kontemax

Question about the Avante Black Special body color.

It seeems a stupid question but the black special is not blak but smoke.

I know the undertray is black, the body can be black or smoke and the wing smoke.

Can you confirm it please?

And what your choose? Why smoke?

I found a vintage nib spare undertray in my store so I decided to buy a new body and wing (I also own two BS sticker sheets) and have a spare BS body but I would like to make it all black.

What do you would do?

Max

Very difficult question Max, I feel compelled to paint it box art but not keen on smoke ..... I'd quite like metallic black. I think I have 3 decal sets and at least 2 spare body sets so may do one of each. First I need a spare avante 2011 to convert.

Chris

Why smoke?

Easy! It's a nod to the Avante Black Special's inspiration and smaller but older brother (originally released in 1989), the Avante Jr. Black Special, which came with a transparent smoke coloured body and wing.

I believe the box art 1:10 Avante Black Special is a black body with a smoke wing.

tam000189_2.jpg

As per the tamiya sites it is smoke.

As per the manual, it says: either smoke or black.

:-).

Max, I will go black if u ask me..;-)

Tamiya manual says either black or smoke on the body and smoke on the wing.

My idea is black and not smoke everywhere but what about metallic black in front of metallic blue of the original one?

Max

Tamiya manual says either black or smoke on the body and smoke on the wing.

My idea is black and not smoke everywhere but what about metallic black in front of metallic blue of the original one?

Max

Metallic blue??..where u mean?

I think black body, smoke wing as in the pic above (but that's just me)

Metallic black would keep the metallic nature of the normal Avante.

Smoke or black to me would depend on whether ..

1. If it's a runner, do you want the electrics to be partly visible, and how neat an install you can manage?

2. If it's a shelfer do you want the chassis to be seen through the shell?

Note that smoke works best in multiple coats , by which time it is quite dark, with little transparency. It's almost impossible to apply a light even coat if smoke.

I know the undertray is black, the body can be black or smoke and the wing smoke.

Can you confirm it please?

And what your choose? Why smoke?

I found a vintage nib spare undertray in my store so I decided to buy a new body and wing (I also own two BS sticker sheets) and have a spare BS body but I would like to make it all black.

What do you would do?

Max

I had the same deliberation and chose smoke. As it turns out the ABS decal set has a lot of black in it so even if you smoke the canopy you will still get the solid black effect in places. I chose smoke mainly because it's a rare choice for Tamiya... I mean how many other cars does Tamiya design that use a smoked canopy right in the instructions sheet??

WP_20140119_017.jpg

Co-incidentally today is about the first day here we had some sunshine so I ran outside to take some pics of my ABS...

WP_20140202_001.jpg

WP_20140202_002.jpg

WP_20140202_003.jpg

WP_20140202_004.jpg

WP_20140202_005.jpg

WP_20140202_006.jpg

WP_20140202_007.jpg

WP_20140202_008.jpg

WP_20140202_009.jpg

WP_20140202_010.jpg

WP_20140202_011.jpg

Now you've said that Quandry I vote smoke all over as the decals do take up a lot of space on the body don't they?!?!?

How about smoke, backed with Mirror Chrome giving you a smoky mirror or black mirror look?

• Like 1

Avante (Vintage or 2011) = Metallic Blue

Avante Black Special = Metallic Black?

Max

Metallic blue??..where u mean?

I'm sure I don't want to display the internals, chassis or electrics, the car will be a shelf queen and as for all my shelfers I don't want wires of any sort.

So the question remains black or metallic black?

And if metallic black what kind or brand of metallic black?

Max

Metallic black would keep the metallic nature of the normal Avante.

Smoke or black to me would depend on whether ..

1. If it's a runner, do you want the electrics to be partly visible, and how neat an install you can manage?
2. If it's a shelfer do you want the chassis to be seen through the shell?

Note that smoke works best in multiple coats , by which time it is quite dark, with little transparency. It's almost impossible to apply a light even coat if smoke.

Personally, I'd go metallic rather than straight black. There are plenty of standard box art cars out there and I tend to try and make sure mine is at least slightly different if not, very different.

If metallic black, how much bling do you want? You can go subtle and use a pearl or fine metallic black, or a chunky flake metallic black. I'm not very familiar with the Tamiya rattle cans so I can't really comment on theirs but if memory serves (and it seems to less and less) Tamiya don't make a PS metallic black. They make a TS metallic black but that is for ABS and Styrene shells not Lexan. If you want to stick with Tamiya rattle cans, you could get a pearl black by spraying the PS Pearl first and then spray black. Alternatively, you could use the Smoke and back it with Silver or Aluminium to get a metallic black.

I'm using a lot of AutoAir/Createx paint at the moment and with that, to get a metallic black, I could use their metallic black, or some combination such as:

- Transparent black backed with Aluminium Fine (for a smooth metallic black), Aluminium Medium (for a bit more chunky flake) or Aluminium Course (for a really chunky flake), or

- Spray Hot Rod Sparkle followed by transparent black backed by one of the aluminiums to get a serious sparkle and bling to the black.

What ever combination you choose, I'd suggest you use a clear plastic sheet, or cut up an old juice container or other clear container and use that as a test of your colour combinations. I've inserted an example of what I mean as a test piece. That way you can figure out if the combination you were considering is actually going to give you what you want. In these tests, I was trying 4 different combinations on each container half. Normally, I would divide it into 3 or 4 rows and 3 or 4 columns depending on how many different combinations I want to test. I have better examples but I don't have photos. I have one that was completely unexpected that looks quite interesting and I can post if you want. It was Cosmic Sparkle Ruby, followed by Candy Yellow, followed by Black. In the sun, it gives a yellow sparkle straight on and a red sparkle on the side cast, otherwise it is simply black.

It is usually better to do more combinations because you can put them away and pull them out at a later date for a future project. But remember to label your tests and don't use the same colour Sharpie as you are painting :huh: You can see that I did just that on the example below and used black on a section painted with black. Oops!

20131230_205222_zps18a5e753.jpg

How do you "make" metallic black with Tamiya PS paints? Tamiya does not have metallic black as a stand alone paint.

Gunmetal is a nice alternative from black, very dark grey with metallic flake.

i airbrushed mine with a cherry black , made for a surprisingly subtlety different look

E3-DB80-FB-CD38-447-C-BB25-0-B6-A8-D1-E0

75-DFF033-39-E3-41-FE-9-E1-B-7-B42-DE71-

0-A869485-1098-4-BAE-B3-AF-9-C4-F2398-F6

• Like 2

20 hours ago, kid168 said:

Anyone got a pic of gun metal? not necessarily on an Avante. can you post. thanks

Not the best photo, nor a curvy body but it's a starter for ten..

IMG-4532-zpsttvbm3mx.jpg

On 2/2/2020 at 1:44 PM, Superluminal said:

Is that clear red backed with smoke?

How have you kept it translucent????

I like that a lot.

Its airbrushed, not rattle can - pretty certain it was Wicked Colors W075 Black Magenta, the coats are thin enough for it to be translucent..

• Like 1

is the gun metal more on the side of grey or a black? the cover of the spray can looks more on the darker side, close  to black