Mokei Kagaku

New release: Tamiya DT-03 Neo Fighter Buggy

54560 are the hollow option shafts, which, if I recall correctly, were only included in the DT-02MS and available as a spare part in the DT-02MS Screw Bag D (# 9465724), but none of the other DT-02 kits. But then again, the DT-02MS is a hopped up Sand Viper.... :P

they were in my viper kit as when m8 got dg had sold shafts

I can confirm that my NIB Sand Viper comes with the hollow shafts, not solid. Just checked the parts bag in the kit.

All basic DT-02 spec cars (Super Fighter G/GR, Holiday Buggy, Sand Rover, Fighter Buggy SV) and all RTRs had solid gearbox shafts. Only the kit variants of the advanced spec (Desert Gator, Sand Viper, Neo Falcon) had hollow shafts. Their RTR counterparts didn't, since all DT-02 RTRs were build in basic spec class:

- friction shocks

- plastic upper arms

- plastic bushings (no ball bearings)

- solid gearbox shafts

- slotted diff outdrive gears

- plastic diff cups and driveshafts

The DT-02 Nissan Titan kit placed itself somewhere in the middle between basic and advanced spec class.

The DT-02MS (essentially something like a "DT-02 Pro") came with alloy dampers, ball diff, universal shafts, adjustable turnbuckles, motor heat sink and reinforced servo saver, only DT-02 hop-up missing from that kit was the stabilizer set.

I wonder what the longer DT-03 wheelbase does to the turning circle?

EDIT: Guys, keep an eye on the German Dickie-Tamiya product site of the DT-03 Neo Fighter Buggy. They're most times the first to upload the kit build manual and close-up pictures, preceding Tamiya USA and maybe even Tamiya Japan:

http://www.tamiya.de/de/produkte/rcmodellautos/bausatzelektro/produktdetails.htm?sArtNr=300058587

DT-03 Neo Fighter Buggy specifications taken from Dickie-Tamiya and translated to English by myself:

- front bumper

- double wishbones

- independent front and rear suspension

- oil dampers

- 2WD rear driven

- differential

- polycarbonate body

- Torque Tuned 540 electric motor

- electronic speed control TLBE-02S (for brushed and brushless motors)

- pin spike rear tires

- ribbed front tires

• Like 1

More information on the TLBE-02S:

Brushless motors: Sensored only. 10.5 Turns limit.

Brushed motors: RS-540, Torque Tuned and Sport Tuned.

Max. current draw from motor: 60A continuous.

LiFe cutoff: yes.

LiPo cutoff: no.

BEC: yes

A chassis pic:

1625600_443523895774552_293997176_n.jpg

Seems like all the electronics are sitting high up, raising the center of gravity. Surely that's going to make the car a bit unstable and easy to roll in the corners. I don't know what goes on at Tamiya Towers, but someone needs to tell them, that although old and common, a wine glass shaped tub chassis/pan is perfectly fine in any 2WD off roader.

if anyone builds this and doesn't paint it pink and white they should be ashamed of themselves

• Like 4

A little update: Tamiya Japan is referring to the Neo Fighter as "Neo Frog". Not really a surprise.

That sounds so much better than Neo Fighter Buggy. "Fighter Buggy" might have become some sort of brand name for Tamiya's entry level buggies.

However I'm honest, I could never stand the "Fighter Buggy" name at all, since it sounds so childish and uninspired.

Fighter Buggy RX, Super Fighter G, Fighter Buggy SV, Rising Fighter... cool cars, awful names.

What has happened to all the animal themed buggies from the late '80s and early '90s? Fox, Hornet, Frog, Grasshopper.

At least the '05 Desert Gator body looked like a crocodile snout. I would love to see Tamiya reviving the trend of animal buggies.

• Like 1

I have to disagree I think it looks spot on. I can see me buying one of these and using one of my spare original frog decal sheets on it.

• Like 1

Even more pictures: http://www.rc-news.de/01/2014/spielwarenmesse-2014-tuningteile-fuer-tamiya-dt-03/ Full option. CVA dampers are depicted as hop-ups.

spielwarenmesse-2014-d9p6t.jpg

Rear view. Looks like the DT-02 gearbox.

Source (AND even MUCH MORE pics)

http://tamiyablog.com/2014/01/tamiya-news-at-international-toy-fair-nuremberg-2014-part-2-58587-110-rc-neo-fighter-buggy-dt-03/

• Like 2

That sounds so much better than Neo Fighter Buggy. "Fighter Buggy" might have become some sort of brand name for Tamiya's entry level buggies.

However I'm honest, I could never stand the "Fighter Buggy" name at all, since it sounds so childish and uninspired.

Fighter Buggy RX, Super Fighter G, Fighter Buggy SV, Rising Fighter... cool cars, awful names.

What has happened to all the animal themed buggies from the late '80s and early '90s? Fox, Hornet, Frog, Grasshopper.

At least the '05 Desert Gator body looked like a crocodile snout. I would love to see Tamiya reviving the trend of animal buggies.

