speedy_w_beans

Speedy's CR-01 Build Thread

Saw your post on the Rzeppa joints the other day...  Tempting, but the Tamiya steel prop shafts seem good enough.  The main issue I see is how the transmission and pinion shaft angles are not aligned if you follow the kit instructions, so the one U-joint doesn't cancel the other correctly.

Someone wanted to buy this model from me; I had to turn him down.  It would be impossible to build this again if I ever let it go!

• Like 1

Thread resurrection again  lol!

Be interested to know where you finally got to with this Paul.  I'm not surprised you didn't sell, it was perhaps the ultimate CR-01

I got my first one done pretty much a month or so behind your build (plenty of hop-ups, but nothing as extravagant as yours)..

IMG-0152-zpsbb600117.jpg

I then bought extra parts to utilise the leftovers from my first as a more stock build (which still ended up with quite a few alloy parts from KM Racing / STRC  including a fixed position & locked rear axle)..

42-C63-F79-6-D17-4379-86-A5-E761-F5047-C

I still have them both, and neither have turned a wheel under power :( , both photos are static staged images !

• Like 2

Hi Percymon, it's good to hear from you again!  There haven't been any changes since 2015 (five years?  really?  :blink:), but this model is still special to me just like the "Bump Steer" Lunch Box, TRF801XT, RM01 Stratos, F103GT Nismo, and Sport 3.2 Hot Wheel.  There are always new ideas and new directions to pursue, and never enough time to do it all!

18 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Hi Percymon, it's good to hear from you again!  There haven't been any changes since 2015 (five years?  really?  :blink:), but this model is still special to me just like the "Bump Steer" Lunch Box, TRF801XT, RM01 Stratos, F103GT Nismo, and Sport 3.2 Hot Wheel.  There are always new ideas and new directions to pursue, and never enough time to do it all!

Ah the infamous 'cheap deal'  801XT - yes must dig that thread out too ;)

Hi all, first post ever. Here are my two CR-01s. The bigger one is 8 wheel drive and steer. It’s built from left overs from the Beetle and a second Unimog, extended cab achieved buy using the two bodies. Took awhile to build but mainly done to a lack of time on my behalf.

2AB6D347-FBBC-4809-889E-A58207C4DA0C.jpeg

• Like 7