the DT-02 gearbox will return for the DT-03, so one proprietary spur gear and two pinion choices. The steering servo is now aligned vertically (instead of horizontally), with the servo outdrive aiming downwards.

From Mokei's pictures, the main chassis tub (or spaceframe a la Frog... or monocoque a la TL-01) seems to have an upper deck in the cockpit area, where the ESC and receiver may sit. Underneath is space for a battery, apparently a rectangle profile LiFe or LiPo battery is shown.

It would be good to have the pictures reposted here in this thread, so you guys can judge for yourselves.

My guess is the DT03 is a DT02 with a new tub, new damper stays, new bumper, and new body. The tires, wheels, knuckles, hubs, suspension arms, screw pins all look the same. I suspect the steering is still direct from the servo saver horn, and the rear gearbox is still a DT02 gearbox.

EDIT: GregM beat me by a minute!

• Like 1

At your service GregM.

Yes, obviously direct mount servo saver with equal length tie-rods. At least a small improvement over the DT-02. And considering how close the two lower front suspension arms are to each other, I don't see the lack of a double bellcrank steering as a big problem. It's an entry level buggy after all!

Battery installed from above and not via battery door from below DF-03 style like I suspected when I saw the pic of the model itself this morning. Chassis seems to be split longitudinally ORV-style!

1796567_443346935792248_205007055_n.jpg1604523_443347275792214_1724920550_n.jpg1795623_443347692458839_413923343_n.jpg1661687_443347082458900_6758546_n.jpg

• Like 2

Having a look at those pictures on Facadebook, and with two ball studs on the servo saver... Well that doesn't suggest twin bellcranks to me. A missed opportunity for a better handling beginners buggy, if you ask me. Better hope for an improved drivetrain then.

Or wait for a DT04 :P

Actually how they have mounted the servo and the equal tie rod lengths will be ok. It is what we kinda thought (a DT02 evo) but it will cheap to upgrade a dt02 to dt03 spec and you can mod the gearbox for more pinions if you want to

• Like 1

Thanks for the pictures and your insights, Mokei. You must be a very busy man, gathering and sharing all that pre-release information. :)

It's good to have the battery loaded apparently from above. I do not appreciate bottom-loading mechanisms with battery trap doors, as these either tend to get stuck from dirt (Kyosho Sandmaster EZ) or just fall off, spilling the guts on the ground (Grasshopper, Hornet).

• Like 1

54560 DT-03 Lightweight Gear Shaft 5x45mm (2 Pcs.) => 1660299_443319772461631_1457437241_n.jpg

2 pcs. 5x45mm shafts are also used in the DT-02 gearbox, so the gearbox used for the DT-03 is possibly a carry-over from the DT-02, like some you suspect.

those shaft came as standard in the sand viper .. qatmix will be cutting slot in to my gearbox for more pinion options easy mod done before with my old grasshopper .. and will buy chassis and up grade my dt-02 to a dt-03

those shaft came as standard in the sand viper ..

54560 are the hollow option shafts, which, if I recall correctly, were only included in the DT-02MS and available as a spare part in the DT-02MS Screw Bag D (# 9465724), but none of the other DT-02 kits. But then again, the DT-02MS is a hopped up Sand Viper.... :P

Tamiya seem to be playing it safe with the color scheme. Iconic blue and white in a simple design. It's almost retro. It certainly beats the crud out the crazy paint jobs alot of the buggies have had in recent years.

As mentioned, and looking quite evident, the chassis certainly seems to be a space frame or box type similar to those found on some of the front wheel drive tourers and minis (M03/FF02). That should provide a very strong, non flexible base to hang the rest of the gear off. Maybe a double deck frp upgrade could be an option.

Does the front kick up angle look different from Dt02?

I thought the same. There certainly appears to be a fair degree of kick up there. And now I'm thinking about caster blocks.