It clearly IS a Neo Frog, and I reckon the Neo Fighter name is a nod to the European market. Of course, Tamiya (Japan) first launched the "Fighter Buggy" name with the "Fighter Buggy RX", and this model was used to start the Fighter-series cup in continental Europe. The quite good success (for being outside Japan) of the cup made it logical to release new models/model generations suitable for this cup with "Fighter" names, now with the DT-03. Equally logical that it's called Neo (Mighty) Frog in Japan!

And I agree with you, I've never liked the "Fighter" names either. My understanding is that it originates from the Mini 4WD scene. The oldest Tamiya item I know about with "Fighter" in the name (except fighter planes) is the "15083 1/32 Mini 4WD Fighter Figure" from 1990, which actually has virtually the same "boxart" colours and livery as the Fighter Buggy RX and which are used by Mini 4WD support personnel to this day. Hardly a coincidence, and possibly an indication that the Fighter Buggy RX was intended to recruit Mini 4WD fans into RC, just like Tamiya attempted with the RC Boy's series a few years later. Otherwise, the Fighter Cup just might have ended up with the name "Rookie Rabbit Cup" instead, when considering that the RX is the kit version of the Rookie Rabbit RTR.

Well Fighter Buggy as a name did sell better than Rookie Rabbit :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Rear view. Looks like the DT-02 gearbox.

CVA dampers are depicted as hop-ups.

Seems pretty clear the DT-02 gearbox is used, which despite the lack of gearing options, is absolutely OK in my world.

CVA dampers are a hop-up for the DT-03, but included in at least the kit version of the Neo Fighter / Neo Frog (according to a sign on the Tamiya booth at the fair). I reckon the XB-version will come with friction shocks, just like the DT-02 XB-versions. Possibly for future kit versions too.

I'm liking the new mini pin front tyres on the hopped up model. I don't think I've seen those before.

One of the pictures also mentions the new kick up angle at the front of the car. 25 degrees. That makes a change, as Tamiya front ends don't often have much unless the car is aimed at competition levels.

I'm liking the new mini pin front tyres on the hopped up model. I don't think I've seen those before.

I think you have! ;) (54185 Dual Block Tires K (4WD/Front, 62/25), released in 2009)

Tamiya-Nissan-Titan-1.jpg

So I have. But I always missed them or, not paying much attention to trucks, passed this off as 4WD and thought the same of the front tires. I guess these have been out for a while then. I'll keep my eyes open for some and some 2.2 dish wheels. Not fond of the astral design.

EDIT: Hold on a minute. These tires are 4WD. It says so in the name. And I'm pretty sure these are fitted to the front of DF03 buggies and DB01s etc. That's why I have always thought of these as a 4WD tire (because they are) and never thought twice about them being on the front of a truck. How wide are modern 2WD wheels? I have lightweights, star dish, wild one. All of these seem too thin to take these new tires, not taking diameters into account .

• Like 1

With the name change, I see they have restyled the body accordingly. Now it just needs some headlights...

I personally liked the 'Fighter' series - to me, it suggested aggression, which is always nice to have when driving one as they are sturdy!

But if they bring back the animal names: I have some sketches and design proposals to send to Tamiya... Or even if they bring back unusual verbs/adjectives/nouns as well (i.e.: 'Astute' makes little sense, but who cares?).

• Like 1

So I have. But I always missed them or, not paying much attention to trucks, passed this off as 4WD and thought the same of the front tires. I guess these have been out for a while then. I'll keep my eyes open for some and some 2.2 dish wheels. Not fond of the astral design.

EDIT: Hold on a minute. These tires are 4WD. It says so in the name. And I'm pretty sure these are fitted to the front of DF03 buggies and DB01s etc. That's why I have always thought of these as a 4WD tire (because they are) and never thought twice about them being on the front of a truck. How wide are modern 2WD wheels? I have lightweights, star dish, wild one. All of these seem too thin to take these new tires, not taking diameters into account .

There are three two types of minipin tires:

Narrow: 2WD + 4WD front

Mid-sized: 4WD front

Wide: 2WD + 4WD rear

The Nissan Titan minipin tires are narrow at front (fits to DT-02 Astral dish, DT-02 plain dish and TRF201 dish wheels) and regular 4WD wide at rear.

The DT-02 Star dish wheels are too narrow for these minipin front tires, they are meant to be used with the super narrow ribbed front tires #9805552.

EDIT: Sorry for the confusion, I revised my mistakes.

The Nissan Titan minipin tires are 2WD at front (fits to DT-02 Astral dish, DT-02 plain dish and TRF201 dish wheels) and regular 4WD wide at rear.

Are you sure? I don't own the Nissan Titan myself, but according to the manual;

- the front tires are: 54185 Dual Block Tires K (4WD/Front, 62/25) (despite having the "4WD" designation)

- the rear tires are : 54186 Dual Block Tires K (Rear, 62/35)

Also, my understanding has always been that the Tamiya Dual Block tires just exist in two widths and two different compounds, but got the "4WD" name for the fronts because they weren't intended for RWD buggies at the time of release. Could very well be wrong though!

Edit: These are the four Tamiya Dual Blocks I've been able to identify:

54185 Dual Block Tires K (4WD/Front, 62/25)

54186 Dual Block Tires K (Rear, 62/35)

54187 Dual Block Tires C (4WD/Front, 62/25)

54188 Dual Block Tires C (Rear, 62/35)